In this paper, a compact planar mono-band multiple input multiple output (MIMO) antenna with four monopole elements is presented for X-band satellite applications (7.2-7.8 GHz). The MIMO antenna resonates at 7.5 GHz, with high isolation (more than 26 dB) between its ports. It consists of a four closely arranged symmetric monopole antennas with edge-to-edge distance of 7.2 mm (0.18λ). In the top face, different forms are loaded at the rectangular patch. U slot defected ground structure (DGS) has embedded in the ground plane. The prototype of the proposed MIMO antenna is simulated, fabricated and measured to examine the performance of this antenna in terms of S parameters, radiation patterns, the envelope of correlation coefficient (ECC) and the diversity gain (DG). As a result, the presented antenna has a high isolation (S12 < -26 dB) at 7.5 GHz with impedance bandwidths is about 430 MHz (7.28 GHz-7.71 GHz), which covers the X-band applications. The diversity gain is about 10, and the envelope correlation coefficient of antenna is less than 0.02 which means that the antenna has high performance at the resonance frequency.
Mohssine El Ouahabi,
Naima Amar Touhami,
"Design of a Four-Element MIMO Antenna with Low Mutual Coupling in a Small Size for Satelitte Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 85, 95-104, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM19071202
1. Soltani, S. and R. D. Murch, "A compact planar printed MIMO antenna design," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, 1140-1149, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2389242
2. Ahmed, B. T., P. S. Olivares, J. L. M. Campos, and F. M. Vázquez, "3.1-20 GHz MIMO antennas," AEU - International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 94, 348-358, 2018. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2018.07.026
3. Lo, T. K. and Y. Hwang, "Microstrip antennas of very high permittivity for personal communications," 1997 Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, 253-256, 1997.
4. Yang, B., M. Chen, and L. Li, "Design of a four-element WLAN/LTE/UWB MIMO antenna using half-slot structure," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 93, 354-359, 2018. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2018.05.034
5. Acharjee, J., K. Mandal, and S. K. Mandal, "Reduction of mutual coupling and cross-polarization of a MIMO/diversity antenna using a String of H-shaped DGS," AEU - International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 97, 110-119, 2018. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2018.09.037
6. Manouare, A. Z., S. Ibnyaich, A. El Idrissi, and A. Ghammaz, "Miniaturized triple wideband CPW-fed patch antenna with a defected ground structure for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Journal of Microwaves, Ptoelectronics and Electromagnetic Applications, Vol. 15, No. 3, 157-169, Sep. 2016. doi:10.1590/2179-10742016v15i3497
7. Banerjee, J., A. Karmakar, R. Ghatak, and D. R. Poddar, "Compact CPW-fed UWB MIMO antenna with a novel modified Minkowski fractal Defected Ground Structure (DGS) for high isolation and triple bandnotch characteristic," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 31, No. 15, 1550-1565, 2017. doi:10.1080/09205071.2017.1354727
8. Kamal, S. and A. A. Chaudhari, "Printed meander line MIMO antenna integrated with air gap, DGS and RIS: A low mutual coupling design for LTE applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 71, 149-159, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERC16112008
9. Bhadouria, A. S. and M. Kumar, "Microstrip X-band antenna with improvement in performance using DGS," Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol. 4, No. 2, 31-35, 2014.
10. Kumar, N. and U. K. Kommuri, "MIMO antenna mutual coupling reduction for WLAN using spiro meander line UC-EBG," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 80, 65-77, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC17101601
11. Dabas, T., D. Gangwar, B. K. Kanaujia, and A. K. Gautam, "Mutual coupling reduction between elements of UWB MIMO antenna using small size uniplanar EBG exhibiting multiple stop bands," AEU - International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 93, 32-38, 2018. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2018.05.033
12. Wu, W., B. Yuan, and A. Wu, "A quad-element UWB-MIMO antenna with band-notch and reduced mutual coupling based on EBG structures," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2018, 10 pages, 2018.
13. Lee, Y., H. Chung, J. Ha, and J. Choi, "Design of a MIMO antenna with improved isolation using meta-material," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 231-234, Mar. 2011.
14. Chen, X., B. Feng, Q. Zeng, and K. L. Chung, "A substrate integrated magneto-electric dipole antenna and its 3D MIMO system with metasurface for 5G/WiMAX/WLAN/X-BAND applications," 2017 International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (ISAP), Phuket, Thailand, Oct. 30-Nov. 2, 2017.
15. Nirdosh, C. M. Tan, and M. R. Tripathy, "A miniaturized T-shaped MIMO antenna for X-band and Ku-band applications with enhanced radiation efficiency," 2018 27th Wireless and Optical Communication Conference (WOCC), Hualien, Taiwan, Apr. 30-May 1, 2018.
16. Nirdosh, A. Kakkar, and S. Sah, "A two-element wideband MIMO antenna for X band, Ku-band, K-band applications," 2018 5th International Conference on Signal Processing and Integrated Networks (SPIN), Noida, India, Feb. 22-23, 2018.
17. Sun, D. and C. Wei, "Analysis and design of 4 × 4 MIMO-antenna systems in mobile phone," Journal of Computer and Communications, 26-33, 2016. doi:10.4236/jcc.2016.42004
18. Kumari, T., G. Das, A. Sharma, and R. Kumar, "Design approach for dual element hybrid MIMO antenna arrangement for wideband applications," Int. J. RF Microwave Computer Aided Eng., 1-10, 2018.
19. Wang, Z., L. Zhao, Y. Cai, S. Zheng, and Y. Yin, "A Meta-surface Antenna Array Decoupling (MAAD) method for mutual coupling reduction in a MIMO antenna system," Scientific Reports, 1-9, 2018.
20. Zhang, J., J. Ou Yang, K. Z. Zhang, and F. Yang, "A novel dual-band MIMO antenna with lower correlation coefficient," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2012, Article ID 512975, 7 pages, 2012.
21. Pierce, J. N. and S. Stein, "Multiple diversity with non independent fading," Proceedings of the IRE, Vol. 48, 89-104, Jan. 1960. doi:10.1109/JRPROC.1960.287384
22. Schwartz, M., W. R. Bennett, and S. Stein, Communication System and Techniques, 470-474, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1965.
23. Vasu Babu, K. and B. Anuradha, "Tri-band MIMO antenna for WLAN, WiMAX and defence system & radio astronomy applications," Advanced Electromagnetics, Vol. 7, No. 2, Mar. 2018.
24. Satam, V. and S. Nema, "Defected ground structure planar dual element MIMO antenna for wireless and short range RADAR application," 2015 IEEE International Conference on Signal Processing, Informatics, Communication and Energy Systems (SPICES), Kozhikode, India, Feb. 19-21, 2015.
25. Pouyanfar, N., C. Ghobadi, J. Nourinia, K. Pedram, and M. Majidzadeh, "A compact multiband MIMO antenna with high isolation for C and X bands using defected ground structure," Radioengineering, Vol. 27, No. 3, 686-693, 2018. doi:10.13164/re.2018.0686
26. Sarkar, D. and K. V. Srivastava, "A compact four-element MIMO/diversity antenna with enhanced bandwidth," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2469-2472, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2724439
27. Ghosh, C. K., "A compact 4-channel microstrip MIMO antenna with reduced mutual coupling," AEU - International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 70, No. 7, 873-879, Jul. 2016. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2016.03.018