An optical fiber sensor based on thin-core fiber (TCF) and no-core fiber (NCF) interference structures is presented and experimentally demonstrated to measure the curvature and temperature. The fabrication process of the sensor is simple and convenient, and the sensing part is formed by cascading a TCF and an NCF between two single-mode fibers. The dips at resonant wavelengths are generated in the optical transmission spectrum owing to mode interference. The experimental results indicate that an optical curvature sensitivity of -5.76 nm/m-1 is achieved in the linear range of 0.9895-3.2817 m-1, and that a temperature sensitivity of 0.18 nm/˚C is obtained in the temperature range of 25-55˚C. Additionally, the cross-sensitivity problem is solved using the coefficient matrix measurement method, and the cross-sensitivity is as low as 0.0312 m-1/˚C. Therefore, the sensor exhibits a highly reproducible technique and low cross sensitivity, which has a wide range of application prospects in the accurate measurement of mechanical arms and structural health monitoring.
1. Jang, M., J. S. Kim, S. H. Um, S. Yang, and J. Kim, "Ultra-high curvature sensors for multi-bend structures using fiber Bragg gratings," Opt. Express, Vol. 27, No. 3, 2074-2084, Feb. 2019. doi:10.1364/OE.27.002074
2. Yang, W., C. Li, M. Wang, X. Yu, J. Fan, Y. Xiong, Y. Yang, and L. Li, "The polydimethylsiloxane coated fiber optic for all fiber temperature sensing based on the multi-thin-multi fiber structure," IEEE Sens. J., Vol. 21, No. 1, 51-56, Jan. 2020. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2020.2972292
3. Abbas, L. G., A. Zhou, F. Mumtaz, A. Muhammad, Y. Dai, and R. Parveen, "Temperature and strain sensing with hybrid interferometer," IEEE Sens. J., Vol. 21, No. 23, 26785-26792, Dec. 2021. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2021.3120798
4. Hou, Y., J. Wang, X. Wang, Y. Liao, L. Yang, E. Cai, and S. Wang, "Simultaneous measurement of pressure and temperature in seawater with PDMS sealed microfiber Mach-Zehnder interferometer," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 38, No. 22, 6412-6421, Nov. 2020. doi:10.1109/JLT.2020.3012716
5. Azmi, A., A. Abdullah, M. Noor, M. Ibrahim, R. Ibrahim, T. Tan, and J. Zhang, "Dynamic bending and rotation sensing based on high coherence interferometry in multicore fiber," Opt. Laser Technol., Vol. 135, 106716, Mar. 2021. doi:10.1016/j.optlastec.2020.106716
6. Zhang, X., B. Liu, H. Zhang, J. Wu, B. Song, and C. Wang, "A magnetic field sensor based on a dual S-tapered multimode fiber interferometer," Meas. Sci. Technol., Vol. 29, No. 7, 075103, Jul. 2018. doi:10.1088/1361-6501/aac00e
7. Wang, F., K. Pang, T. Ma, X. Wang, and Y. Liu, "High-sensitivity and temperature-insensitive refractometer based on TNHF structure for low-range refractive index measurement," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 166, 167-175, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIER19102301
8. Chen, W., Z. Chen, Y. Zhang, and H. Li, "Fiber sensor for relative humidity measurement at water absorption band of 2 μm," Meas. Sci. Technol., Vol. 31, No. 3, 035101, Dec. 2019. doi:10.1088/1361-6501/ab55f3
9. Wang, F., L. Zhang, X. Wang, T. Ma, K. Yu, and Y. Liu, "A high-sensitivity sensor based on tapered dispersion compensation fiber for curvature and temperature measurement," Opt. Commun., Vol. 481, 126534, Oct. 2020.
10. Zhao, Y., C. Cai, and X. Li, "Temperature-insensitive optical fiber curvature sensor based on SMF-MMF-TCSMFMMF-SMF structure," IEEE T. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 66, No. 1, 141-147, Jan. 2017. doi:10.1109/TIM.2016.2615479
11. Zhou, Y., Y. Wang, H. Liu, J. Chen, P. Yang, L. she, F. Chen, J. Shao, Z. Guan, and Z. Zhang, "High-sensitive bending sensor based on a seven-core fiber," Opt. Commun., Vol. 483, 126617, Mar. 2021. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2020.126617
12. Dong, S., B. Dong, C. Yu, and Y. Guo, "High sensitivity optical fiber curvature sensor based on cascaded fiber interferometer," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 36, No. 4, 1125-1130, Feb. 2018. doi:10.1109/JLT.2017.2771507
13. Zhu, F., Y. Zhang, Y. Qu, W. Jiang, H. Su, Y. Guo, and K. Qi, "Stress-insensitive vector curvature sensor based on a single fiber Bragg grating," Opt. Fiber. Technol., Vol. 54, No. 102133, Jan. 2020.
14. Fu, X., J. Wen, Y. Zhang, D. Wang, F. Liu, H. Xie, G. Fu, and W. Bi, "Experimental and theoretical analysis of curvature sensor based on cladding mode resonance with triple cladding quartz specialty fiber," Opt. Commun., Vol. 429, 5-11, Dec. 2018. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2018.07.077
15. Zhang, S., Y. Liu, H. Guo, A. Zhou, and L. Yuan, "Highly sensitive vector curvature sensor based on two juxtaposed fiber Michelson interferometers with Vernier-like effect," IEEE Sens. J., Vol. 19, No. 6, 2148-2154, Mar. 2019. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2018.2884889
16. Zhao, Y., A. Zhou, H. Guo, Z. Zheng, Y. Xu, C. Zhou, and L. Yuan, "An integrated fiber michelson interferometer based on twin-core and side-hole fibers for multiparameter sensing," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 36, No. 4, 993-997, Feb. 2018. doi:10.1109/JLT.2017.2753256
18. Wang, S., W. Zhang, L. Chen, Y. Zhang, P. Geng, Y. Zhang, T. Yan, L. Yu, W. Hu, and Y. Li, "Two-dimensional micro bend sensor based on long-period fiber gratings in an isosceles triangle arrangement three-core fiber," Opt. Lett., Vol. 42, No. 23, 4938-4941, Dec. 2017. doi:10.1364/OL.42.004938
19. Oliveira, R., J. Osorio, S. Aristilde, L. Bilro, R. Nogueira, and C. Cordeiro, "Simultaneous measurement of strain, temperature and refractive index based on multimode interference, fiber tapering and fiber Bragg gratings," Meas. Sci. Technol., Vol. 27, No. 7, 075107, Jul. 2016. doi:10.1088/0957-0233/27/7/075107
20. Zhou, Y., W. Zhou, C. Chan, W. Wong, L. Shao, J. Cheng, and X. Dong, "Simultaneous measurement of curvature and temperature based on PCF-based interferometer and fiber Bragg grating," Opt. Commun., Vol. 284, No. 24, 5669-5672, Dec. 2011. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2011.08.048
21. Wo, J., Q. Sun, X. Li, D. Liu, and P. Shum, "Biconical-taper-assisted fiber interferometer with modes coupling enhancement for high-sensitive curvature measurement," Appl. Phys. B - Lasers O., Vol. 115, No. 1, 1-8, Apr. 2014. doi:10.1007/s00340-013-5565-4
22. Sun, X., H. Du, X. Dong, Y. Hu, and J. Duan, "Simultaneous curvature and temperature sensing based on a novel Mach-Zehnder interferometer," Photonic Sens., Vol. 10, No. 2, 171-180, Jun. 2020. doi:10.1007/s13320-019-0551-z
23. Gutiérrez Gutiérreza, J., J. Sierra-Hernandez, M, Vargas-Trevino, E. Lopez-Apreza, C. Romero-Salazar, O. Hernandez-Flores, J. Estudillo-Ayala, and R. Rojas-Laguna, "A curvature sensing setup based on an asymmetric concatenated tapered Mach-Zehnder interferometer," Opt. Laser Technol., Vol. 132, 106490, Dec. 2020. doi:10.1016/j.optlastec.2020.106490
24. Chen, E., B. Dong, Y. Li, X. Wang, Y. Zhao, W. Xu, W. Zhao, and Y. Wang, "Cascaded few-mode fiber down-taper modal interferometers and their application in curvature sensing," Opt. Commun., Vol. 475, 126274, Nov. 2020.
25. Cheng, H., S. Wu, Q. Wang, S. Wang, and P. Lu, "In-line hybrid fiber sensor for curvature and temperature measurement," IEEE Photon. J., Vol. 11, No. 6, 6803311, Dec. 2019. doi:10.1109/JPHOT.2019.2944988
26. Zhao, Y., L. Cai, and X. Li, "High sensitive modal interferometer for temperature and refractive index measurement," IEEE Photonic Tech. L., Vol. 27, No. 12, 1341-1344, Jun. 2015. doi:10.1109/LPT.2015.2421349
27. Yu, F., P. Xue, and J. Zheng, "Enhancement of refractive index sensitivity by bending a core-offset in-line fiber Mach-Zehnder interferometer," IEEE Sens J., Vol. 19, No. 9, 3328-3334, May 2019. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2019.2892718
28. Zhao, Y., M. Chen, F. Xia, L. Cai, and X. Li, "Small curvature sensor based on butterfly shaped Mach-Zehnder interferometer," IEEE T. Electron. Dev., Vol. 64, No. 11, 4644-4649, Nov. 2017. doi:10.1109/TED.2017.2746087
29. Zhang, Y., W. Zhang, Y. Zhang, S. Wang, L. Yu, and Y. Yan, "Simultaneous measurement of curvature and temperature based on LP11 mode Bragg grating in seven-core fiber," Meas. Sci. Technol., Vol. 28, No. 5, 055101, May 2017. doi:10.1088/1361-6501/aa609f
31. Zheng, Y., X. Yang, W. Feng, and W. Fan, "Optical fiber refractive index sensor based on SMF-TCF-NCF-SMF interference structure," Optik, Vol. 226, 169500, Jan. 2021.
32. Lu, H., X. Wang, S. Zhang, F. Wang, and F. Liu, "A fiber-optic sensor based on no-core fiber and Faraday rotator mirror structure," Opt. Laser Technol., Vol. 101, 507-514, May 2018. doi:10.1016/j.optlastec.2017.11.014
33. Raji, Y. M., H. S. Lin, S. A. Ibrahim, M. R. Mokhtar, and Z. Yusoff, "Intensity-modulated abrupt tapered Fiber Mach-Zehnder Interferometer for the simultaneous sensing of temperature and curvature," Opt. Laser Technol., Vol. 86, 8-13, Dec. 2016. doi:10.1016/j.optlastec.2016.06.006