A novel and compact triple-band two-element Multiple Input Multiple Output (MIMO) antenna array is designed to provide simultaneous communications for uplink and downlink which covers GSM, LTE, and sub-6 base station applications. The proposed MIMO system is a configuration of four triple-band two-element arrays in which two are used for uplink and the other two for downlink. This compact structure with separate antennas for uplink and downlink provides simultaneous communication. For this proposed structure, the parameters like impedance bandwidth, efficiency, gain and cross polarization aspects are presented for all the three specified bands. To achieve good isolation uplink and downlink arrays are placed orthogonal to each other. Further, to enhance the isolation a defected ground is incorporated for the antenna array structure, and isolation strips are provided between uplink and downlink arrays. In addition, for the proposed structure diversity performance with Envelope Correlation Coefficient (ECC) and diversity gains are also calculated. The simulated and measured results are in acceptable correlation.
1. Andrews, J. G., et al., "What will 5G be?," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 3, No. 6, 1065-1082, Jun. 2014. doi:10.1109/JSAC.2014.2328098
2. Cui, Y., R. Li, and P. Wan, "A novel broadband planar antenna for 2G/3G/LTE base stations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 6, No. 5, 2767-2774, May 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2244837
3. Cui, Y., R. Li, and P. Wan, "Novel dual-broadband planar antenna and its array for 2G/3G/LTE base station," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 6, No. 3, 1132-1139, Mar. 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2229377
4. Huang, H., Y. Liu, and S. Gong, "A novel dual-broadband and dual-polarized antenna for 2G/3G/LTE base stations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 9, 4113-4118, Sept. 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2589966
5. An, W. X., H. Won, K. L. Lau, S. F. Li, and Q. Xue, "Design of broadband dual-band dipole for base station antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 3, 1592-1595, Mar. 201. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2180336
6. Li, Y., C. Sim, Y. Luo, and G. Yang, "12-port 5G massive MIMO antenna array in sub-6 GHz mobile handset for LTE bands 42/43/46 applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 344-354, 2018. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2017.2763161
7. Zhai, H., J. Zhang, Y. Zan, Q. Gao, and C. Liang, "An LTE base-station magnetoelectric dipole antenna with anti-interference characteristics and its MIMO system application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 906-909, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2384519
8. Pan, Y., Y. Cui, and R. Li, "Investigation of a triple-band multibeam MIMO antenna for wireless access points," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 4, 1234-1241, Apr. 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2526082
9. Wang, H., R. Zhang, Y. Luo, and G. Yang, "Compact eight-element antenna array for triple-band MIMO operation in 5G mobile terminals," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 19433-19449, 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.2967651
10. Sun, J., H. Fan, P. Lin, and C. Chuan, "Triple-band MIMO antenna for mobile wireless application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 500-503, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2454536
11. Sun, X.-B., "Design of a triple-band antenna based on its current distribution," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 90, 113-119, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERL19122502
12. Holma, H. and A. Toskala, LTE for UMTS: OFDMA and SC-FDMA Based Radio Access, 267, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., United Kingdon, 2009.
13. Goud, J. R., N. V. Koteswara Rao, and A. M. Prasad, "Design of triple band U-slot MIMO antenna for simultaneous uplink and downlink communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 106, 271-283, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERC20082403
14. Park, J., M. Rahman, and H. N. Chen, "Isolation enhancement of wide-band MIMO array antennas utilizing resistive loading," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 81020-81026, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2923330
15. Iqbal, A., O. A. Saraereh, A. W. Ahmad, and S. Bashir, "Mutual coupling reduction using F-shaped stubs in UWB-MIMO antenna," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 2755-2759, 2018. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2017.2785232
16. Naderi, M., F. B. Zarrabi, F. S. Jafari, and S. Ebrahimi, "Fractal EBG structure for shielding and reducing the mutual coupling in microstrip patch antenna array," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 93, 261-267, 2018. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2018.06.028
17. Babashah, H., H. R. Hassani, and S. Mohammad-Ali-Nezhad, "A compact UWB printed monopole MIMO antenna with mutual coupling reduction," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 91, 55-67, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERC19010905
18. Veeramani, A., A. S. Arezomand, J. Vijayakrishnan, and F. B. Zarrabi, "Compact S-shaped EBG structures for reduction of mutual coupling," 2015 Fifth International Conference on Advanced Computing & Communication Technologies, 21-25, 2015.
19. El Ouahabi, M., A. Zakriti, M. Essaaidi, A. Dkiouak, and H. Elftouh, "A miniaturized dual-band MIMO antenna with low mutual coupling for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 93, 93-101, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERC19032601
20. Mishra, A. R., Fundamentals of Cellular Network Planning and Optimisation 2G/2.5G/3G ......Evolution to 4G, John Wiley & Sons Ltd, 2004. doi:10.1002/0470862696
21. Blanch, S., J. Romeu, and I. Corbella, "Exact representation of antenna system diversity performance from input parameter description," Electron. Lett., Vol. 39, No. 9, 705-707, 2003. doi:10.1049/el:20030495
22. Zhai, H., L. Xi, Y. Zang, and L. Li, "A low-profile dual-polarized high-isolation MIMO antenna arrays for wideband base-station applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 1, 191-202, Jan. 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2776346