Regarding the increasing application of terahertz technology, the interest in using two-wire waveguides is getting more and more popular due to their favorable propagation properties. Therefore, a more accurate analysis of these structures is very important. In this paper, a simple analysis of the guided waves in a two-wire waveguide based on Bipolar Coordinate System (BCS) has been investigated. The structure under study is two infinite perfect electric conductor (PEC) cylinders in z direction, whose axes are positioned at a distance d from each other. The solution of TE and TM modes is sought by the aid of electromagnetic formulation, and an analytical expression is proposed for electromagnetic fields and cutoff wave numbers, which have not been present in any of the previous studies. In this study, for the first time a BCS has been used to formulate two-wire waveguide problem, and the validity range of the answer is discussed. The values of the cutoff wave numbers are calculated for the first few modes of TE and TM, using both the proposed method and Finite Difference Method (FDM). The precise correspondence of the obtained values with the proposed method with those of FDM, along with the high speed and simplicity in implementation, introduces the present method as an appropriate candidate for analyzing transmission lines using parallel cylinders.
1. Mbonye, M. K., V. Astley, W. L. Chan, J. A. Deibel, and D. M. Mittleman, "A THz dual wire waveguide," Conf. Lasers Electro-Optics (p. CThLL1). Opt. Soc. Am., 2007.
2. Zhong, R. B., M. Hu, Y. Zhang, and S. G. Liu, "Theoretical study on dual-wire waveguide," Infrared, Millimeter, THz Waves, 2009. IRMMW-THz 2009. 34th Int. Conf. (1-2). IEEE, 2009, DOI: 10.1109/ICIMW.2009.5324777.
3. Mbonye, M., R. Mendis, and D. Mittleman, "A THz two-wire waveguide with low bending loss," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 95, 233506, 2009. doi:10.1063/1.3268790
4. Pahlevaninezhad, H. and T. E. Darcie, "Coupling of THz waves to a two-wire waveguide," Opt. Express, Vol. 18, No. 22, 22614-22624, 2010. doi:10.1364/OE.18.022614
5. Pahlevaninezhad, H., T. Darcie, and B. Heshmat, "Two-wire waveguide for THz," Opt. Express, Vol. 18, 7415-7420, 2010. doi:10.1364/OE.18.007415
6. Dickason, J. and K. W. Goosen, "Loss analysis for a two wire optical waveguide for chip-to-chip communication," Opt. Express, Vol. 21, 5226-5232, 2013. doi:10.1364/OE.21.005226
7. Markov, A. and M. Skorobogatiy, "Two-wire THz fibers with porous dielectric support," Opt. Express, Vol. 21, No. 10, 12728-43, May 2013. doi:10.1364/OE.21.012728
8. Gao, H., Q. Cao, D. Teng, M. Zhu, and K. Wang, "Perturbative solution for THz two-wire metallic waveguides with different radii," Opt. Express, Vol. 23, No. 21, 27457-73, Oct. 19, 2015.
9. Hinds, E. A., C. J. Vale, and M. G. Boshier, "Two-wire waveguide and interferometer for cold atoms," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 86, No. 8, 1462, Feb. 19, 2001. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.86.1462
10. Markov, A., H. Guerboukha, and M. Skorobogatiy, "Hybrid metal wire-dielectric THz waveguides: Challenges and opportunities," JOSA B, Vol. 31, No. 11, 2587-600, Nov. 1, 2014. doi:10.1364/JOSAB.31.002587
11. Teng, D., Q. Cao, S. Li, and H. Gao, "Tapered dual elliptical plasmon waveguides as highly efficient THz connectors between approximate plate waveguides and two-wire waveguides," JOSA A, Vol. 31, No. 2, 268-73, Feb. 1, 2014. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.31.000268
12. Markov, A., G. Yan, and M. Skorobogatiy, "Low-loss THz waveguide Bragg grating using a twowire waveguide and a paper grating," Infrared, Millimeter, THz waves (IRMMW-THz), 2014 39th Int. Conf. on. IEEE, Vol. 38, No. 16, 3089-3092, 2014.
13. Mridha, M. K., et al., "Active THz two-wire waveguides," Opt. Express, Vol. 22, No. 19, 22340, 2014. doi:10.1364/OE.22.022340
14. Zha, J., G. J. Kim, and T. I. Jeon, "Enhanced THz guiding properties of curved two-wire lines," Opt. Express, Vol. 24, No. 6, 6136-44, Mar. 21, 2016. doi:10.1364/OE.24.006136
15. Schelkunoff, A. S., Electromagnetic-Waves, 1943.
16. Lee, K. S. H., "Two parallel terminated conductors in external fields," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 20, No. 2, 288-296, 1978. doi:10.1109/TEMC.1978.303721
17. Leviatan, Y. and A. Adams, "The response of a two-wire transmission line to incident field and voltage excitation, including the effects of higher order modes," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 30, No. 5, 998-1003, Sep. 1982. doi:10.1109/TAP.1982.1142893
18. Paul, C. R., Analysis of Multiconductor Transmission Lines, 2nd Edition, John Wiley & Sons, 2008.
19. Tannouri, P., M. Peccianti, P. L. Lavertu, F. Vidal, and R. Morandotti, "Quasi-TEM mode propagation in twin-wire THz waveguides," Chin. Opt. Lett., Vol. 09, 110013, 2011. doi:10.3788/COL201109.110013
20. Das, B. N. and O. J. Vargheese, "Analysis of dominant and higher order modes for transmission lines using parallel cylinders," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 42, No. 4, 681-683, 1994. doi:10.1109/22.285078
21. Zhong, R., J. Zhou, W. Liu, and S. Liu, "Theoretical investigation of a THz transmission line in bipolar coordinate system," Sci. China Inf. Sci., Vol. 55, No. 1, 35-42, Jan. 2012. doi:10.1007/s11432-011-4488-0
22. Gholizadeh, M., M. Baharian, and F. H. Kashani, "A simple analysis for obtaining cutoff wavenumbers of an eccentric circular metallic waveguide in bipolar coordinate system," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 67, No. 3, 837-844, Mar. 2019. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2018.2890598
23. Zhou, J., M. Chen, R. Zhong, and S. Liu, "Analysis of TM and TE modes in eccentric coaxial lines based on bipolar coordinate system," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal, Vol. 30, No. 12, 2015.