Broadband variations of a proximity fed circular microstrip antenna gap-coupled with narrow annular sectoral patches are proposed. The gap-coupling of pairs of parasitic annular sectors along the x- and y-axes of the fed patch tunes the spacing in between the fundamental modes on the respective patches that yields wider bandwidth. A maximum bandwidth of 728 MHz (55%) offering peak gain of nearly 9 dBi is obtained in the circular patch gap-coupled with four pairs of annular sectors along the x-axis. This bandwidth is around 13% larger than the bandwidth offered by a single circular microstrip antenna. Instead of using multiple sectoral patches, a gap-coupled design of circular patch with a stub loaded annular sectoral patch is presented. The stub tunes TM02 mode frequency with reference to the fundamental modes on the circular and sectoral patches that yields bandwidth of 660 MHz (51%). Resonant length formulation and subsequent design methodology for all the proposed gap coupled configurations are presented, which helps in the re-designing of similar antennas at the given fundamental mode frequency. All the optimum and re-designed antennas are fabricated, and the measured results shows close agreement with the simulations.
Venkata A. P. Chavali,
Amit A. Deshmukh,
"Multi-Resonator Variations of Circular Microstrip Antenna with Narrow Annular Sectoral Patches for Wideband Response," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 114, 143-158, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21061603
1. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, 2003.
2. Wong, K. L., Compact and Broadband Microstrip Antennas, 1st Ed., John Wiley & sons, Inc., New York, USA, 2002. doi:10.1002/0471221112
3. Sun, W., Y. Li, Z. Zhang, and Z. Feng, "Broadband and low-profile microstrip antenna using strip-slot hybrid structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 3118-3121, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2763987
4. Radavaram, S. and M. Pour, "Wideband radiation reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna loaded with two inverted U-slots," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 3, 1501-1508, 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2885433
5. Tiwari, R. N., P. Singh, and B. K. Kanaujia, "Butter fly shape compact microstrip antenna for wideband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 45-50, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERL17042703
6. Ray, K. P. and G. Kumar, "Multi-frequency and broadband hybrid coupled circular microstrip antennas," Electronics Letters, Vol. 33, No. 6, 437-438, 1997. doi:10.1049/el:19970294
7. Yoo, J. and H. W. Son, "A simple compact wideband microstrip antenna consisting of three staggered patches," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, September 2020.
8. Qian, J. F., F. C. Chen, Q. X. Chu, Q. Xue, and M. J. Lancaster, "A novel electric and magnetic gap-coupled broadband patch antenna with improved selectivity and its application in MIMO system," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 10, 5625-5629, 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2860129
9. Cao, Y., Y. Cai, W. Cao, B. Xi, Z. Qian, T. Wu, and L. Zhu, "Broadband and high-gain microstrip patch antenna loaded with parasitic mushroom-type structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 7, 1405-1409, 2019. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2019.2917909
10. Wi, S. H., Y. S. Lee, and J. G. Yook, "Wideband microstrip patch antenna with U-shaped parasitic elements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 4, 1196-1199, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.893427
11. Kandwal, A. and S. K. Khah, "A novel design of gap-coupled sectoral patch antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 674-677, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2264103
12. Balaji, U., "Bandwidth enhanced circular and annular ring sectoral patch antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 67-73, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERL19030507
13. Lu, H. X., F. Liu, M. Su, and Y. A. Liu, "Design and analysis of wideband U-slot patch antenna with U-shaped parasitic elements," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 28, No. 2, 1-11, 2018. doi:10.1002/mmce.21202
14. Wang, Z., J. Liu, and Y. Long, "A simple wide-bandwidth and high-gain microstrip patch antenna with both sides shorted," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 6, 1144-1148, 2019. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2019.2911045
15. Sharma, V., V. K. Saxena, J. S. Saini, D. Bhatnagar, K. B. Sharma, and L. M. Joshi, "Broadband gap-coupled assembly of patches forming elliptical patch antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 53, No. 2, 340-344, 2011. doi:10.1002/mop.25693
16. Ding, K., C. Gao, B. Zhang, Y. Wu, and D. Qu, "A compact printed unidirectional broadband antenna with parasitic patch," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2341-2344, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2718000
17. Cao, Y., Y. Cai, W. Cao, Z. Qian, and L. Zhu, "Wideband microstrip patch antenna loaded with parasitic metal strips and coupling slots," IEICE Electronics Express, Vol. 15, No. 15, 1-8, 2018. doi:10.1587/elex.15.20180671
18. Sharma, V. and M. M. Sharma, "Wideband gap coupled assembly of rectangular microstrip patches for Wi-Max applications," Frequenz, Vol. 68, No. 1-2, 25-31, 2014. doi:10.1515/freq-2013-0053
19. Xu, K. D., H. Xu, Y. Liu, J. Li, and Q. H. Liu, "Microstrip patch antennas with multiple parasitic patches and shorting vias for bandwidth enhancement," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 11624-11633, 2018. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2794962
20. Ray, K. P. and G. Kumar, "Multi-frequency and broadband hybrid coupled circular microstrip antennas," Electronics Letters, Vol. 33, No. 6, 437-438, 1997. doi:10.1049/el:19970294
21. Kumar, G. and K. C. Gupta, "Broadband microstrip antennas using additional resonators gap coupled to the radiating edges," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 32, No. 12, 1375-1379, 1985. doi:10.1109/TAP.1984.1143264
22. Li, M., Z. Zhang, and M. C. Tang, "A compact, low-profile, wideband, electrically-controlled, tripolarization- reconfigurable antenna with quadruple gap-coupled patches," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 68, No. 8, 6395-6400, 2020. doi:10.1109/TAP.2020.2970073
23. Aanandan, C. K., P. Mohanan, and K. G. Nair, "Broadband gap coupled microstrip antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 38, No. 10, 1581-1586, 1990. doi:10.1109/8.59771
24. Li, H., B. Lan, J. Ding, and C. Guo, "High gain low profile wideband dual-layered substrate microstrip antenna based on multiple parasitic elements," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 10, No. 4, 453-459, 2018. doi:10.1017/S1759078717001398
25. Chopra, R. and G. Kumar, "High gain broadband stacked triangular microstrip antennas," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, 1-8, 2020.
26. Chopra, R. and G. Kumar, "Broadband and high gain multilayer multi resonator elliptical microstrip antenna," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 14, No. 8, 821-829, 2020. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2019.0186
27. Li, D., P. Guo, Q. Dai, and Y. Fu, "Broadband capacitively coupled stacked patch antenna for GNSS applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 701-704, 2012.
28. Sun, D., W. Dou, L. You, X. Yan, and R. Shen, "A broadband proximity-coupled stacked microstrip antenna with cavity-backed configuration," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1055-1058, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2169389
29. Katyal, A. and A. Basu, "Compact and broadband stacked microstrip patch antenna for target scanning applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, 381-384, 2016.
30. Sung, Y. J., "Microstrip resonator doubling as a filter and as an antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 467-470, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2050851