In this paper, a design method that employs simulated annealing (SA) algorithm to create stub structure of a dual-layer microstrip patch antenna for circular polarization is presented. Firstly, based on established controls of SA algorithm, a series of stub structures have been created automatically on the stacked parasitic element - (Split Ring Resonator) SRR of antenna. The desired stub structure is chosen according to the generation of orthogonal modes that produce circular polarization through the electromagnetic coupling to the driven patch with an SRR-shaped slot. Then, a dual-layer microstrip patch antenna with a Z-shaped stub and left-hand circularly polarized (LHCP) characteristic is obtained by employing the assisted design. The designed antenna is simulated, optimized, fabricated, and measured. The results show that the microstrip patch antenna with Z-shaped stub has a simulated minimum axial ratio of 1.64 dB at 2.4 GHz, and the measured peak gain can be up to 5.87 dBi.
"A Dual-Layer Microstrip Patch Antenna with Stub Designed by Simulated Annealing Algorithm for Circular Polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 85, 155-164, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM19071805
1. Tseng, L. Y. and T. Y. Han, "An evolutionary design method using genetic local search algorithm to obtain broad/dual-band characteristics for circular polarization slot antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 5, 1449-1456, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2044312
2. Diego, F. M., S. S. Eduardo, and C. N. Daniel, "Circularly polarised rectangular microstrip antenna design with arbitrary input impedance," IET Microwaves Antennas Propag., Vol. 12, No. 9, 1532-1540, 2018. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2017.1171
3. Yang, W. W., J. Y. Zhou, Z. Q. Yu, and L. S. Li, "Single-fed low profile broadband circularly polarized stacked patch antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 10, 5406-5410, 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2344657
4. Liu, Z. X., L. Zhu, and X. Zhang, "A low-profile and high-gain CP patch antenna with improved AR bandwidth via perturbed ring resonator," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 2, 397-401, 2019. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2019.2892097
5. Hanieh, A., A. Abdolali, C. Alessandra, M. Diego, M. Rashid, and M. Pedram, "ANN-based design of a versatile millimetrewave slotted patch multi-antenna configuration for 5G scenarios," IET Microwaves Antennas Propag., Vol. 11, No. 9, 1288-1295, 2017. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2016.0987
6. Yao, Z., J. Huang, S. Wang, and R. Ruby, "Efficient local optimisation-based approach for non-convex and non-smooth source localisation problems," IET Radar, Sonar & Navigation, Vol. 11, No. 7, 1051-1054, 2017. doi:10.1049/iet-rsn.2016.0433
7. Seo, D. C. and Y. Sung, "Stacked open-loop square ring antenna for circular polarization operation," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 835-838, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2380358
8. Sung, Y., "Stub-loaded square-ring antenna for circular polarization applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 30, No. 11, 1465-1473, 2016. doi:10.1080/09205071.2016.1202788
9. Sharma, V., B. Sharma, V. K. Saxena, K. B. Sharma, M. M. Sharma, and D. Bhatnagar, "Circularly polarized stacked square patch microstrip antenna with tuning stubs," Indian Antenna Week, Kolkata, India, December 18-22, 2011.
10. Coleman, C. M., E. J. Rothwell, and J. E. Ross, "Investigation of simulated annealing, ant-colony optimization, and genetic algorithms for self-structuring antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 4, 1007-1014, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.825658
11. Deb, A., J. S. Roy, and B. Gupta, "Performance comparison of differential evolution, particle swarm optimization and genetic algorithm in the design of circularly polarized microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 8, 3920-3928, 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2322880
12. Chang, L., C. Liao, W. Lin, L.-L. Chen, and X. Zheng, "A hybrid method based on differential evolution and continuous ant colony optimization and its application on wideband antenna design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 105-108, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11092207
13. Rattan, M., M. S. Patterh, and B. S. Sohi, "Optimization of circular antenna arrays of isotropic radiators using simulated annealing," Int. J. Microw. Wirel. Technol., Vol. 1, No. 5, 441-446, 2009. doi:10.1017/S1759078709990687
14. Jauhri, A., J. D. Lohn, and D. S. Linden, "A comparison of antenna placement algorithms," Companion Publ. Genet. Evol. Comput. Conf., Vancouver, BC, Canada, July 12-16, 2014.
15. Abri, M., N. Boukli-Hacene, and F. T. Bendimerad, "Application of the simulated annealing to the synthesis of ring printed antennas arrays," Ann. Telecommun., Vol. 60, No. 11-12, 1422-1438, 2005.
16. Suman, B. and P. Kumar, "A survey of simulated annealing as a tool for single and multiobjective optimization," J. Oper. Res. Soc., Vol. 37, No. 10, 1143-1160, 2006. doi:10.1057/palgrave.jors.2602068