With the technology of free space optical communication, information can be transmitted from the transmitter to receiver wirelessly without the necessity of fiber optic cables. This technology offers system security, extended bandwidth, high data rate, and simple installation. This work aims to improve the optical channel based on the optimization of different optical amplifiers and filters. Performance analysis is carried out using a rectangular optical filter (ROF) and two electrical amplifiers named automatic gain control (AGC) and transimpedance amplifier (TIA). The results are presented in terms of maximum quality factor as a function of link range. The proposed systems (represented by ROF and AGC) brought better performance than traditional one (represented by TIA) via the same link range and data rates used. The findings displayed the progress of the AGC which has better quality factor than TIA and ROF. For instance, at 5 m length, the AGC achieves a maximum Q-factor of 12.29, while the ROF and ATI reveal a Q-factor in the range of 9.8 and 7.01 respectively.
Haider J. Abd,
Sukaina Abdullah AL-Bairmani,
"Improvement of the Performance of Free Space Optics Channel Based on Optimized Systems Parameters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 105, 99-108, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERM21070806
1. Roy, R. and J. S. Babu, "Simulation and performance analysis of free space optical systems using multiple TX/RX and polarized CO-OFDM techniques under atmospheric disturbances," Int. J. Eng. Res.: Gen. Sci., Vol. 3, No. 1, 743-749, 2015.
2. Noor, N. H. M., A. W. Naji, and W. Al Khateeb, "Performance analysis of a free space optics link with multiple transmitters/receivers," IIUM Eng. J., Vol. 13, No. 1, 49-58, 2012.
3. Abd, H. J., A. H. Jaber, and A. A. Al-Haider, "Effectiveness of modulation formats to nonlinear effects in optical fiber transmission systems under 160 Gb/s data rate," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 78, 9-16, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERL18050901
4. Abd, H. J., S. A. Gitaffa, and M. G. Al-Hamiri, "Impact of optimized pulse shaping on optical transmission performance in the availability of different dispersion maps," Optik - International Journal for Light and Electron Optics, Vol. 241, 167006, 2021. doi:10.1016/j.ijleo.2021.167006
5. Liu, P., J. Wang, X. Zhou, and Y. Lu, "Design and simulation of optical wireless communication device based on SCM," International Conference on Applications and Techniques in Cyber Security and Intelligence ATCI 2018, 1074-1081, 2018.
6. Zhang, J., "Design and implementation of wireless communication system based on single chip microcomputer," Technological Development of Enterprise, Vol. 36, No. 1, 83-85, 2017.
7. Fan, X., "Design of wireless optical communication device based on MCU," Journal of Jilin Jianzhu University, Vol. 32, No. 5, 67-68, 2015.
8. Li, F., Z. Hou, and Y. Wu, "Optisystem experimental simulation of FSK optical wireless communication system," Optics & Optoelectronic Technology, Vol. 9, No. 5, 42-47, 2011.
9. Peng, L. and W. Fang, "Heterogeneity of inferring reputation of cooperative behaviors for the Prisoners' Dilemma game," Phys. A: Stat. Mech. Appl., Vol. 433, 367-378, 2015.
10. Kaur, K. and H. Singh, "Analysis of single-mode fiber link performance for attenuation in long-haul optical networks," J. Opt. Commun., Vol. 38, 27-32, 2017.
11. Ge, X., H. Cheng, M. Guizani, and T. Han, "5G wireless backhaul networks: challenges and research advances," IEEE Network 2014, Vol. 28, No. 6, 6-11, 2014.
12. Wang, C. X., et al. "Cellular architecture and key technologies for 5G wireless communication network," IEEE Commun. Mag., Vol. 52, No. 2, 122-130, 2014. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2014.6736752
13. Bohata, J., M. Komanec, J. Spáčil, Z. Ghassemlooy, S. Zvánovec, and R. Slavík, "24-26 GHz radio-over-fiber and free-space optics for fifth-generation systems," Opt. Lett., Vol. 43, 1035-1038, 2018. doi:10.1364/OL.43.001035
14. Jain, D. and R. Mehra, "Performance analysis of free space optical communication system for S, C and L band," 2017 International Conference on Computer, Communications and Electronics (Comptelix), IEEE, 2017.
15. Gupta, A., "Comparative analysis of free space optical communication system for various optical transmission windows under adverse weather conditions," Procedia. Comput. Sci., Vol. 89, 99-106, 2016.
16. Ashraf, M., G. Baranwal, D. Prasad, S. Idris, and M. T. Beg, "Performance analysis of ASK and PSK modulation based FSO system using coupler-based delay line filter under various weather conditions," Optic. Photon. J., Vol. 8, 277, 2018. doi:10.4236/opj.2018.88023
17. El-Nayal, M. K., M. M. Aly, H. A. Fayed, and R. A. Abdel Rassoul, "Adaptive free space optic system based on visibility detector to overcome atmospheric attenuation," Results Phys., Vol. 14, 102392, 2019. doi:10.1016/j.rinp.2019.102392
18. Chaudhary, S. and A. Amphawan, "The role and challenges of free-space optical systems," J. Opt. Commun., Vol. 35, 327-334, 2014.
19. Gies, D., "Safety of free-space optical communication systems," 2019 IEEE International Symposium on Product Compliance Engineering (ISPCE), IEEE, 2019.
20. Zhou, J., Y. Shao, Z. Wang, C. Li, Y. Zhou, and W. Ma, "A 16PSK-OFDM-FSO communication system under complex weather conditions," Optics and Photonics Journal, Vol. 6, 131-135, 2016. doi:10.4236/opj.2016.68B022
21. Burdah, S., R. Alamtaha, O. N. Samijayani, S. Rahmatia, and A. Syahriar, "Performance analysis of Q factor optical communication in free space optics and single mode fiber," Universal Journal of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol. 6, No. 3, 167-175, 2019. doi:10.13189/ujeee.2019.060311
22. Gupta, A., "Comparative analysis of free space optical communication system for various optical transmission windows under adverse weather conditions," Procedia. Comput. Sci., Vol. 89, 99-106, 2016.
23. Lema, G. G., "Free space optics communication system design using iterative optimization," Journal of Optical Communications, July 13, 2020.