A new planar compact antenna composed of two crossed Cornu spirals is presented. Each Cornu spiral is fed from the center of the linearly part of the curvature between the two spirals, which builds the clothoid. Sequential rotation is applied using a sequential phase network to obtain circular polarization and increase the effective bandwidth. Signal integrity issues have been addressed and designed to ensure high quality of signal propagation. As a result, the antenna shows good radiation characteristics in the bandwidth of interest. Compared to antennas of the same size in the literature, it is broadband and of high gain. Although the proposed antenna has been designed for K- and Ka-band operations, it can also be developed for lower and upper frequencies because of the linearity of the Maxwell equations.
9. Vinayagamoorthy, K., J. Coetzee, and D. Jayalath, "Microstrip to parallel strip balun as spiral antenna feed," Proc. of the IEEE 75th Vehicular Technology Conference, IEEE, Intercontinental Yokohama Grand, Yokohama, May 2012.
10. Bawer, R. and J. J. Wolfe, "A printed circuit balun for use with spiral antennas," IRE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 8, No. 3, 319-325, May 1960. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1960.1125239
11. Nakano, H., Y. Shinma, and J. Yamauchi, "A monofilar spiral antenna and its array above a ground plane --- Formation of a circularly polarized tilted fan beam," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 10, Oct. 1997.
12. Chen, A., Y. Zhang, Z. Chen, and S. Cao, "A Ka-band high-gain circularly polarized microstrip antenna array," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 1115-1117, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2093866
13. Insera, D., W. Hu, and G. Wenn, "Design of a microstrip series power divider for sequentially rotated nonuniform antenna array," Int. Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2017, Article ID 9482979, 8 pages, 2017.
14. Tcheg, P. and D. Pouhe, "A design methodology for the implementation of planar spiral antennas with an integrated corporate feed," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 106, 239-253, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERC20071304
15. Chen, A., C. Yang, Z. Chen, Y. Zhang, and Y. He, "Design of multilevel sequential rotation feeding networks used for circularly polarized microstrip antenna arrays," Int. Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2012, Article ID 304816, 2012.
16. Tcheg, P. and D. Pouhe, "K- and Ka-band Planar Spiral Antenna Arrays With Integrated Corporated Feeding Network," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 113, 227-238, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21040904
17. Wu, Q., H. Wang, C. Yu, and W. Hong, "Low-profile circularly polarized cavity-backed antennas using SIW techniques," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 7, 2832-2839, Jul. 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2560940
18. Baghernia, E., M. Mamdouh, M. Ali, and A. Razik Sebak, "2x2 slot spiral cavity-backed antenna array fed by printed gap waveguide," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 170609-170617, Sep. 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.3024564