A 6-element MIMO antenna system is introduced in this paper for N77, N78, and N79 (5G) communication bands. The proposed antenna element is composed of a four-section coupled line folded antenna. The performance of this antenna element is improved by using a partial ground plane combined with the DGS between the different elements of the MIMO antenna. The separated single antenna in this case has a reflection coefficient less than -10 dB over the frequency band from 3 GHz to 5 GHz. For the complete MIMO configuration, the reflection coefficientis less than -7 dB over the same frequency band for all the antenna elements. On the other hand, the isolation between antenna elements in the MIMO configuration is greater than 15 dB. The values of the MIMO parameters are calculated. These parameters include the Envelope Correlation Coefficient between the different elements (ECC), Diversity gain (DG), Total Active Reflection Coefficient (TARC), Channel Capacity Loss (CCL), and Mean Effective Gain (MEG). Good results are obtained for the MIMO parameters where ECC < 0.006, DG = 10, TARC < -7, CLL < 0.6, and -3 < MEG < -8. These performance parameters of the proposed MIMO system indicate that this antenna is suitable for 5G applications. The effect of the human hand on the S-parameter is also investigated. The proposed antenna is fabricated and measured to verify the simulation results.
Alaa M. Hediya,
Walid Saber El-Deeb,
"Multiple-Input Multiple-Output Antenna for Sub-Six GHz
5G Applications Using Coupled Folded Antenna with Defective Ground Surface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 114, 13-29, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21050304
1. Sun, L., Y. Li, Z. Zhang, and Z. Feng, "Wideband 5G MIMO antenna with integrated orthogonalmode dual-antenna pairs for metal-rimmed smartphones," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 68, No. 4, 2494-2503, 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2019.2948707
2. Liu, H. Y. and C. J. Huang, "Wideband MIMO antenna array design for future mobile devices operating in the 5G NR frequency bands n77/n78/n79 and LTE band 46," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 19, No. 1, 74-78, 2019.
3. Tu, D. T. T., N. T. B. Phuong, P. D. Son, and V. Van Yem, "Improving characteristics of 28/38 GHz MIMO antenna for 5G applications by using double-side EBG structure," Journal of Communications, Vol. 14, No. 1, 1-8, 2019. doi:10.12720/jcm.14.1.1-8
4. Garg, P. and P. Jain, "Isolation improvement of MIMO antenna using a novel flower-shaped metamaterial absorber at 5.5 GHz WiMAX band," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs, Vol. 67, No. 4, 675-679, 2019. doi:10.1109/TCSII.2019.2925148
5. Khade, S. S. and S. L. Badjate, "Square shape MIMO antenna with defected ground structure," 4th International Conference on Recent Advances in Information Technology (RAIT), 1-5, 2018.
6. Hu, W., X. Liu, S. Gao, L. Wen, Q. Luo, P. Fei, Y. Yin, and Y. Liu, "Compact wideband folded dipole antenna with multi-resonant modes," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 11, 6789-6799, Nov. 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2019.2925188
7. Banerjee, J., A. Karmakar, R. Ghatak, and D. R. Poddar, "Compact CPW-fed UWB MIMO antenna with a novel modified Minkowski fractal Defected Ground Structure (DGS) for high isolation and triple band-notch characteristic," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 31, No. 15, 1550-1565, 2017. doi:10.1080/09205071.2017.1354727
8. Rao, T. V., A. Sudhakar, and K. P. Raju, "Novel technique of MIMO antenna design for UWB applications using defective ground structures," Journal of Scientific & Industrial Applications, Vol. 77, No. 1, 66-69, 2018.
10. Sheeba, I. R., B. Velan, and M. Sugadev, "Design and analysis of energy band gap and defective ground structure on array of patch antenna using meta material," 2020 Third International Conference on Smart Systems and Inventive Technology (ICSSIT), IEEE, 2020.
11. Bhattacharjee, S., M. Mitra, and S. R. Bhadra Chaudhuri, "An effective SAR reduction technique of a compact meander line antenna for wearable applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 55, 143-152, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERM16121501
12. Hota, S., S. Baudha, B. B. Mangaraj, and M. V. Yadav, "A compact, ultrawideband planar antenna with modified circular patch and a defective ground plane for multiple applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 61, No. 9, 2088-2097, 2019. doi:10.1002/mop.31867
13. Parchin, N. O., H. J. Basherlou, Y. I. Al-Yasir, A. M. Abdulkhaleq, P. S. ExcellR. A. Abd-Alhameed, and , "Eight-port MIMO antenna system for 2.6 GHz LTE cellular communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 99, 49-59, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERC19111704
14. Saleem, R., M. Bilal, H. T. Chattha, S. U. Rehman, A. Mushtaq, and M. F. Shafique, "An FSS based multiband MIMO system incorporating 3D antennas for WLAN/WiMAX/5G cellular and 5G Wi-Fi applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 144732-144740, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2945810
15. Molins-Benlliure, J., M. Cabedo-Fabrés, E. Antonino-Daviu, and M. Ferrando-Bataller, "Effect of the ground plane in UHF chip antenna efficiency," 2020 14th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-5, IEEE, Mar. 2020.
16. Parchin, N. O., H. J. Basherlou, Y. I. Al-Yasir, A. M. Abdulkhaleq, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, and P. S. Excell, "Eight-port MIMO antenna system for 2.6 GHz LTE cellular communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 99, 49-59, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERC19111704
17. Saleem, R., M. Bilal, H. T. Chattha, S. U. Rehman, A. Mushtaq, and M. F. Shafique, "An FSS based multiband MIMO system incorporating 3D antennas for WLAN/WiMAX/5G cellular and 5G Wi-Fi applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 144732-144740, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2945810
18. Khalid, M., S. I. Naqvi, N. Hussain, M. Rahman, S. S. Mirjavadi, M. J. Khan, and Y. Amin, "4-port MIMO antenna with defected ground structure for 5G millimeter-wave applications," Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 1, 71, 2020. doi:10.3390/electronics9010071
19. Jiang, W., Y. Cui, B. Liu, W. Hu, and Y. Xi, "A dual-band MIMO antenna with enhanced isolation for 5G smartphone applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 112554-112563, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2934892
20. Saxena, G., P. Jain, and Y. K. Awasthi, "High isolation EBG based MIMO antenna for X-band applications," 2019 6th International Conference on Signal Processing and Integrated Networks (SPIN), IEEE, 2019.
21. Zhao, A. and Z. Ren, "Wideband MIMO antenna systems based on coupled-loop antenna for 5G N77/N78/N79 applications in mobile terminals," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 93761-93771, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2913466
22. Thakur, E., N. Jaglan, and S. D. Gupta, "Design of compact triple band-notched UWB MIMO antenna with TVC-EBG structure," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 34, No. 11, 1601-1615, 2020. doi:10.1080/09205071.2020.1775136