This paper specifies optimization of a low active reflection coefficient (ARC) array element with a cavity-backed microstrip patch (CBMP) using a genetic algorithm (GA) at wide-band and 2-dimensional (2D) wide angle. Both the GA implemented with a user-defined MATLAB code and a 3-dimensional (3D) full-wave electromagnetic simulator CST MWS are simulated with a real-time direct link. An optimization method using not a traditional unit cell ora small array but a 15 × 15 finite array structure is proposed to apply to a large-scale array antenna. The CBMP array antenna to meet a design goal of a max ARC is optimally designed at equally divided 9 frequencies and 11374 beam angles for S-band 400 MHz operating frequency bandwidth and beam scan coverage (Az = -60° ~ +60°, El = -3° ~ +90°). Measurement results show that a prototype and a full-scale array antenna have low ARC below -8.1 dB and -6.9 dB respectively for required wide frequency bandwidth and beam scan coverage. It is confirmed that the proposed method is a good solution for optimizing a large-scale array antenna.
"Optimization of Wide-Band and Wide Angle Cavity-Backed Microstrip Patch Array Using Genetic Algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 90, 59-67, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERM19122804
1. Waterhouse, R. B., "Design and scan performance of large, probe-fed stacked microstrip patch arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, 893-895, 2002. doi:10.1109/TAP.2002.1017675
2. Aza, G. and M. A. Zapata, "Broad-band cavity-backed and capacitively probe-fed microstrip patch arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 48, 784-789, 2000. doi:10.1109/8.855498
3. Biswal, S. P. and S. Das, "Mutual coupling reduction of a printed dual element antenna system using a parasitic scatter," 2018 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 1375-1376, 2018. doi:10.1109/APUSNCURSINRSM.2018.8608882
4. Dominguez, G. E., J. F. Gonzalez, P. Padilla, and M. S. Castaner, "Mutual coupling reduction using EBG in steering antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 1265-1268, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2226013
5. Lee, J. Y., S. H. Kim, and J. H. Jang, "Reduction of mutual coupling in planar multiple antenna by using 1-D EBG and SRR structures," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, 4194-4198, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2447052
6. Caorsi, S., M. Donelli, A. Lommi, and A. Massa, "Location and imaging of two-dimensional scatterers by using a particle swarm algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, No. 4, 481-494, 2004. doi:10.1163/156939304774113089
7. Donelli, M., "Design of broadband metal nanosphere antenna arrays with a hybrid evolutionary algorithm," Optics Letters, Vol. 38, No. 4, 401-403, 2013. doi:10.1364/OL.38.000401
8. Donelli, M. and P. Febvre, "An inexpensive reconfigurable planar array for Wi-Fi applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 28, 71-81, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC12012304
9. Moriyama, T., M. Manekiya, and M. Donelli, "A compact switched-beam planar antenna array for wireless sensors operating at Wi-Fi band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 83, 137-145, 2018.
10. Lalbakhsh, A., M. U. Afzal, K. Esselle, and S. L. Smith, "Wideband near-field correction of a Fabry-Perot resonator antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 3, 1975-1980, 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2019.2891230
11. Lalbakhsh, A., M. U. Afzal, and K. Esselle, "Simulation-driven particle swarm optimization of spatial phase shifters," 2016 International Conference on Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications, 428-430, 2016.
12. Jamshidi, M., A. Lalbakhsh, S. Lotfi, H. Siahkamari, B. Mohamadzade, and J. Jalilian, "A neuro-based approach to designing a Wilkinson power divider," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, e22091, 2019.
13. Lalbakhsh, A., M. U. Afzal, K. Esselle, and B. Zeb, "Multi-objective particle swarm optimization for the realization of a low profile bandpass frequency selective surface," ISAP, 1-4, 2015.
14. Li, L., J. Wang, H. Ma, M. Feng, M. Yan, J. Zhang, and S. Qu, "All-dielectric metamaterial band stop frequency selective surface via high-permittivity ceramics," 2016 Progress In Electromagnetic Research Symposium (PIERS), 3324-3326, Shanghai, China, Aug. 8-11, 2016.
15. Lalbakhsh, A., M. U. Afzal, K. Esselle, and S. Smith, "Design of an artificial magnetic conductor surface using an evolutionary algorithm," ICEAA, 885-887, 2017.
16. Densmore, A. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Three-parameter elliptical aperture distributions for sum and difference antenna patterns using particle swarm optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 143, 709-743, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13103105
17. Jamshidi, M., A. Lalbakhsh, B. Mohamadzade, H. Siahkamari, and S. M. Mousavi, "A novel neural-based approach for design of microstrip filters," AEU - International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 110, 152847, 2019. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2019.152847
18. Haupt, R. L. and D. H. Werner, Genetic Algorithms in Electromagnetics, Wiley Inter-Science, 2007. doi:10.1002/047010628X
19. Khalid, A., S. A. Sheikh, I. H. Shah, and Q. U. Khan, "Synthesis of linear antenna array using genetic algorithm to reduce peak sidelobe level," 2015 9th International Conference on Electrical and Electronics Engineering (ELECO), 346-350, 2015. doi:10.1109/ELECO.2015.7394496
20. Song, J., H. Zheng, and L. Zhang, "Application of particle swarm optimization algorithm and genetic algorithms in beam broadening of phased array antenna," 2010 International Symposium on Signals, Systems and Electronics, Vol. 1, 1-4, 2010.
21. Le, Q. T., N. D. Nguyen, and T. T. Dam, "Amplitude and phase adaptive nulling with a genetic algorithm for array antennas," 2011 2nd International Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Management Science and Electronic Commerce, 1887-1890, 2011.
22. Zhu, X., Q. Yang, M. Li, B. Liu, X. Yang, P. Chen, and B. Yang, "A circularly polarized waveguide slot array antenna based on genetic algorithm," Proceedings of 2012 5th Global Symposium on Millimeter-Waves, 155-158, 2012. doi:10.1109/GSMM.2012.6314024
23. Yang, J. and P. S. Kildal, "Optimization of large log-periodic dual-dipole antenna by using Genetic Algorithm on embedded element in small log-periodic array," 2009 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1308-1311, 2009.
24. Zeghdoud, A., M. C. Derbal, and M. Nedil, "Optimization of a dual-band microstrip antenna array using genetic algorithms," 2018 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 1005-1006, 2018. doi:10.1109/APUSNCURSINRSM.2018.8609058