The experimental validation of reduced grating lobes in a seven-element, hexagonal, scanning phased array antenna with the one-wavelength element spacing is presented. The base element of the array is a single-layer, dual-mode antenna with self-scanning and nulling properties. For the selected scan angle of -30°, the required microstrip transmission line based feeding network, consisting of ring hybrids, power splitters, and branchline couplers, are designed and developed. A prototype of the complete array and feeding network was fabricated and successfully tested to show the effectiveness of the grating lobe reduction method using the dual-mode antenna elements in scanning phased array antennas with the one-wavelength element spacing.
"Validation of Grating Lobe Reductions in a Dual-Mode Scanning Phased Array Antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 106, 117-125, . doi:10.2528/PIERM21092909
1. Fourikis, N., Phased Array-Based Systems and Applications, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1997.
2. Mailloux, R. J., Phased Array Antenna Handbook, 2nd Ed., Artech House, Norwood, MA, USA, 2005.
3. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 4th Ed., Wiley, Hoboken, 620 NJ, USA, 2016.
4. Helander, J., D. Tayli, and D. Sjoberg, "Multi-port element for grating lobe suppression in sparse VHF phased array radars," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 67, No. 10, 6667-6671, Oct. 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2019.2925967
5. Tu, X., G. Zhu, X. Hu, and X. Huang, "Grating lobe suppression in sparse array-based ultra-wideband through-wall imaging radar," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 1020-1023, Oct. 2016.
6. Lu, B., S. X. Gong, S. Zhang, Y. Guan, and J. Ling, "Optimum spatial arrangement of array elements for suppression of grating-lobes of radar cross section," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 114-117, Feb. 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2044230
7. Bianchi, D., S. Genovesi, and A. Monorchio, "Randomly overlapped subarrays for reduced sidelobes in angle-limited scan arrays," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 1969-1972, Apr. 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2690824
8. Krivosheev, Y. V., A. V. Shishlov, and V. V. Denisenko, "Grating lobe suppression in aperiodic phased array antennas composed of periodic subarrays with large element spacing," IEEE Antennas Propag. Magazine, Vol. 57, No. 1, 76-85, Feb. 2015. doi:10.1109/MAP.2015.2397155
9. Brockett, T. J. and Y. R.-Samii, "Subarray design diagnostics for the suppression of undesirable grating lobes," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 3, 1373-1380, Mar. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2180333
10. Haupt, R. L., "Reducing grating lobes due to subarray amplitude tapering," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 9, No. 8, 846-850, Aug. 1985. doi:10.1109/TAP.1985.1143682
11. Bavaro, V., G. Caliano, and M. Pappalardo, "Element shape design of 2-D CMUT arrays for reducing grating lobes," IEEE Trans. Ultrason., Ferroelec., Freq. Contr., Vol. 55, No. 2, 308-318, Feb. 2008. doi:10.1109/TUFFC.2008.650
12. Hansen, R. C. and G. G. Charlton, "Subarray quantization lobe decollimation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 47, No. 8, 1237-1239, Aug. 1999. doi:10.1109/8.791937
13. Skobelev, S. P. and P.-S. Kildal, "Blindness removal in arrays of rectangular waveguides using dielectrically loaded hard walls," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 46, No. 4, 546-550, Apr. 1998. doi:10.1109/8.664119
14. Feng, B.-K. and D. C. Jenn, "Grating lobe suppression for distributed digital subarrays using virtual filling," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 1323-1326, Oct. 2013.
15. Iqbal, Z. and M. Pour, "Grating lobe reduction in scanning phased array antennas with large element spacing," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, No. 12, 6965-6974, Dec. 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2874717
16. Iqbal, Z., T. Mitha, and M. Pour, "A self-nulling single-layer dual-mode microstrip patch antenna for grating lobe reduction," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 9, 1506-1510, Sept. 2020. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2020.3007903
17. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, 2012.
18. Lim, J.-S. and S.-Y. Eom, "A new 3-way power divider with various output power ratios," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 2, 785-788, San Francisco, CA, USA, Jun. 17-21, 1996.
19., High Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS 18.0), Canonsburg, PA, USA, ANSYS, 2018.