Co-design of corner bent Multiple-Input Multiple-Output (MIMO) antennas catering to 4G LTE and mmWave 5G applications is proposed. The 4G LTE MIMO antenna module consists of two element microstrip-fed slot antennas operating from 1.7 to 3 GHz with fractional bandwidth of 55%, which covers LTE1900, LTE2300, and LTE2500 bands. For mmWave 5G MIMO antenna module, two element Vivaldi antennas with wideband operating from 25 to 38 GHz and fractional bandwidth of 41% are proposed. The mmWave 5G microstrip fed Vivaldi MIMO antennas exhibit orthogonal pattern diversity at 28 GHz with 1-dB gain bandwidth of 28%. The single element corner bent co-designed antenna is compact having dimensions of 14 × 51 × 0.254 mm3. The 4G LTE and mmWave 5G antennas are electrically close to each other by 0.01λ at 1.7 GHz for minimal physical footprint. Co-designed 4G LTE and mmWave MIMO antennas are integrated inside a typical mobile case. Simulated and measured results are presented.
Muhammad Idrees Magray,
Gulur Sadananda Karthikeya,
Shiban Kishen Koul,
"Corner Bent Integrated Design of 4G LTE and mmWave
5G Antennas for Mobile Terminals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 84, 167-175, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM19062603
1. Ji, J. K., "Compact multiband antenna employing wideband dual ZOR for mobile handset applications," ICT Express, Vol. 3, No. 2, 81-84, 2017. doi:10.1016/j.icte.2017.05.001
2. Kurvinen, J., H. Kähkönen, A. Lehtovuori, J. Ala-Laurinaho, and V. Viikari, "Co-designed mm-wave and LTE handset antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 3, 1545-1553, Mar. 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2888823
3. Sharawi, M. S., M. Ikram, and A. Shamim, "A two concentric slot loop based connected array MIMO antenna system for 4G/5G terminals," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 12, 6679-6686, Dec. 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2671028
4. Hussain, R., A. T. Alreshaid, S. K. Podilchak, and M. S. Sharawi, "Compact 4G MIMO antenna integrated with a 5G array for current and future mobile handsets," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 11, No. 2, 271-279, Feb. 2017. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2016.0738
5. Gauthier, G. P., A. Courtay, and G. M. Rebeiz, "Microstrip antennas on synthesized low dielectric-constant substrates," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 8, 1310-1314, Aug. 1997. doi:10.1109/8.611252
6. Alhalabi, R. A. and G. M. Rebeiz, "Differentially-fed millimeter-wave Yagi-Uda antennas with folded dipole feed," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 3, 966-969, Mar. 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2039320
7. Sarabandi, K., J. Oh, L. Pierce, K. Shivakumar, and S. Lingaiah, "Lightweight, conformal antennas for robotic flapping flyers," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 56, No. 6, 29-40, Dec. 2014. doi:10.1109/MAP.2014.7011015
8. Jilani, S. F. and A. Alomainy, "Planar millimeter-wave antenna on low-cost flexible PET substrate for 5G applications," 2016 10th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-3, Davos, 2016.
9. Zhang, C., J. Gong, Y. Li, and Y. Wang, "Zeroth-order-mode circular microstrip antenna with patch-like radiation pattern," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 3, 446-449, 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2794553
10. Jarufe, C., et al. "Optimized corrugated tapered slot antenna for mm-wave applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 3, 1227-1235, Mar. 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2797534
11. Schaubert, D., E. Kollberg, T. Korzeniowski, T. Thungren, J. Johansson, and K. Yngvesson, "Endfire tapered slot antennas on dielectric substrates," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 33, No. 12, 1392-1400, Dec. 1985. doi:10.1109/TAP.1985.1143542
12. Sugawara, S., Y. Maita, K. Adachi, K. Mori, and K. Mizuno, "Characteristics of a MM-wave tapered slot antenna with corrugated edges," IEEE MTT - S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., Vol. 2, 533-536, Jun. 1998.
13. Karthikeya, G. S., M. P. Abegaonkar, and S. K. Koul, "CPW fed wideband corner bent antenna for 5G mobile terminals," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 10967-10975, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2891728
15. Valagiannopoulos, C. A. and N. K. Uzunoglu, "Green's function of a parallel plate waveguide with multiple abrupt changes of interwall distances," Radio Science, Vol. 44, No. 5, 1-12, Oct. 2009.
16. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "Isolating the singular term of the green's function in the vicinity of the corner formulated by two intersecting waveguides," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 55, 16-23, 2013. doi:10.1002/mop.27227
17. Ma, C., Q. Zhang, and E. Keuren, "Right-angle slot waveguide bends with high bending efficiency," Opt. Express, Vol. 16, 14330-14334, 2008. doi:10.1364/OE.16.014330
18. Monzon, C., D. W. Forester, and P. Loschialpo, "Exact solution to line source scattering by an ideal left-handed wedge," Physical Review. E, Vol. 72, 056606, 2005. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.72.056606
19. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "On smoothening the singular field developed in the vicinity of metallic edges," International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, Vol. 31, 67-77, 2009. doi:10.3233/JAE-2009-1048
20. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "On examining the influence of a thin dielectric strip posed across the diameter of a penetrable radiating cylinder," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 3, 203-214, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERC08042906