A reconfigurable filter integrated single-pole double-throw (SPDT) switch (FIS) based on capacitor loaded ring resonators is presented in this paper. The design incorporates two PIN diodes between two symmetric square ring resonators. The ring resonators can be switched between allstop and bandpass responses, by adjusting the state of the PIN diodes, allowing the corresponding signal path to be in OFF-state with high isolation or ON-state with bandpass filter response. For demonstration, filtering switch is fabricated and measured for 2.4 GHz applications. The measurement results feature an ON-state low insertion loss of -2.1 dB and port-to-port isolation of -50 dB at the band of interest, and good consistency is achieved between simulated and measured results.
Zayed Abdo Abdullah Nasser,
Noor Azwan Shairi,
Siti Normi Zabri,
Abdullah Mohammed Zobilah,
"Design of Filter Integrated SPDT Switch Using Capacitor Loaded Ring Resonator with High Isolation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 122, 253-266, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERC22031804
1. Jaiswal, A., S. Dey, M. P. Abegaonkar, and S. K. Koul, "Design and development of 60 GHz antenna integrated with RF MEMS SPDT switch for transceiver modules," 2018 IEEE International Symposium on Radio-frequency Integration Technology (RFIT), 1-3, IEEE, August 2018.
2. Algumaei, M. Y., N. A. Shairi, Z. Zakaria, A. M. S. Zobilah, and B. H. Ahmad, "Analysis of open stub resonator and its application in dual isolation band of SPDT switch design," International Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Vol. 6, No. 6, 2900, 2016.
3. Hu, K. Z., M. C. Tang, Y. Wang, D. Li, and M. Li, "Compact, vertically integrated duplex filtenna with common feeding and radiating SIW cavities," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 69, No. 1, 502-507, 2020. doi:10.1109/TAP.2020.2999381
4. Hosain, M. M., S. Kumari, and A. K. Tiwary, "Compact filtenna for WLAN applications," Journal of Microwaves, Optoelectronics and Electromagnetic Applications, Vol. 18, 70-79, 2019. doi:10.1590/2179-10742019v18i11220
5. Nasser, Z. A. A., Z. Zakaria, N. A. Shairi, S. N. Zabri, and A. M. Zobilah, "Design of compact filtenna based on capacitor loaded square ring resonator for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 96, 21-31, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERM20063008
6. Valizade, A., P. Rezaei, and A. A. Orouji, "A new design of dual-port active integrated antenna for 2.4/5.2 GHz WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 58, 83-94, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERB13102404
7. Bi, X., Q. Ma, C. Ning, and Q. Xu, "A compact switchable filtering diplexer based on reused L-shaped resonator," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs, Vol. 65, No. 12, 1934-1938, 2018. doi:10.1109/TCSII.2018.2810066
8. Li, Y. C., X. Fang, Q. Xue, and S. Chen, "Dual-mode filtering switches based on hybrid microstrip-cavity structures," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 69, No. 8, 3853-3860, 2021. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2021.3081726
9. Ma, K., Y. Wang, W. Li, and Y. Chen, "A novel compact self-packaged SPDT switchable BPFs based on SISL platform," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 66, No. 9, 7239-7249, 2018. doi:10.1109/TIE.2018.2874576
10. Ma, K., S. Mou, and K. S. Yeo, "A miniaturized millimeter-wave standing-wave filtering switch with high P1 dB," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, No. 4, 1505-1515, 2013. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2013.2250994
11. Xu, J., Q. H. Cai, Z. Y. Chen, and Y. Q. Du, "Quasi-lumped-element filter-integrated single-pole double-throw switch," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 65, No. 11, 4564-4571, 2017. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2017.2722404
12. Zobilah, A. M., N. A. Shairi, Z. Zakaria, P. W. Wong, M. K. Zahari, M. Y. Q. Algumaei, and Z. A. A. Nasser, "Absorptive filter integrated single pole double throw switch using switchable T-shape resonator for IoT applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 103, 167-176, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERC20050503
13. Weng, S. C., K. W. Hsu, and W. H. Tu, "Microstrip bandpass single-pole quadruple-throw switch and independently switchable quadruplexer," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 8, No. 4, 244-254, 2014. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2013.0198
14. Hou, F., Y. Shen, H. Luan, C. Sun, M. Huang, J. Zhu, and S. Hu, "Micropackaged compact switchable filters with high isolation in 3-D TSV-MEMS process," IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 11, No. 4, 647-654, 2021. doi:10.1109/TCPMT.2021.3068419
15. Xu, J., F. Liu, Z. Y. Feng, and Y. F. Guo, "Diplexer-integrated spdt switches with multiple operating modes using common fractal stub-loaded resonator," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 69, No. 2, 1464-1473, 2020. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2020.3039603
16. Xu, J., H. Wan, and Z. Y. Chen, "Sharp skirt bandpass filter-integrated single-pole double-throw switch with absorptive OFF-state," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 67, No. 2, 704-711, 2018. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2018.2880914
17. Xu, J., F. Liu, and Z. Y. Feng, "Single-/dual-band bandpass filter-integrated single-pole double- throw switch using distributed coupling tri-mode resonators," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 68, No. 2, 741-749, 2019. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2019.2953636
18. Xu, J., Q. H. Cai, Y. F. Guo, S. Y. Ji, and Y. W. Duan, "A BPF integrated SP4T switch using parallel switched fractal common feeding line," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs, Vol. 68, No. 6, 1932-1936, 2020. doi:10.1109/TCSII.2020.3048350
19. Xu, J., Q. H. Cai, and Z. Y. Feng, "BPF-integrated SPDT switches with improved performance using frequency selective star-junction matching circuit and switched magnetic coupling technique," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 68, No. 4, 1452-1461, 2019. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2019.2953910
20. Xu, J. X., X. Y. Zhang, H. Y. Li, and Y. Yang, "Narrowband single-pole double-throw filtering switch based on dielectric resonator," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 28, No. 7, 594-596, 2018. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2018.2837877
21. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, 2011.
22. Ibrahim, A. A., W. A. E. Ali, and M. A. Abdelghany, "Design of dual-band dual-mode band-pass filter utilizing 0◦ feed structure and lumped capacitors for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 10, 1697, 2020. doi:10.3390/electronics9101697
23. Hong, J. S. G. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, John Wiley & Sons, 2004.
24. Chang, K. and L. H. Hsieh, Microwave Ring Circuits and Related Structures, Vol. 156, John Wiley & Sons, 2004. doi:10.1002/0471721298
25. Chaturvedi, S., S. V. Bhalke, G. Sai Saravanan, and S. K. Koul, "Electromagnetic simulation and characterization a metal ceramic package for packaging of high isolation switches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 16, 111-125, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERC10061406
27. Xu, J., Q. H. Cai, and Z. Y. Chen, "A wideband bandpass filter integrated single-pole double-throw switch with wide stopband," Frequenz, Vol. 72, No. 11-12, 533-537, 2018. doi:10.1515/freq-2018-0045
28. Xu, J., Q. H. Cai, Z. Y. Chen, and Y. Q. Du, "Quasi-lumped-element filter-integrated single-pole double-throw switch," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 65, No. 11, 4564-4571, 2017. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2017.2722404