This paper proposes an efficient method to simulate the micro-Doppler (MD) frequency of a ballistic warhead by considering a real flight scenario in monostatic and bistatic observations. The radar signal is difficult to obtain by changing the observation angle as the conventional electromagnetic software does obtain the reflected signal for a fixed target, so we transformed the pose of the model engaged in micro-motion in a local coordinates, to the pose on the trajectory, by constructing the transformation matrix. Then we obtained the radar signal by using the point scatterer model and the high frequency estimation method, physical optics, and compared the MD results by using the short-time Fourier transform. In simulations for various observation scenarios, MD signatures were successfully obtained, and scattering characteristics were accurately analyzed.
"An Efficient Modeling Method of the Ballistic Target for Monostatic/Bistatic Observations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 120, 195-208, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERC21110501
1. Fowler, K. R., "Instrumentation for ballistic missile defense: Lessons learned from the LEAP experiment," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 47, No. 5, 1092-1095, Oct. 1998. doi:10.1109/19.746562
2. Atrouz, B., H. Aait Ouazzou, and H. Kimouche, "Features influence on targets classification performance using the high range resolution profiles (HRR profiles)," 2007 IET International Conference on Radar Systems, 1-4, 2007.
3. Munoz-Ferreras, J. M. and F. Perez-Martinez, "On the doppler spreading effect for the range- instantaneous-doppler technique in inverse synthetic aperture radar imagery," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 7, No. 1, 180-184, Jan. 2010. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2009.2030372
4. Jung, J.-H., K.-T. Kim, S.-H. Kim, and S.-H. Park, "Micro-Doppler extraction and analysis of the ballistic missile using RDA based on the real ight scenario," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 37, 83-93, Jun. 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERM14040804
5. Chatzigeorgiadis, F. and D. Jenn, "A MATLAB physical-optics RCS prediction code," IEEE Antennas & Propagation Magazine, Vol. 46, No. 4, 137-139, Aug. 2004.
7. Zou, X.-H., X.-F. Ai, Y.-Z. Li, F. Zhao, and S.-P. Xiao, "Bistatic micro-doppler feature of the precessing cone-shaped warhead," Journal of Electronics and Information Technology, Vol. 34, No. 3, 609-615, 2012. doi:10.5515/KJKIEES.2019.30.3.243
8. Zou, X.-H., X.-F. Ai, Y.-Z. Li, F. Zhao, and S.-P. Xiao, "Bistatic micro-doppler of the spinning warhead with fins," Journal of Electronics and Information Technology, Vol. 34, No. 9, 2122-2127, 2012.
9. Johan, E.-M., "Derivation of the Euler-Rodrigues formula for three-dimensional rotations from the general formula for four-dimensional rotations,", arXiv General Mathematics, 2007. doi:10.3724/SP.J.1146.2012.00071
10. Cha, S.-B., S.-W. Yon, S.-H. Hwang, M. Kim, J.-H. Jung, J.-H. Lim, and S.-H. Park, "Radar Target Recognition Using a Fusion of Monostatic/Bistatic ISAR Image," The Journal of Korean Institute of Information Technology, Vol. 16, 12, 93-100, 2018.
11. Othman, K. A., P. F. S. A. Kamal, N. E. Abd Rashid, and R. S. A. R. Abdullah, "Study of Micro- Doppler effect on target spinning and precession for bistatic radar," 2018 International Conference on Radar, Antenna, Microwave, Electronics, and Telecommunications (ICRAMET), 1-4, 2018.
12. Chen, V. C., The Micro-Doppler Effect in Radar, Artech House, 2001.
13. Choi, I.-O., S.-H. Kim, J.-H. Jung, K.-T. Kim, and S.-H. Park, "Efficient recognition method for ballistic warheads by the fusion of feature vectors based on ight phase," The Journal of Korean Institute of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, Vol. 30, No. 6, 487-497, 2019.
14. Kim, H.-S., K.-T. Kim, and G.-W. Jeon, "A requirement assessment algorithm for anti-ballistic missile considering ballistic missile's ight characteristics," Journal of the Korea Institute of Military Science and Technology, Vol. 14, No. 6, 1009-1017, 2011. doi:10.5515/KJKIEES.2019.30.6.487
15. Choi, I.-O., K.-T. Kim, J.-H. Jung, S.-H. Kim, and S.-H. Park, "Efficient measurement system to investigate micro-Doppler signature of ballistic missile," International Journal of Aeronautical Space Sciences, Vol. 17, No. 4, 614-621, 2016. doi:10.9766/KIMST.2011.14.6.1009