This paper presents the simultaneous application of Minkowski fractal geometry and EBG structures for mutual coupling reduction in microstrip array antennas for the first time. In this approach, a modified version of Minkowski fractal geometry is applied on the patch elements, and at the same time 1D electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) structures, composed of 4 EBG elements, are placed between the array elements in a very close distance. Unlike many other coupling reduction methods, which have at least one of the issues of gain reduction or complex fabrication, the proposed method does need any via or double-sided etching and slightly increases the gain of the antenna, while an excellent reduction level of 23 dB has been achieved. To verify the concept, 2 array antennas with the spacing of λ0 and λ0/3 were fabricated and tested, showing very good agreement between predicted and measured results.
1. Ghosh, C. and S. K. Parui, "Reduction of mutual coupling between E-shaped microstrip antennas by using a simple microstrip I-section," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, No. 11, 2544-2549, 2013. doi:10.1002/mop.27928
2. Chaloun, T., Ch. Waldschmidt, and W. Menzel, "Wide angle scanning cavity antenna element for mobile satcom applications at Ka band," 10th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-5, April 2016.
3. Shen, J., Z. Xu, and T. Zheng, "Design and mutual coupling analysis on wideband wide-angle scan step constant tapered slot antenna array," IEEE International Conference on Ultra-Wideband, Vol. 2, 1-4, September 2010.
4. Bait-Suwailam, M. M., et al., "Mutual coupling reduction between microstrip patch antennas using slotted-complementary split-ring resonators," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 876-878, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2074175
5. Mohanna, Sh., A. Farahbakhsh, and S. Tavakoli, "Mutual coupling reduction in two-dimensional array of microstrip antennas using concave rectangular patches," Journal of Telecommunications, Vol. 2, No. 2, 64-69, 2010.
6. Cheng, W. G., G. M. Wang, J. G. Liang, X. J. Gao, and L. Zhu, "Novel ultra-compact twodimensional waveguide-based metasurface for electromagnetic coupling reduction of microstrip antenna array," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 25, 789-794, 2015.
7. Ahmed, M. I., A. Sebak, and E. A. Abdallah, "Mutual coupling reduction using defected ground structure (DGS) for array applications," 2012 15 International Symposium on Antenna Technology and Applied Electromagnetics, 1-5, Toulouse, 2012.
8. Afzal, M. U., A. Lalbakhsh, and K. P. Esselle, "Electromagnetic-wave beam-scanning antenna using near-field rotatable graded-dielectric plates," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 124, No. 23, 234901, 2018. doi:10.1063/1.5049204
9. Lalbakhsh, A., M. U. Afzal, and K. P. Esselle, "Multiobjective particle swarm optimization to design a time-delay equalizer metasurface for an electromagnetic band-gap resonator antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 912-915, 2016.
10. Pirhadi, A., M. H. Rahmani, and A. Mallahzadeh, "Shaped beam array synthesis using particle swarm optimisation method with mutual coupling compensation and wideband feeding network," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 8, No. 8, 549-550, February 14, 2014. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2013.0104
11. Jamshidi, M. B., et al., "A novel neural-based approach for design of microstrip filters," AEU — International Journal of Electronics and Communications, 152847, 2019. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2019.152847
12. Mohamadzade, B. and M. Afsahi, "Mutual coupling reduction and gain enhancement in patch array antenna using a planar compact electromagnetic band gap (EBG) structures," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 11, No. 12, 1719-1725, 2017. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2017.0080
13. Mohamadzade, B., R. M. Hashmi, R. B. V. B. Simorangkir, R. Gharaei, S. Ur Rehman, and Q. H. Abbasi, "Recent advances in fabrication methods for flexible antennas in wearable devices: State of the art," Sensors, Vol. 19, No. 10, 2312, 2019. doi:10.3390/s19102312
14. Simorangkir, R. B., Y. Yang, R. M. Hashmi, T. Bj¨orninen, K. P. Esselle, and L. Ukkonen, "Polydimethylsiloxane-embedded conductive fabric: Characterization and application for realization of robust passive and active flexible wearable antennas," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 48102-48112, 2018. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2867696
15. Olule, L., et al., "An aperture coupled metamaterial mushroom antenna for operation at WLAN frequency," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 11, 2692-2696, 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.30121
16. Farahani, H. S., M. Veysi, M. Kamyab, and A. Tadjalli, "Mutual coupling reduction in patch antenna arrays using a UC-EBG superstrate," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 57-59, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2042565
17. Mousavi Razi, Z., P. Rezaei, and A. Valizade, "A novel design of Fabry-Perot antenna using metamaterial superstrate for gain and bandwidth enhancement," AEU — International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 69, No. 10, 1525-1532, 2015. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2015.05.012
18. Naderi, M., F. B. Zarrabi, F. S. Jafari, and S. Ebrahimi, "Fractal EBG structure for shielding and reducing the mutual coupling in microstrip patch antenna array," AEU — International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 93, 261-267, 2018. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2018.06.028
19. Zheng, Q., Y. Fu, and N. Yuan, "A novel compact spiral electromagnetic band-gap structure," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 6, 1656-1660, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.923305
20. Lalbakhsh, A., A. A. L. Neyestanak, and M. Naser-Moghaddasi, "Microstrip hairpin bandpass filter using modified Minkowski fractal-shape for suppression of second harmonic," IEICE Transactions on Electronics, Vol. 95, No. 3, 378-381, 2012. doi:10.1587/transele.E95.C.378
21. Veeramani, A., et al., "Compact S-shaped EBG structures for reduction of mutual coupling," Fifth International Conference on Advanced Computing & Communication Technologies, Haryana, India, Febrarury 2015.
22. Abushamleh, S., et al., "Mutual coupling reduction between two patch antennas using a new miniaturized soft surface structure," IEEE AP-S Dig., Orlando, USA, July 2013.
23. Toolabi, M., R. Sadeghzadeh, and M. Moghadasi, "Compact meandered shape electromagnetic bandgap structure using in a microstrip array antenna application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 9, 2084-2088, 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.29982