A compact square patch band-pass filter is proposed in this paper. The dual-mode filter is designed based on a square patch resonator with a complementary split ring resonator (CSRR) split to be used as a perturbation element. The CSRR split is properly embedded in the square patch resonator to perturb electric current distribution on this patch and thus to simultaneously excite a pair of degenerate modes. Using the proposed CSRR elements, the band-pass filter is designed with miniaturized size, and two transmission zeros in stopbands are achieved to improve the selectivity of the filter. The influence of the CSRR elements on the band-pass filter is analyzed in detail. The proposed dual-mode filter is then fabricated and measured. Good agreement over a wide frequency range is achieved between the simulated and measured results. Moreover, in order to further investigate the characteristic of the dual-mode patch filters with CSRR perturbation, a dual-mode filter with a rectangular ring slot is presented for comparative study.
1. Wolff, I., "Microstrip bandpass filter using degenerate modes of a microstrip ring resonator," Electron. Lett., Vol. 8, No. 12, 302-303, June 1972. doi:10.1049/el:19720223
2. Chen, J. X., J. Li, and J. Shi, "Miniaturized dual-band differential filter using dual-mode dielectric resonator," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 28, No. 8, 657-659, Jun. 2018. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2018.2842681
3. Gomez-Garcıa, R., J.-M. Munoz-Ferreras, and W. J. Feng, "Balanced symmetrical quasi-reflectionless single-and dual-band band-pass planar filters," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 28, No. 9, 798-800, Aug. 2018. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2018.2856400
4. Choudhury, S. R., A. Sengupta, and S. Das, "Band-pass filters using multilayered microstrip structures," 2018 Emerging Trends in Electronic Devices and Computational Techniques (EDCT), 8-9, Kolkata, 2018.
5. Hong, J. S. and M. J. Lancaster, "Microstrip band-pass filter using degenerate modes of a novel meander loop resonator," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 5, No. 11, 371-372, Nov. 1995. doi:10.1109/75.473539
6. Cheng, K.-K. M., "Design of dual-mode ring resonators with transmission zeros," Electronics Letters, Vol. 33, No. 16, 1392-1393, Jul. 1997. doi:10.1049/el:19970947
7. Das, T. K. and S. Chatterjee, "Harmonic suppression in an in-line Chebyshev band-pass filter by asymmetrical perturbations," 2017 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave and RF Conference (IMaRC), 11-13, Ahmedabad, 2017.
8. Sung, Y., "Compact and low insertion loss dual-mode band-pass filter," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 12, 3201-3206, Dec. 2008. doi:10.1002/mop.23902
9. Zhang, R. Q., L. Zhu, and S. Luo, "Dual-mode dual-band bandpass filter using a single slotted circular patch resonator," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 22, No. 5, 233-235, Apr. 2012. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2012.2192419
10. La, D. S., X. L. Ma, H. Y. Chen, and Y. P. Wu, "Novel dual-mode patch band-pass filters with slot structures," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, No. 9, 2130-2133, Sept. 2012. doi:10.1002/mop.27002
11. Akgun, O., B. S. Teekici, and A. Gorur, "Reduced-size dual-mode slotted patch resonator for lowloss and narrowband band-pass filter applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, No. 20, 1275-1277, Sept. 2004. doi:10.1049/el:20045840
12. Huang, J. Q. and Q. X. Chu, "Compact UWB band-pass filter utilizing modified composite right/left-handed structure with cross coupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 179-186, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10070403
13. Pendry, J. B., J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 11, 2075-2084, Dec. 1999. doi:10.1109/22.798002
14. Bonache, J., F. Mart´ın, F. Falcone, and J. D. Baena, "Application of complementary splitring resonators to the design of compact narrow band-pass structures in microstrip technology," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 46, No. 5, 508-512, Sept. 2005. doi:10.1002/mop.21031
15. Zhang, Q. L., W. Y. Yin, and S. He, "Evanescent-mode Substrate Integrated Waveguide (SIW) filters implemented with complementary split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 419-432, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER10110307
16. Hong, J. S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, 256-258, John Wiley & Sons, Inc. , New York, 2001. doi:10.1002/0471221619