This paper proposes an efficient and accurate scattered field prediction method based on Kirchhoff Approximation called `Mirror Kirchhoff Approximation' (MKA) which is suitable for evaluating the shadowing effect by a metal cuboid. The disadvantages of conventional methods, such as low accuracy of Kirchhoff Approximation (KA) for metal cuboid and high computational complexity of Method of Moment (MoM) for a shadowing object at millimeter wave (mmWave), have motivated the establishment of an efficient and accurate prediction method for a metal cuboid at mmWave. The proposed method solves the previous issues by introducing the ray-based reflection into conventional KA. The idea and detail formulations of the proposed method are presented. The proposed method is validated by comparing with MoM and KA in terms of complexity and accuracy. The results imply that the proposed method presents good accuracy with low calculation time. The MKA has a maximum 8.3 dB improvement compared with conventional KA. Calculating time is improved by 392-915 times compared with MoM.
1. ITU-R, Use of the Frequency Band 66-71 GHz for International Mobile Telecommunications and Coexistence with Other Applications of the Mobile Service, WRC-19, Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt, 2019.
2. Andrews, J. G., S. Buzzi, W. Choi, S. V. Hanly, A. Lozano, A. C. K. Soong, and J. C. Zhang, "What will 5G be?," IEEE J-SAC, Vol. 32, No. 6, 1065-1082, June 2014.
3. Rangan, S., T. S. Rappaport, and E. Erkip, "Millimeter-wave cellular wireless networks: Potentials and challenges," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 102, No. 3, 366-385, Mar. 2014. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2014.2299397
4. MacCartney, G. R., S. Deng, S. Sun, and T. S. Rappaport, "Millimeter-wave human blockage at 73 GHz with a simple double knife-edge diffraction model and extension for directional antennas," Proc. IEEE VTC, 1-6, Montreal, QC, Sept. 2016.
5. Csendes, Z. J. and P. Silvester, "Numerical solution of dielectric loaded waveguides: I-finite-element analysis," IEEE Trans. MTT, Vol. 18, No. 12, 1124-1131, Dec. 1970. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1970.1127422
6. Harrington, R. F., Field Computation by Moment Method, Macmillan, New York, 1968.
7. Chew, W. C., J. M. Jin, E. Michielssen, and J. Song, Fast and Efficient Algorithms in Computational Electromagnetic, Artech House, Boston London, 2001.
8. Yee, K. S., "Numerical solution of initial boundary value problems involving Maxwell's equation in isotropic media," IEEE Trans. AP, Vol. 14, No. 3, 302-307, Apr. 1966.
9. Schuster, A., "An introduction to the theory of optics," Nature, Vol. 114, No. 2854, 48, 1924.
11. Kouyoumjian, R. G. and P. H. Pathak, "A uniform geometrical theory of diffraction for an edge in a perfectly conducting surface," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 62, No. 11, 1448-1461, Nov. 1974. doi:10.1109/PROC.1974.9651
12. UFimtsev, P. Y., Fundamentals of the Physical Theory of Diffraction, 1-48, WILEY, Hoboken, New Jersey, 2013.
13. Kirchhoff, G., Zur Theorie der Lichtstrahlen, Vol. 254, No. 4, 663-695, Wiley, 1883.
14. UFimtsev, P. Y., "New insight into the classical macdonald physical optics approximation," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 50, No. 3, 11-20, Jun. 2008. doi:10.1109/MAP.2008.4563560
15. Lam, P. T. C., S. W. Lee, and R. Acosta, "Secondary pattern computation of an arbitrarily shaped main reflector,", Lewis Research Center, Cleveland, Ohio, Nov. 1984.
16. Osterman, A. and P. Ritosa, "Radio propagation calculation: A technique using 3D fresnel zones for decimeter radio waves on lidar data," IEEE TAP, Vol. 61, No. 6, 31-43, Dec. 2019.
17. Queiroz, A. D. C. and L. C. Trintinalia, "An analysis of human body shadowing models for ray-tracing radio channel characterization," SBMO/IEEE MTT-S IMOC, Porto de Galinhas, 2015.
18. Balanis, C. A., Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics, Chapter 6 and 7, Wiley, Hoboken, New Jersey, 2012.
19. Ludwig, A., "Computation of radiation patterns involving numerical double integration," IEEE TAP, Vol. 16, No. 6, 767-769, 1968.
20. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory, 620-637, WILEY, Hoboken, New Jersey, 1997.
21. Kohama, T. and M. Ando, "Localization of radiation integrals using the fresnel zone numbers," IEICE TEE, Vol. 95, No. 5, 928-935, 2012.
22. Yaghjian, A., "An overview of near-field antenna measurements," IEEE TAP, Vol. 34, No. 1, 30-45, Jan. 1986.
23. Morita, N., N. Kumagai, and J. R. Mautz, Integral Equation Methods for Electromagnetics, Chapter 4, Artech House, Boston, 1990.