In this communication, a compact Dielectric Resonator (DR) based multiple-input-multiple-output (MIMO) antenna is presented for wideband applications. The antenna consists of two modified kite-shaped monopoles where four DRs have been placed on the patch. Corners of four DRs have been etched to implement the orthogonal phase, which leads to circular polarization characteristics. Implementation of DRs also helps in bandwidth enhancement purpose. Two L-shaped parasitic strips along with a Y-shaped stub have been used in the ground plane so as to obtain high isolation, which leads to a decrease of mutual coupling between the antenna elements. The proposed antenna achieves a wide impedance bandwidth of 7.1-22 GHz (106%) along with low mutual coupling of less than -15 dB within the entire frequency range as well as circular polarization characteristics, which covers the frequency range (-3 dB) of 7.1-7.9 GHz (10.6%). Thus the antenna can be considered as a potential candidate for modern wireless communication systems.
"A Compact Dielectric Resonator Based Dual Port Circularly Polarised MIMO Antenna for Wideband Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 107, 51-63, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERM21091402
1. Ullah, U., I. B. Mabrouk, and S. Koziel, "Enhanced-performance circularly polarized MIMO antenna with polarization/pattern diversity," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 11887-11895, 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.2966052
2. Thai, P. K., H. Huang, and T. T. Le, "Circular polarized MIMO antenna utilizing parasitic elements for simultaneous improvements in isolation, bandwidth and gain," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 135, 153727, 2021. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2021.153727
3. Malviya, L., R. K. Panigrahi, and M. Kartikeyan, "Circularly polarized 2×2 MIMO antenna for WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 66, 97-107, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERC16051905
4. Dwivedi, A. K., A. Sharma, A. K. Pandey, et al. "Two port circularly polarized MIMO antenna design and investigation for 5G communication systems," Wireless Personal Communication, Vol. 66, 2021.
5. Alexa, F., B. Bardeanu, and D. Vatau, "MIMO antenna system for LTE," International Conference on Telecommunications and Signal Processing, 294-298, 2020.
6. Larsson, E. G., O. Edfors, F. Tufvesson, and T. L. Marzetta, "Massive MIMO for next generation wireless systems," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 52, No. 2, 186-195, 2014. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2014.6736761
7. Lee, S., S. Kim, K. Lee, and Y. Kim, "MIMO antenna using a ground plane protruding for WCDMA application," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 574-577, 2011.
8. Kumari, T., G. Das, A. Sharma, and R. K. Gangwar, "Design approach for dual element hybrid MIMO antenna arrangement for wideband applications," Int. J. RF Microwave Computer Aided Eng., Vol. 4, 1-10, 2018.
9. Nasir, J., M. H. Jamaluddin, M. Khaily, M. R. Kamarudin, and I. Ullah, "Design of a MIMO dielectric resonator antenna for 4G applications," Wireless Personal Communication, Vol. 3, 525-536, 2016. doi:10.1007/s11277-016-3174-3
10. McAllister, M. W., S. A. Long, and G. L. Conway, "Rectangular dielectric resonator antenna," Proceedings of the International Symposium Digest - Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 21, No. 3, 696-699, 1983.
11. Mongia, R. K., A. Ittibipoon, and M. Cuhaci, "Low profile dielectric resonator antennas using a very high permittivity material," Electronics Letters, Vol. 30, No. 17, 1362-1363, 1994. doi:10.1049/el:19940924
12. Mongia, R. K. and P. Bhartia, "Dielectric resonator antennas - A review and general design relations for resonant frequency and bandwidth," Int. J. RF Microwave Computer Aided Eng., Vol. 4, 230-247, 1994. doi:10.1002/mmce.4570040304
13. Mongia, R. K. and A. Ittpibon, "Theoritical and experimental investigations on rectangular dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 9, 1348-1356, 1997. doi:10.1109/8.623123
14. Kishk, A. and K. F. Lee, "Comparative study on different feeding techniques for dual polarized dielectric resonator antenna," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2006.
15. Denidni, T. A. and Z. Weng, "Hybrid ultra wideband dielectric resonator antenna and band notched designs," IET Microwave Antennas Propagation, Vol. 4, 450-458, 2011. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2009.0425
16. Yan, J. B. and J. T. Berhard, "Design of a MIMO dielectric resonator antenna for LTE femtocell base stations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 4, No. 2, 438-444, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2174021
18. Karmakar, A., P. Chakraborty, U. Banerjee, and A. Saha, "Combined triple band circularly polarised and compact UWB monopole antenna," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 13, No. 9, 1306-1311, 2019. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2018.5459
19. Banerjee, U., A. Karmakar, and A. Saha, "A review on circularly polarized antennas, trends and advances," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 12, No. 9, 922-943, 2020. doi:10.1017/S1759078720000331
20. Kumar, R. and R. K. Chaudhary, "A wideband circularly polarized cubic dielectric resonator antenna excited with modified microstrip feed," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1285-1288, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2504840
21. Huang, C. Y., J. Y. Wu, and K. L. Wong, "Cross-slotted coupled microstrip antenna and dielectric resonator antenna for circular polarization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 47, No. 4, 605-609, 1999. doi:10.1109/8.768798
22. Khoo, K. W., Y. X. Guo, and L. C. Ong, "Wideband circularly polarized dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 7, 1929-1932, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.900241
23. Chair, R., S. L. S. Yang, A. A. Kishk, K. F. Lee, and K. M. Luk, "Aperture fed wideband circularly polarized rectangular stair shaped dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 2, 1350-1352, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.872665
24. Lu, L., Y. C. Jiao, W. Liang, and H. Zhang, "A novel low-profile dual circularly polarized dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 5, 4078-4083, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2574882
25. Fakhte, S., H. Oraizi, and R. Karimian, "A novel low-cost circularly polarized rotated stacked dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 722-725, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2316118
26. Altaf, A., Y. Yang, K. Y. Lee, and K. C. Hwang, "Circularly polarized Spidron fractal dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1806-1809, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2427373
27. Kumar, R., R. Chowdhury, and R. K. Chaudhary, "A new dual mode wideband circularly polarized rectangular dielectric resonator antenna coupled with stubs and asymmetric ground plane for WiMAX applications," Int. J. RF Microwave Computer Aided Eng., Vol. 27, No. 7, 1-7, 2017. doi:10.1002/mmce.21108
28. Elfergani, I., J. Rodriguez, A. Iqbal, M. Sajedin, C. Zebiri, and R. A. Abd Alhameed, "Compact millimeter-wave MIMO antenna for 5G applications," 14th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-5, 2020.
29. Kareemulla, S. and V. Kumar, "A novel compact MIMO antenna for ultra wideband applications," IEEE International Conference on Signal Processing, Informatics, Communication and Energy Systems (SPICES), 1-5, 2015.
30. Sharawi, M. S., "Printed multi-band MIMO antenna systems and their performance metrics," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 55, No. 5, 218-232, 2013. doi:10.1109/MAP.2013.6735522
31. Blanch, S., J. Romeu, and I. Corbella, "Exact representation of antenna system diversity performance from input parameter description," Electronics Lett., Vol. 39, No. 9, 705-707, 2003. doi:10.1049/el:20030495
32. Gao, Y., Z. Feng, and L. Zhang, "Compact CPW-fed dielectric resonator antenna with dual polarization," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 544-547, 2011.
33. Das, G., A. Sharma, and R. K. Gangwar, "Triple band hybrid antenna with integral isolation mechanism for MIMO applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, No. 6, 1482-1491, 2017. doi:10.1002/mop.31188
34. Kumari, T., G. Das, and R. K. Gangwar, "Design approach for dual element hybrid MIMO antenna arrangement for wideband applications," RF and Microwave Computer Aided Engineering, Vol. 29, No. 1, 2018.
35. Nandi, S. and A. Mohan, "A compact dual-band MIMO slot antenna for WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2457-2460, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2723927