This paper presents a miniaturized frequency selective rasorber (FSR) with both wide absorption and transmission bands. The proposed FSR consists of a resistive sheet and a band-pass frequency-selective surface (FSS) with non-resonant constituting elements. The unit cell structure of the resistive sheet is a meander line loaded with four lumped resistors, which generate a wide absorption band from 2.4 to 6.2 GHz, while the layer of FSS is coupled resonator spatial filter (CRSF) which generates a wide transmission band from 7.5 to 10.2 GHz. Furthermore, there is a 10.5 mm air spacer between the resistive and FSS layers. The period of the FSR structure, which maintains its passband and absorption band performance, is only 10 mm (0.08λL). Simulated and measured results are compared and found to show good agreement.
1. Munk, B. A., Frequency Selective Surfaces: Theory and Design, Wiley, New York, 2000. doi:10.1002/0471723770
2. Narayan, S. and R. M. Jha, "Electromagnetic techniques and design strategies for FSS structure applications [antenna applications corner]," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 57, No. 5, 135-158, Oct. 2015. doi:10.1109/MAP.2015.2474867
3. Pelton, E. L. and B. A. Munk, "A streamlined metallic radome," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 22, No. 6, 799-803, 1974. doi:10.1109/TAP.1974.1140896
4. Gerini, G. and L. Zappelli, "Multilayer array antennas with integrated frequency selective surfaces conformal to a circular cylindrical surface," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 6, 2020-2030, Jun. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.848459
5. Xue, J., W. Jiang, and S. Gong, "Wideband RCS reduction of microstrip antenna based on 2.5-dimension miniaturized frequency selective surface," 2016 IEEE 5th Asia-Pacific Conference on Antennas and Propagation (APCAP), 209-210, Kaohsiung, 2016.
6. Leingthone, M. M. and N. Hakem, "A reconfigurable beam swhitching antenna using active cylindrical fss structure," 2017 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 2339-2340, San Diego, CA, 2017.
7. Sangeetha, B., G. Gulati, R. U. Nair, and S. Narayan, "Design of airborne radome using Swastika-shaped metamaterial-element based FSS," 2016 IEEE Annual India Conference (INDICON), 1-5, Bangalore, 2016.
8. Munk, B. A., Metamaterials: Critique and Alternatives, Wiley, New York, 2009.
9. Mantash, M., M. B. Kakhki, and T. A. Denidni, "Millimeter-wave circularly polarized vivaldi antenna using simple single layer 2D FSS polarizer," 2018 18th International Symposium on Antenna Technology and Applied Electromagnetics (ANTEM), 1-2, Waterloo, ON, 2018.
10. Mirza, H., et al., "Circuit model for a textile linear-to-circular polarizer using swastika-shaped FSS," 2019 URSI Asia-Pacific Radio Science Conference (AP-RASC), 1-4, New Delhi, India, 2019.
11. Chen, Q., D. Sang, M. Guo, and Y. Fu, "Frequency-selective rasorber with inter-absorption band transparent window and interdigital resonator," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, 4105-4114, 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2835671
12. Chen, Q., D. Sang, M. Guo, and Y. Fu, "Miniaturized frequency-selective rasorber with a wide transmission band using circular spiral resonator," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 67, No. 2, 1045-1052, Feb. 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2880043
13. Wang, Y., S. Qi, W. Wu, and Z. Shen, "An ultra-thin wideband 3-D frequency selective rasorber based on ferrite absorber and slow wave structure," 2019 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and USNC-URSI Radio Science Meeting, 957-958, Atlanta, GA, USA, 2019.
14. Al-Joumayly, M. A. and N. Behdad, "A generalized method for synthesizing miniaturized element band-pass frequency selective surfaces," 2010 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, Toronto, ON, 2010.
15. Han, M., M. He, H. J. Sun, K. Zhang, and G. Q. Zhao, "A frequency selective surface radome using a coupled resonator filter," 2013 IEEE International Conference on Microwave Technology & Computational Electromagnetics, 52-54, Qingdao, 2013.
16. Luo, G. Q., W. L. Yu, and Y. F. Yu, "3D frequency selective rasorber with wide lower absorption band (invited)," 2017 Sixth Asia-Pacific Conference on Antennas and Propagation (APCAP), 1-3, Xi'an, 2017.
17. Xiu, X., W. Che, Y. Han, and W. Yang, "Low-profile dual-polarization frequency-selective rasorbers based on simple-structure lossy cross-frame elements," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 6, 1002-1005, Jun. 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2829022
18. Tuan, S., H. Chou, Y. Chang, H. Kun, P. Wang, and J. Zhang, "A practical microwave absorber design based on salisbury screens," 2016 International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (ISAP), 944-945, Okinawa, 2016.
19. Qu, M., S. Sun, L. Deng, and S. Li, "Design of a frequency-selective rasorber based on notch structure," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 3704-3711, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2886421
20. Xiu, X., Y. Han, W. Che, and W. Yang, "Double-polarization frequency selective rasorber based on cross-frame and circle ring slot arrays," 2017 10th Global Symposium on Millimeter-Waves, 109-111, Hong Kong, 2017.
21. Wei, J., et al., "A wideband transmission frequency selective surface rasorber with low insertion loss," 2019 Thirteenth International Congress on Artificial Materials for Novel Wave Phenomena (Metamaterials), X-468-X-470, Rome, Italy, 2019.
22. Sun, Y., S. Xiao, Z. Yao, and Q. Shi, "A wideband frequency-selective rasorber based on interdigital resonator and fractal shaped slot," 2019 IEEE MTT-S International Wireless Symposium (IWS), 1-3, Guangzhou, China, 2019.
23. Kumar, A., D. K. Choudhary, and R. K. Chaudhary, "Metamaterial tri-band bandpass filter using meander-line with rectangular-stub," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 66, 121-126, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERL16123103
24. Choudhary, D. K. and R. K. Chaudhary, "Via-less wideband bandpass filter using CRLH transmission line with semi-circular stub," 2nd International Conference on Microwave and Photonics (ICMAP), Dec. 11–13, 2015.