In this paper, a dual-polarisation shared-aperture duplex antenna is presented for satellite communications at the standard microwave Ku-band, based on the integrated filtering-antenna concept and co-design approach. The design relies on the use of resonators coupled to the radiating dual-band dual-polarisation antenna. The resonant patch antenna forms one pole of each channel filter, resulting in a third-order filter in the Rx channel and a second-order filter in the Tx channel. The Rx and Tx ports of the antenna take in horizontal and vertical linear polarisations, respectively. The integrated duplexer helps to increase the isolation between the ports and the selectivity of each channel. The integration between the filter and the antenna is achieved by electromagnetic coupling, without the need of external matching circuits. Thus it attains a compact footprint. The operation frequencies of the demonstrated duplexantenna are from 11 to 12.5 GHz (12.8%) for the downlink to the Rx port, and from 13 to 14.4 GHz (10.2%) for the uplink at the Tx port. High port-to-port isolation of over 40 dB is realized to reduce channel interference. Flat in-band average gains are achieved to be 8.3 and 8.6 dBi, for the low- and high-bands, respectively.
Mostafa Gamal Aly,
"A Ku-Band Filtering Duplex Antenna for Satellite Communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 85, 1-10, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM19071506
1. Chen, F., H. Hu, J. Qiu, M. Guo, and Q. Chu, "Novel diplexer with improved isolation using asymmetric transmission zeros technique," Chinese J. Electron., Vol. 25, No. 3, 591-594, 2016. doi:10.1049/cje.2016.05.028
2. Lee, Y. J., J. H. Tarng, and S. J. Chung, "A filtering diplexing antenna for dual-band operation with similar radiation patterns and low cross-polarization levels," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 58-61, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2554603
3. Cheong, P., K. F. Chang, W. W. Choi, and K. W. Tam, "A highly integrated antenna-triplexer with simultaneous three-port isolations based on multi-mode excitation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 1, 363-368, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2364299
4. Lin, X., Z.-M. Xie, P.-S. Zhang, and Y. Zhang, "Broadband filtering duplex patch antenna with high isolation," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., 2017.
5. Duan, W., X. Y. Zhang, Y.-M. Pan, J.-X. Xu, and Q. Xue, "Dual-polarized filtering antenna with high selectivity and low cross polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 10, 4188-4196, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2594818
6. De Luis, J. R., A. Morris, Q. Gu, and F. De Flaviis, "Tunable duplexing antenna system for wireless transceivers," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 11, 5484-5487, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2207869
7. Mao, C. X., S. Gao, Y. Wang, F. Qin, and Q. X. Chu, "Compact highly integrated planar duplex antenna for wireless communications," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 64, No. 7, 2006-2013, 2016. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2016.2574338
8. Zayniyev, D. and D. Budimir, "An integrated antenna-filter with harmonic rejection," 3rd Eur. Conf. Antennas Propag., 393-394, 2009.
9. Chen, C. F., T. Y. Huang, C. P. Chou, and R. B. Wu, "Microstrip diplexers design with common resonator sections for compact size, but high isolation," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 5, 1945-1952, 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.873613
10. Wu, W. J., Y. Z. Yin, S. L. Zuo, Z. Y. Zhang, and J. J. Xie, "A new compact filter-antenna for modern wireless communication systems," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 1131-1134, 2011.
11. Wu, W., C. Wang, X. Wang, and Q. Liu, "Design of a compact fitler-antenna using dgs structure for modern wireless communication systems," IEEE Int. Symp. Microwave, Antenna, Propag. EMC Technol. Wirel. Commun., 355-358, 2013.
12. Wu, W., J. Wang, R. Fan, and Q. Zhang, "A broadband low profile microstrip filter-antenna with an omni-directional pattern," Asia-Pacific Conf. Antennas Propag., 580-582, 2014.
13. Shang, X. and M. J. Lancaster, "Patch antenna with integrated bandpass filter," 4th Annu. Semin. Passiv. RF Microw. Components, 1-5, 2013.
14. Kang, C., H. Zhang, Y. Wang, and L. Xu, "A new compact edge coupled filter-antenna," Int. Symp. Antennas, Propag. EM Theory, 115-117, 2016.
15. Liao, C., Y. Lin, C. Chen, S. Kao, and H. Chen, "A novel aperture-coupled circularly polarized square-ring patch antenna for wireless communication systems," IEEE 5th Asia-Pacific Conf. Antennas Propag., 57-58, 2016.
16. Kaouach, H. and A. Kabashi, "Antenna-filter-antenna based frequency selective surfaces for quasi-optical applications in Q-band," Int. Work. Antenna Technol., 1-4, 2015.
17. Naseri, P., F. Khosravi, and P. Mousavi, "Antenna-filter-antenna-based transmit-array for circular-polarization application," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 1225, 2016.
18. Li, T., H. Cheng, and X. Gong, "Integrated single-fed circularly-polarized patch antennas with high-Q cavity filters," IEEE Antennas Propag. Soc. Int. Symp., 1873-1874, 2014.
19. Liu, Q., C. Yu, X. Wu, Z. Zhang, and S. Wang, "A novel design of dual-band microstrip filter antenna," IEEE Adv. Inf. Manag. Commun. Electron. Autom. Control Conf., 1573-1576, 2016.
20. Shang, X., Y. Wang, W. Xia, and M. J. Lancaster, "Novel multiplexer topologies based on all-resonator structures," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 61, No. 11, 3838-3845, 2013. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2013.2284496
21. Wong, K., Compact and Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Vol. 3, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2002. doi:10.1002/0471221112
22. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., Vol. 28, No. 3, John Wiley & Sons, 2012.
23. Hong, J. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, Vol. 7, John Wiley & Sons, 2001. doi:10.1002/0471221619
24. Muhsin and R. P. Pudji, "Dual-cross-polarized antenna decoupling for 43 GHz planar massive MIMO in full duplex single channel communications," Int. J. Adv. Comput. Sci. Appl., Vol. 10, No. 4, 364-370, 2019.