A tri-band Cylindrical Dielectric Resonator Antenna (CDRA) array is proposed for WiFi, wireless LAN, and satellite applications in this paper. CDRA is massively demanded by various smart wireless devices. The claimed antenna array structure is developed and fabricated using an FR4 substrate having relative permittivity (εr) of 4.4. Microstrip power divider line is utilised for array excitation. The variation in return loss due to effect of varying micro strip line length, dielectric resonator height and ground plane height has been carefully recorded and presented using parametric study. The array structure is engineered for triple band operations working at 2.4 GHz, 4.1 GHz, and 5.4 GHz frequencies. To achieve adequate bandwidth accompanied by acceptable gain is a very inspiring task. The proposed structure shows a promising maximum impedance bandwidth of 1.14 GHz (40%) and a maximum gain of 9 dBi. The return loss and radiation pattern computed through CST software are verified by practical measurements using VNA device and anechoic chamber atmosphere.
1. Richtmyer, R. D., "Dielectric resonator," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 10, 391-398, Jun. 1939. doi:10.1063/1.1707320
2. Long, S. A., M. W. McAllister, and L. C. Shen, "The resonant dielectric cavity antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 31, No. 3, 406-412, Mar. 1983. doi:10.1109/TAP.1983.1143080
3. Petosa, A. Ittipiboon, Y. M. M. Antar, and D. Roscoe, "Recent advances in dielectric resonator antenna technology," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 40, No. 3, 35-48, Jun. 1998. doi:10.1109/74.706069
4. Luk, K. M. and K. W. Leung, "Dielectric resonator antennas," Electronic & Electrical Engineering Research Studies, 2005.
5. Mongia, R. K. and A. Ittipiboon, "Theoretical and experimental investigations on rectangular dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 9, 1348-1356, Sep. 1997. doi:10.1109/8.623123
6. Mongia, R. K. and P. Bhartia, "Dielectric resonator antennas — A review and general design relations for resonant frequency and bandwidth," International Journal of Microwave and Millimeter-wave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 4, No. 3, 230-247, Mar. 1994. doi:10.1002/mmce.4570040304
7. Kishk, A. A., B. Ahn, and D. Kajfez, "Broadband stacked dielectric resonator antennas," IEE Electronics Letters, Vol. 25, No. 18, 1232-1233, Aug. 1989. doi:10.1049/el:19890826
9. Ain, M. F., U. Ullah, and Z. A. Ahmad, "On design and analysis of broadband 2-segment dielectric resonator array antenna for 5–6 GHz applications," Turk J. Elec. Eng. & Comp. Sci., Vol. 1, No. 10.
10. Das, G., A. Sharma, and R. K. Gangwar, "Four element cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna array with annular shaped microstrip feed," Antenna Test and Measurement Society (ATMS India-16), 2016.
11. Mishra, N. K., S. Das, and D. K. Vishwakarma, "Beam steered linear array of cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 98, 106-113, 2019. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2018.11.011
13. Abushakra, F. Z., A. S. Al-Zoubi, and D. F. Hawatmeh, "Design and measurements of rectangular dielectric resonator antenna linear arrays," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal, Vol. 33, No. 4, 2018.
14. Xie, R. S., et al., "A study of dielectric resonator antenna array applied to 5G communication system," 2016 Progress In Electromagnetic Research Symposium (PIERS), Shanghai, China, Aug. 8–11, 2016.
15. Khalily, M., "Rectangular dielectric resonator antenna array for 28 GHz applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 63, 53-61, 2016.
16. Sarkar, G. A., B. Rana, and S. K. Parui, "A direct microstrip line feed hemispherical dielectric resonator antenna array," 2017 1st International Conference on Electronics, Materials Engineering and Nano-Technology (IEMENTech), IEEE, 2017.
17. Rana, B. and S. K. Parui, "Direct microstrip line-fed dielectric resonator antenna array," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 30, No. 12, 1521-1531, 2016. doi:10.1080/09205071.2016.1202148