This article presents a compact size and high isolation 2×2, Multi-Input Multi-Output (MIMO) antenna for Industrial Scientific and Medical (ISM) band and 5G lower frequency band of 5G applications. Mutual coupling has been a great challenge in these applications. To improve isolation between elements of 1×2 MIMO antennas, a mushroom-shaped electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) and a fractal shaped EBG have been investigated. The overall size of the proposed antenna is 38.2×95.94×1.6 mm3 with inter-element spacing (edge to edge) of 0.140λ. The proposed antenna has been designed, simulated, fabricated, and tested. The resulting outcome shows that the antenna operates in the band of 2.43-2.50 GHz and radiates in TM10 mode. By using fractal shaped EBG, isolation of -24.67 dB is achieved. Apart from isolation, other performance parameters of the MIMO antenna are verified. The proposed antenna is suitable for weather radar, surface ship radar, satellite communication, and wireless local area network (WLAN) applications.
Ganga Prasad Pandey,
"Two Port Compact MIMO Antenna for ISM Band Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 100, 173-185, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERC20011504
2. Malathi, A. C. J. and D. Thiripurasundari, "Review on isolation techniques in MIMO antenna systems," Indian Journal of Science and Technology, Vol. 9, No. 35, 2016, [Online]. Available: http://www.indjst.org/index.php/indjst/article/view/96704.
3. Chouhan, S., D. K. Panda, M. Gupta, and S. Singhal, "Multiport MIMO antennas with mutual coupling reduction techniques for modern wireless transreceive operations: A review," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 28, No. 2, e21189, 2018, [Online]. Available: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/mmce.21189. doi:10.1002/mmce.21189
4. Shoaib, N., S. Shoaib, R. Y. Khattak, I. Shoaib, X. Chen, and A. Perwaiz, "MIMO antennas for smart 5g devices," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 77014-77021, 2018. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2876763
5. Wei, K., J. Li, L. Wang, Z. Xing, and R. Xu, "S-shaped periodic defected ground structures to reduce microstrip antenna array mutual coupling," Electronics Letters, Vol. 52, No. 15, 1288-1290, 2016. doi:10.1049/el.2016.0667
6. Das, G., A. Sharma, and R. K. Gangwar, "Dielectric resonator-based two-element MIMO antenna system with dual band characteristics," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propagation, Vol. 12, No. 5, 734-741, 2018. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2017.0744
7. Ramachandran, A., S. Valiyaveettil Pushpakaran, M. Pezholil, and V. Kesavath, "A four-port MIMO antenna using concentric square-ring patches loaded with CSRR for high isolation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1196-1199, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2499322
8. Wang, S. and Z. Du, "Decoupled dual-antenna system using crossed neutralization lines for LTE/WWAN smartphone applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 523-526, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2371020
9. Tiwari, R. N., P. Singh, B. K. Kanaujia, and K. Srivastava, "Neutralization technique based two and four port high isolation MIMO antennas for UWB communication," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 110, 152828, 2019, [Online]. Available: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1434841119311227. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2019.152828
10. Srivastava, G. and A. Mohan, "Compact MIMO slot antenna for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1057-1060, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2491968
11. Lim, J., Z. Jin, C. Song, and T. Yun, "Simultaneous frequency and isolation reconfigurable MIMO PIFA using pin diodes," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 12, 5939-5946, Dec. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2211552
12. Lee, J., S. Kim, and J. Jang, "Reduction of mutual coupling in planar multiple antenna by using 1-D EBG and SRR structures," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 9, 4194-4198, Sep. 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2447052
13. Zhai, G., Z. N. Chen, and X. Qing, "Enhanced isolation of a closely spaced four-element MIMO antenna system using metamaterial mushroom," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 8, 3362-3370, Aug. 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2434403
14. Zhao, L. and K. Wu, "A dual-band coupled resonator decoupling network for two coupled antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 7, 2843-2850, Jul. 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2421973
15. Yuan, Y., K. Zhang, X. Ding, B. Ratni, S. N. Burokur, and Q. Wu, "Complementary transmissive ultra-thin meta-deflectors for broadband polarization-independent refractions in the microwave region," Photon. Res., Vol. 7, No. 1, 80-88, Jan. 2019. doi:10.1364/PRJ.7.000080
16. Zhang, K., Y. Yuan, X. Ding, B. Ratni, S. N. Burokur, and Q. Wu, "High efficiency metalenses with switchable functionalities in microwave region," ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, Vol. 11, No. 31, 28423-28430, 2019. doi:10.1021/acsami.9b07102
17. Kim, K. H. and J. E. Schutt-Aine, "Analysis and modeling of hybrid planar-type electromagnetic-bandgap structures and feasibility study on power distribution network application," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, No. 1, 178-186, Jan. 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.912199
18. Ryu, J. and H. Kim, "Compact MIMO antenna for application to smart glasses using T-shaped ground plane," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, No. 8, 2010-2013, 2018. doi:10.1002/mop.31288
19. Lin, K., C. Wu, C. Lai, and T. Ma, "Novel dual-band decoupling network for two-element closely spaced array using synthesized microstrip lines," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 11, 5118-5128, Nov. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2207687
20. Su, S., C. Lee, and F. Chang, "Printed MIMO-antenna system using neutralization-line technique for wireless USB-dongle applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 456-463, Feb. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2173450
21. Zhang, S. and G. F. Pedersen, "Mutual coupling reduction for UWB MIMO antennas with a wideband neutralization line," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 166-169, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2435992
22. Li, Y., W. X. Li, C. Liu, and T. Jiang, "Two UWB-MIMO antennas with high isolation using sleeve coupled stepped impedance resonators," 2012 IEEE Asia-Pacific Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 21-22, Aug. 2012. doi:10.1109/APCAP.2012.6333128
23. Wu, Y. and Q. Chu, "Dual-band multiple input multiple output antenna with slitted ground," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propagation, Vol. 8, No. 13, 1007-1013, Oct. 2014. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2013.0340
24. Amin, F., R. Saleem, T. Shabbir, S. U. Rehman, M. Bilal, and M. F. Shafique, "A compact quad-element UWB-MIMO antenna system with parasitic decoupling mechanism," Applied Sciences, Vol. 9, No. 11, 2019, [Online]. Available: https://www.mdpi.com/2076-3417/9/11/2371. doi:10.3390/app9112371
25. Kumar, S., R. Kumar, R. K. Vishwakarma, and K. Srivastava, "An improved compact MIMO antenna for wireless applications with bandnotched characteristics," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 90, 20-29, 2018, [Online]. Available: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1434841118305168. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2018.04.008
26. Yang, Z. and H. Cui, "A compact MIMO antenna with inverted C-shaped ground branches for mobile terminals," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2016, 1-6, 2016.
27. Dkiouak, A., A. Zakriti, M. El Quahabi, A. Zugari, and M. Khalladi, "Design of a compact MIMO antenna for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 72, 115-124, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18030103
28. Anuvind, R., S. D. Joseph, and d A. Kothari, "2 × 2 MIMO antenna at 2.4GHz for WLAN applications," 2015 International Conference on Microwave, Optical and Communication Engineering (ICMOCE), 80-83, Dec. 2015. doi:10.1109/ICMOCE.2015.7489695
29. Malviya, L., R. K. Panigrahi, and M. V. Kartikeyan, "2 × 2 MIMO antenna for ISM band application," 2016 11th International Conference on Industrial and Information System(ICIIS), 794-797, 2016.
30. Payandehjoo, K. and R. Abhari, "Isolation enhancement between tightly spaced compact unidirectional patch-antennas on multilayer EBG surfaces," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 25, No. 1, 30-38, 2015. doi:10.1002/mmce.20820
31. Li, Z., Z. Du, M. Takahashi, K. Saito, and K. Ito, "Reducing mutual coupling of MIMO antennas with parasitic elements for mobile terminals," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 473-481, Feb. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2173432
32. Payandehjoo, K. and R. Abhari, "Investigation of parasitic elements for coupling reduction in multiantenna hand-set devices," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 24, No. 1, 1-10, 2014. doi:10.1002/mmce.20706
33. Ayatollahi, M., Q. Rao, and D. Wang, "A compact, high isolation and wide bandwidth antenna array for long term evolution wireless devices," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 10, 4960-4963, Oct. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2207312
34. Jeong, G.-T., S. Choi, K. Hak, and W. S. Kim, "Low-profile dual wideband MIMO antenna with low ECC for LTE and Wi-Fi applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2014, 6 pages, May 2014.
35. Vaughan, R. G. and J. B. Andersen, "Antenna diversity in mobile communications," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 36, No. 4, 149-172, Nov. 1987. doi:10.1109/T-VT.1987.24115
36. Taga, T., "Analysis for mean effective gain of mobile antennas in land mobile radio environments," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 39, No. 2, 117-131, May 1990. doi:10.1109/25.54228