Using the moment method, we analyze a loop antenna with a perturbation segment in the presence of a ground plane. First, the radiation characteristics versus loop height above the ground plane are investigated. It is found that as the loop height increases to more than 0.2 wavelengths a novel antenna other than a conventional one can exist, showing an enlarged bandwidth of 9% for a 3 dB axial-ratio criterion. Next, the radiation mechanism of the novel antenna is compared with that of the conventional one. Last, the novel loop is used in a comb-line antenna as a radiation element. It is found that the CP wave bandwidth is five times as wide as that of a conventional comb-line antenna. The analysis results are verified by experimental work.
"A Loop Antenna with Enlarged Bandwidth of Circular Polarization --- Its Application in a Comb-Line Antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 105, 175-184, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERC20071902
1. Li, R., N. A. Bushyager, J. Laskar, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Determination of reactance loading for circularly polarized circular loop antennas with a uniform traveling-wave current distribution," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 12, 3920-3929, Dec. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.859767
2. Sumi, M., K. Hirasawa, and S. Shi, "Two rectangular loops fed in series for broadband circular polarization and impedance matching," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 2, 551-554, Feb. 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.823876
3. Hirose, K., T. Shibasaki, Y. Yoshida, and H. Nakano, "Ladder antennas for dual circular polarization," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 1174-1177, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2220751
4. Hirose, K., K. Okiyama, and H. Nakano, "A loop antennas with wideband circular polarization," Proc. IEEE Antennas Propag. Society Int. Symp., 503-504, 2017.
5. Harrington, R. F., Field Computation by Moment Methods, Macmillan, New York, NY, USA, 1968.
6. Zhang, L., W. Zhang, and Y. P. Zhang, "Microstrip grid and comb array antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 11, 4077-4084, Nov. 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2164216
7. Cameron, T. R., A. T. Sutinjo, and M. Okoniewski, "A circularly polarized broadside radiating `herringbone’ array design with the leaky-wave approach," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 826-829, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2066950
8. Hirose, K., D. Yamada, and H. Nakano, "A modified comb-line antenna radiating a circularly polarized wave," Trans. IEICE, Vol. J86-B, No. 10, 2174-2181, Oct. 2003.