In this paper, a localization algorithm for mixed near-field and far-field sources by an interlaced nested array is proposed. The fourth-order cumulants (FOCs) of the received data are used to construct a FOC matrix, by which the angles of all signals can be estimated. Then, an effective method is driven to separate the directions of arrival (DOAs) of near-field and far-field sources without extreme value search. The ranges of the near-field sources can be estimated by one-dimensional (1D) search. Compared with existing nested array-based algorithms, the proposed algorithm can distinguish more sources and has higher estimation accuracy. Some simulation results are shown to certify the superiority of proposed algorithm.
"Localization for Mixed Near-Field and Far-Field Sources by Interlaced Nested Array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 82, 107-115, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM19042501
1. Schmidt, R. O., "Multiple emitter location and signal parameter estimation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagation, Vol. 34, No. 3, 276-280, 1986.
2. Rao, B. D. and K. V. S. Hari, "Performance analysis of root-MUSIC," IEEE Transactions on Acoustics Speech and Signal Processing, Vol. 37, No. 12, 1939-1949, 1989.
3. Roy, R. and T. Kailath, "ESPRIT-estimation of signal parameters via rotational invariance techniques," IEEE Transactions on Acoustics Speech and Signal Processing, Vol. 37, No. 7, 984-995, 1989.
4. Marcos, S., A. Marsal, and M. Benidir, "The propagator method for source bearing estimation," Signal Processing, Vol. 42, No. 2, 121-138, 1995.
5. Huang, Y. D. and M. Barkat, "Near-field multiple sources localization by passive sensor array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagation, Vol. 39, No. 7, 968-975, 1991.
6. Zhi, W. and Y. M. Chia, "Near-field source localization via symmetric subarrays," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 14, No. 6, 409-412, 2007.
7. Jiang, J. J., F. J. Duan, J. Chen, et al. "Algorithm to classify and locate near-field and far-field mixed sources," Journal of Tianjin University (Science and Technology), Vol. 41, No. 4, 46-50, 2013.
8. He, J., M. N. Swamy, and M. O. Ahmad, "Efficient application of MUSIC algorithm under the coexistence of far-field and near-field sources," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 60, No. 4, 2066-2070, 2012.
9. Liang, J. and D. Liu, "Passive localization of mixed near-field and far-field sources using two-stage MUSIC algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 58, No. 1, 108-120, 2010.
10. Zheng, Z., J. Sun, W. Q. Wang, et al. "Classification and localization of mixed near-field and far-field sources using mixed-order statistics," Signal Processing, Vol. 143, 134-139, 2018.
11. Zheng, Z., M. Fu, D. Jiang, et al. "Localization of mixed far-field and near-field sources via cumulant matrix reconstruction," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 18, No. 18, 7671-7680, 2018.
12. Li, J., Y. Wang, C. Le Bastard, et al. "Low-complexity high-order propagator method for near-field source localization," Sensors, Vol. 19, No. 1, 54, 2019.
13. Vaidyanathan, P. P. and P. Pal, "Sparse sensing with co-prime samplers and arrays," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 59, No. 2, 573-586, 2011.
14. Pal, P. and P. P. Vaidyanathan, "Nested arrays: A novel approach to array processing with enhanced degrees of freedom," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 58, No. 8, 4167-4181, 2011.
15. Yang, M., L. Sun, X. Yuan, and B. Chen, "Improved nested array with hole-free DCA and more degrees of freedom," Electron. Lett., Vol. 52, 2068-2070, 2016.
16. Liang, G. L. and B. Han, "Near-field sources localization based on co-prime symmetric array," Journal of Electronics & Information Technology, Vol. 36, No. 1, 135-139, 2014.
17. Wang, B., Y. Zhao, and J. Liu, "Mixed-order MUSIC algorithm for localization of far-field and near-field sources," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 20, No. 4, 311-314, 2013.
18. Ebrahimi, A. A., H. R. Abutalebi, and M. Karimi, "Localisation of mixed near-field and far-field sources using the largest aperture sparse linear array," IET Signal Processing, Vol. 12, No. 2, 155-162, 2017.
19. Si, W., X. Li, Y. Jiang, and L. Liang, "A novel method based on oblique projection technology for mixed sources estimation," Mathematical Problems in Engineering, Vol. 2014, 1-12, 2014.
20. Liu, G. and X. Sun, "Spatial differencing method for mixed far-field and near-field sources localization," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 21, No. 11, 1331-1335, 2014.
21. Chen, H., W. P. Zhu, W. Liu, M. N. S. Swamyb, Y. Li, and Q. Wang, "RARE-based localization for near-field and far-field rectilinear sources," Digital Signal Processing, Vol. 85, 54-61, 2019.