We introduce a six-switch integrated ultra wideband (UWB) - frequency reconfigurable system for cognitive radio applications. With respect to the requirements of the cognitive radio, this proposed design incorporates a UWB section for sensing the frequency spectrum, and the same design is frequency reconfigured using switches to get narrow bands for communicating within the spectrum. The proposed design has a compact size of 40 mm x 40 mm x 1.6 mm and is printed on an FR4 substrate with relative permittivity 4.4. The first configuration of switches allows the antenna to have UWB characteristics from 3.10 to 12 GHz and beyond as per simulations and 3.13 to 12 GHz and beyond as per measurements. Configurations II to V cover the ultrawide band from 3.54 to 12 GHz through five narrow bands. Measured results match well with the simulated one. The comparative analysis of the antenna in terms of frequency reconfigurability is also included in this work which proves that the proposed design is an effective candidate for Cognitive Radio applications.
Ros Marie C. Cleetus,
Gnanadhas Josemin Bala,
"Wide-Narrow Switchable Bands Microstrip Antenna for Cognitive Radios," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 98, 225-238, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERC19102808
1. Liang, X. L., "Chapter 7: Ultra wideband current status and future trends," Ultra Wideband Antenna and Design, 127-152, 2012.
2. Fontana, R., "Recent system applications of short-pulse ultra-wideband (UWB) technology," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 52, No. 9, 2087-2104, 2004. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2004.834186
3. Li, T., H. Zhai, X. Wang, L. Li, and C. Liang, "Frequency-reconfigurable bow-tie antenna for Bluetooth, WiMAX, and WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 171-174, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2359199
4. Ibrahim, A. A., A. Batmanov, and E. P. Burte, "Design of reconfigurable antenna using RF MEMS switch for cognitive radio applications," 2017 Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium --- Spring (PIERS), 369-376, St Petersburg, Russia, May 22-25, 2017.
5. Abirami, M. and G. Rajasekar, "MEMS reconfigurable slotted microstrip patch antenna for cognitive radio application," 2016 Online International Conference on Green Engineering and Technologies (IC-GET), 2016.
6. George, R., C. R. Kumar, and S. Gangal, "Design of a frequency reconfigurable pixel patch antenna for cognitive radio applications," 2016 International Conference on Communication and Signal Processing (ICCSP), 1684-1688, 2016. doi:10.1109/ICCSP.2016.7754451
7. Wu, T., R. L. Li, S. Y. Eom, S. S. Myoung, K. Lim, J. Laskar, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Switchable quad-band antennas for cognitive radio base station applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 5, 1468-1476, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2044472
8. Hussain, R. and M. S. Sharawi, "Planar meandered-F-shaped 4-element reconfigurable multiple-input-multiple-output antenna system with isolation enhancement for cognitive radio platforms," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 1, 45-52, 2016. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2015.0139
9. Ge, L., M. Li, J. Wang, and H. Gu, "Unidirectional dual-band stacked patch antenna with independent frequency reconfiguration," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 113116, 2017.
10. Andy, A., P. Alizadeh, K. Z. Rajab, T. Kreouzis, and R. Donnan, "An optically-switched frequency reconfigurable antenna for cognitive radio applications," 2016 10th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 2016.
11. Tawk, Y., J. Costantine, S. Hemmady, G. Balakrishnan, K. Avery, and C. G. Christodoulou, "Demonstration of a cognitive radio front end using an optically pumped reconfigurable antenna system (OPRAS)," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 2, 1075-1083, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2173139
12. Tummas, P., P. Krachodnok, and R. Wongsan, "A frequency reconfigurable antenna design for UWB applications," 2014 11th International Conference on Electrical Engineering/Electronics, Computer, Telecommunications and Information Technolog, 2014.
13. Rodrigues, E. J., H. W. Lins, and A. G. D’Assuncao, "Reconfigurable circular ring patch antenna for UWB and cognitive radio applications," The 8th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP 2014), 2014.
14. Li, F. and T. Wang, "Design of reconfigurable UWB microstrip antenna with MEMS switches," 2016 IEEE International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT), 740-742, 2016.
15. Balanis, C. A., "Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design," John Wiley Sons, Hoboken, NJ, 2012.
16. Hussain, R., M. S. Sharawi, and A. Shamim, "An integrated four-element slot-based MIMO and a UWB sensing antenna system for CR platforms," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, No. 2, 978-983, 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2781220
17. Devi, G. A., J. Aarthi, P. Bhargav, R. Pandeeswari, M. A. Reddy, and R. S. Daniel, "UWB frequency reconfigurable patch antenna for cognitive radio applications," 2017 IEEE International Conference on Antenna Innovations Modern Technologies for Ground, Aircraft and Satellite Applications (iAIM), 2017.
18. Pahadsingh, S., S. Sahu, and S. Das, "Compact ultrawideband-reconfigurable antenna for cognitive radio platforms," 2017 International Conference on Wireless Communications, Signal Processing and Networking (WiSPNET), 2735-2738, 2017. doi:10.1109/WiSPNET.2017.8300260
19. Golliwar, A. V. and M. S. Narlawar, "Multiple controllable band notch butterfly shaped monopole UWB antenna for cognitive radio," 2016 World Conference on Futuristic Trends in Research and Innovation for Social Welfare (Startup Conclave), 2016.
20. Sahnoun, N., I. Messaoudene, T. A. Denidni, and A. Benghalia, "Integrated flexible UWB/Nb antenna conformed on a cylindrical surface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 55, 121-128, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERL15061809
21. Kumar, N. A. and A. S. Gandhi, "A compact novel three-port integrated wide and narrowband antennas system for cognitive radio applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 1-14, 2016. doi:10.1155/2016/2829357
22. Zheng, S., X. Liu, and M. M. Tentzeris, "A novel optically controlled reconfigurable antenna for cognitive radio systems," 2014 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 2014.
23. Erfani, E., J. Nourinia, C. Ghobadi, M. Niroo-Jazi, and T. A. Denidni, "Design and implementation of an integrated UWB/reconfigurable-slot antenna for cognitive radio applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 77-80, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2182631
24. Ebrahimi, E., J. R. Kelly, and P. S. Hall, "Integrated wide-narrowband antenna for multistandard radio," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 7, 2628-2635, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2152353
25. Tawk, Y. and C. Christodoulou, "A new reconfigurable antenna design for cognitive radio," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1378-1381, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2039461