A wideband high gain circularly polarized (CP) rectangular dielectric resonator antenna (RDRA) having a frequency range of 21 to 31 GHz is proposed. The RDRA consists of two layers with different dielectric permittivities and has been excited using a cross slot aperture. The proposed antenna offers wide impedance and CP bandwidths of ~36.5% and 13.75% respectively, in conjunction with a high gain of ~12.5 dBi. Close agreement has been achieved between simulated and measured results.
Abdulmajid A. Abdulmajid,
"Wide Bandwidth High Gain Circularly Polarized Millimetre-Wave Rectangular Dielectric Resonator Antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 89, 171-177, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERM19111903
1. Niu, Y., Y. Li, D. Jin, L. Su, and A. V. Vasilakos, "A survey of millimeter wave communications (mmWave) for 5G: Opportunities and challenges," Wireless Networks, Vol. 21, 2657-2676, 2015. doi:10.1007/s11276-015-0942-z
2. Wang, C.-X., et al., "Cellular architecture and key technologies for 5G wireless communication networks," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 52, 122-130, 2014. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2014.6736752
3. Pan, Y.-M., K. W. Leung, and K.-M. Luk, "Design of the millimeter-wave rectangular dielectric resonator antenna using a higher-order mode," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, 2780-2788, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2158962
4. Shahadan, N. H., et al., "Steerable higher order mode dielectric resonator antenna with parasitic elements for 5G applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 5, 22234-22243, 2017. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2017.2760924
5. Luk, K. M. and K. W. Leung, Dielectric Resonator Antennas, Research Studies Press Limited, Hertforodshire, England, UK, 2002.
6. Gangwar, R. K., S. Singh, and D. Kumar, "Comparative studies of rectangular dielectric resonator antenna with probe and microstrip line feeds," Archives of Applied Science Research, Vol. 2, 1-10, 2010.
7. Petosa, A. and S. Thirakoune, "Rectangular dielectric resonator antennas with enhanced gain," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, 1385-1389, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2109690
8. Oh, J., T. Baek, D. Shin, J. Rhee, and S. Nam, "60-GHz CPW-fed dielectric-resonator-above-patch (DRAP) antenna for broadbandWLAN applications using micromachining technology," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, 1859-1861, 2007. doi:10.1002/mop.22632
9. Elboushi, A., O. Haraz, A. Sebak, and T. Denidni, "A new circularly polarized high gain DRA millimeter-wave antenna," 2010 IEEE in Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1-4, 2010.
10. Perron, A., T. A. Denidni, and A. R. Sebak, "Circularly polarized microstrip/elliptical dielectric ring resonator antenna for millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 783-786, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2064750
11. Feng, L. Y. and K. W. Leung, "Millimeter-wave wideband dielectric resonator antenna," 2015 40th International Conference on Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz waves (IRMMW-THz), 1-2, 2015.
12. Laribi, M. and N. Hakem, "Hight-gain circular polarised hybrid DRA for millimeter-wave," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (APSURSI), 141-142, 2016. doi:10.1109/APS.2016.7695779
13. Nor, N. M., M. H. Jamaluddin, M. R. Kamarudin, and M. Khalily, "Rectangular dielectric resonator antenna array for 28 GHz applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 63, 53-61, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERC16022902
14. Kaouach, H., L. Dussopt, J. Lanteri, T. Koleck, and R. Sauleau, "Wideband low-loss linear and circular polarization transmit-arrays in V-band," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, 2513-2523, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2152331
15. Lin, J.-H., W.-H. Shen, Z.-D. Shi, and S.-S. Zhong, "Circularly polarized dielectric resonator antenna arrays with fractal cross-slot-coupled DRA elements," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2017, 2017.
16. Mazhar, W., D. Klymyshyn, G. Wells, A. Qureshi, M. Jacobs, and S. Achenbach, "Low profile artificial grid dielectric resonator antenna arrays for mm-wave applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, 4406-4417, 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2019.2907610
17. Abdulmajid, A. A., Y. Khalil, and S. Khamas, "Higher-order-mode circularly polarized twolayer rectangular dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, 1114-1117, 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2834981
18. Abdulmajid, A. A. and S. Khamas, "Higher order mode layered cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 90, 65-77, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERC18112808
19. Studio, M., "Computer simulation technology (CST),", Online: www.cst.com, 2015.
20. Maity, S. and B. Gupta, "Closed form expressions to find radiation patterns of rectangular dielectric resonator antennas for various modes," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, 6524-6527, 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2361146
21. Almpanis, G., C. Fumeaux, and R. Vahldieck, "Offset cross-slot-coupled dielectric resonator antenna for circular polarization," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, 461-463, 2006. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2006.879484
22. Maknikar, R. D. and V. G. Kasabegoudar, "Circularly polarized cross-slot-coupled stacked dielectric resonator antenna for wireless applications," International Journal of Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing, Vol. 1, 68-73, 2013. doi:10.11648/j.wcmc.20130102.12