A wideband and widebeam magneto-electric (ME) dipole antenna is designed in this paper. Based on the conventional magneto-electric dipole antenna, a bent vertical metal plate is added to the electric dipole, and the impedance bandwidth (IBW) and beamwidth of the antenna are widened together. Inclined metal walls are added on both sides of the metal ground to improve the gain at high frequency and make the antenna gain more steady in the operating bandwidth. To further broaden the IBW of the antenna, the conventional Γ-shaped feed is changed into a branch structure. The IBW of the finally designed antenna reaches 56.8% (2.91-5.22 GHz). In the whole operational bandwidth, the radiation pattern in E-plane realizes the half power beam width (HPBW) of more than 110°, and the H-plane radiation pattern realizes the HPBW of more than 160°. The maximum width of E-plane HPBW is 175°, and the maximum width of H-plane HPBW is 229°.
1. Wang, J., L. Zhou, and W. Chen, "A novel wide beam UWB antenna," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, 961-964, 2010. doi:10.1109/ICMMT.2010.5525137
2. Ko, S. and J. Lee, "Hybrid zeroth-order resonance patch antenna with broad E-plane beamwidth," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 1, 19-25, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2220315
3. Wang, R., B.-Z. Wang, C. Hu, C. Gong, and X. Ding, "Low-profile on-board antenna with a broad beam based on three-current model," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 156, 13-24, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIER16022003
4. Zhu, A., S. Wu, J. Shi, P. Hu, and J. Li, "Low profile wide beamwidth antenna fed by 1 : 5 unequal wilkinson power divider," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 99, 111-118, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERL21041304
5. Luk, K. M. and H. Wong, "A new wideband unidirectional antenna element," International Journal of Microwave and Optical Technology, Vol. 1, No. 1, 35-43, 2006.
6. Li, Y. and K. M. Luk, "A linearly polarized magnetoelectric dipole with wide H-plane beamwidth," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 4, 1830-1836, 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2297163
7. Qiu, W., C. Chen, and W. Chen, "A broadband magnetoelectric dipole antenna with stable wide beamwidth," 2016 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (APSURSI), 1849-1850, 2016. doi:10.1109/APS.2016.7696631
8. Shuai, X., S. Xiao, X. Fan, and C. Gong, "A novel widebeam planar patch antenna for WLAN applications," 2016 11th International Symposium on Antennas, Propagation and EM Theory (ISAPE), 55-57, 2016. doi:10.1109/ISAPE.2016.7833873
9. Yang, G., S. Zhang, J. Li, Y. Zhang, and G. F. Pedersen, "A multi-band magneto-electric dipole antenna with wide beam-width," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 68820-68827, 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.2986292
10. Yang, D., X.-L. Liang, R.-H. Jin, and J.-P. Geng, "A broadband printed slot antenna with wide E-plane beamwidth," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (APSURSI), 1600-1601, 2014.
11. Yang, G., J. Li, D. Wei, and R. Xu, "Study on wide-angle scanning linear phased array antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 1, 450-455, 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2761999
12. Wang, R., P. Gao, P. Wang, and K. Kang, "A planar end-fire antenna with wide beamwidth for 60 GHz applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 61, 125-130, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERL16061902
13. Duan, G. and F. Zhang, "Low profile SIW cavity-backed magneto-electric dipole with wide beamwidth radiation patterns," 2018 12th International Symposium on Antennas, Propagation and EM Theory (ISAPE), 1-3, 2018.
14. He, Y. and Y. Li, "Dual-polarized microstrip antennas with capacitive via fence for wide beamwidth and high isolation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 68, No. 7, 5095-5103, 2020. doi:10.1109/TAP.2020.2975269
15. Idayachandran, G. and R. Nakkeeran, "Compact magneto-electric dipole antenna for LTE femtocell base stations," Electronic Letters, Vol. 52, No. 8, 574-576, 2016. doi:10.1049/el.2015.3266
16. Sun, S., Y. Jiao, and Z. Weng, "Wide-beam dielectric resonator antenna with attached higher- permittivity dielectric slabs," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 19, No. 3, 462-466, 2020. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2020.2968416