A new design of a 2×2-element subarray antenna based on an all-cavity resonator structure is presented in this article. A novel topology which employs only two resonators to lay out the subarray is proposed, and two X-band rectangular waveguide cavity resonators are utilized for the subarray physical implementation. The first resonator is a conventional half-guided resonator operating at the TE101 mode. The second resonator, which is an oversized TE102 resonator based, is modified in order to keep the TE101 mode to propagate within the bandwidth of interest and facilitate the connection with four radiating apertures. The developed coupling matrix approach is utilized to calculate the desirable frequency response, which is a standard 2nd order Chebyshev response with introducing filtering functionality to the realised gain response of the subarray. The simulation results obtained by two simulation softwares (CST and Ansoft HFSS) validate the calculation results. An extremely wide impedance bandwidth of 23% at center frequency 10 GHz when the reflection coefficient S11 = -10 dB is obtained. A very stable realised gain with less than 0.5 dBi variations over the bandwidth of interest (8.8-11.1 GHz) is obtained with a peak gain value of 13.1 dBi at 11 GHz. The radiation patterns have very low side lobe levels, particularly in the E-plane, due to the existence of small non-radiating area and maintaining small spacing between the radiating apertures. The proposed 2×2-element subarray has the advantages of wider bandwidth and low profile compared with our and other previous 2×2-element subarrays.
Raad Salih Jarjees,
Rashad Hassan Mahmud,
"A New 2×2-Element Subarray Antenna Synthesis Based on Waveguide Cavity Resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 110, 133-143, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERM22030106
1. Zhang, M., T. Yamamoto, J. Hirokawa, and M. Ando, "A wideband circularly polarized corporate-fed waveguide aperture array in the 60 GHz band," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 20, 1824-1828, 2021. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2021.3098329
2. Volakis, J. L., Antenna Engineering Handbook, McGraw-Hill Education, 2007.
3. Miura, Y., J. Hirokawa, M. Ando, Y. Shibuya, and G. Yoshida, "Double-layer full-corporate-feed hollow-waveguide slot array antenna in the 60-GHz band," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, 2844-2851, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2158784
4. Ando, M., Y. Tsunemitsu, M. Zhang, J. Hirokawa, and S. Fujii, "Reduction of long line effects in single-layer slotted waveguide arrays with an embedded partially corporate feed," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, 2275-2280, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2044346
5. Arakawa, H., H. Irie, T. Tomura, and J. Hirokawa, "Suppression of E-plane sidelobes using a double slit layer in a corporate-feed waveguide slot array antenna consisting of 2×2-element radiating units," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, 3743-3751, 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2019.2902677
6. Tekkouk, K., et al., "Corporate-feed slotted waveguide array antenna in the 350-GHz band by silicon process," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, 217-225, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2631132
7. Shad, S. and H. Mehrpouyan, "60 GHz waveguide-fed cavity array antenna by multistepped slot aperture," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 19, 438-442, 2020. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2020.2966149
8. Kim, D., J. Hirokawa, M. Ando, J. Takeuchi, and A. Hirata, "4×4-element corporate-feed waveguide slot array antenna with cavities for the 120 GHz-band," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, 5968-5975, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2281361
9. Tomura, T., Y. Miura, M. Zhang, J. Hirokawa, and M. Ando, "A 45˚ linearly polarized hollow-waveguide corporate-feed slot array antenna in the 60-GHz band," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, 3640-3646, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2201094
10. Huang, G.-L., S.-G. Zhou, T.-H. Chio, and T.-S. Yeo, "Broadband and high gain waveguide-fed slot antenna array in the Ku-band," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 8, 1041-1046, 2014. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2013.0702
11. Hirokawa, J., "Plate-laminated waveguide slot array antennas and its polarization conversion layers," Automatika: časopis za automatiku, mjerenje, elektroniku, računarstvo i komunikacije, Vol. 53, 9-19, 2012.
12. Chen, Z., S.-G. Zhou, and T.-H. Chio, "A class of all metal cavity-backed slot array with direct metal laser sintering," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 69650-69659, 2018. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2880481
13. He, J., Y. Wu, D. Chen, M. Zhang, J. Hirokawa, and Q. Liu, "Realization of a wideband series-fed 4×4-element waveguide slot array in the X-band," IEEE Access, 2021.
14. Mahmud, R. H. and M. J. Lancaster, "High-gain and wide-bandwidth filtering planar antenna array-based solely on resonators," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, 2367-2375, 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2670443
15. Mahmud, R. H., H. N. Awl, Y. I. Abdulkarim, M. Karaaslan, and M. J. Lancaster, "Filtering two-element waveguide antenna array based on solely resonators," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 121, 153232, 2020.
16. Mahmud, R. H. and M. J. Lancaster, "A 2×2 filtering subarray element antennas using all-resonator structures," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 15, 592-599, 2021. doi:10.1049/mia2.12080
17. Mahmud, R. H., "Synthesis of waveguide antenna arrays using the coupling matrix approach,", University of Birmingham, 2016. doi:10.1049/mia2.12080
18. Williams, A. E., "A four-cavity elliptic waveguide filter," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 18, 1109-1114, 1970. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1970.1127419
19. Atia, A. E. and A. E. Williams, "Narrow-bandpass waveguide filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 20, 258-265, 1972. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1972.1127732
20. Skaik, T. F., M. Lancaster, and F. Huang, "Synthesis of multiple output coupled resonator circuits using coupling matrix optimisation," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 5, 1081-1088, 2011. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2010.0447
21. Shang, X., Y. Wang, W. Xia, and M. J. Lancaster, "Novel multiplexer topologies based on all-resonator structures," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, 3838-3845, 2013. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2013.2284496
22. Hong, J.-S. G. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, Vol. 167, John Wiley & Sons, 2004.
23. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, Chap. 6, John Wiley & Sons, 2011.
24. Miek, D., C. Bartlett, F. Kamrath, P. Boe, and M. Höft, "Investigation of the cutting plane and tolerance analysis of cross-coupled W-band waveguide filters with multiple transmission zeros by source to load cross-coupling," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, 1-10, 2021.
25. Lancester, M., Passive Microwave Device Applications of Superconductors, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1997. doi:10.1017/CBO9780511526688
26. C. M. Studio, , Computer Simulation Technology AG, Darmstadt, Germany, 2009.
27. El Mrabet, O., "High frequency structure simulator (HFSS) tutorial," IETR, UMR CNRS, Vol. 6164, 2005-2006, 2006.
28. Carceller, C., P. Soto, V. Boria, M. Guglielmi, and J. Gil, "Design of compact wideband manifold-coupled multiplexers," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 63, 3398-3407, 2015. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2015.2460738
29. Zhang, Y., et al., "A 3-D printed circularly polarized filtering antenna," 2019 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and USNC-URSI Radio Science Meeting, 1999-2000, 2019. doi:10.1109/APUSNCURSINRSM.2019.8889108
30. Santosa, C. E., J. T. S. Sumantyo, C. M. Yam, K. Urata, K. Ito, and S. Gao, "Subarray design for C-band circularly-polarized synthetic aperture radar antenna onboard airborne," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 163, 107-117, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIER18060602
31. Lin, C.-K. and S.-J. Chung, "A filtering microstrip antenna array," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, 2856-2863, 2011. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2011.2160986
32. Mansour, G., M. J. Lancaster, P. S. Hall, P. Gardner, and E. Nugoolcharoenlap, "Design of filtering microstrip antenna using filter synthesis approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 145, 59-67, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIER14011405