High frequency electromagnetic plane wave scattering by a large rectangular glass window on a conducting wall has been analyzed in this study. Scattering far-fields are formulated by means of the Kirchhoff approximation in which the fields are obtained from radiation integrals due to the equivalent current sources on the virtually closed window apertures. In order to consider the effect of the window glass, a dielectric slab layer has been inserted in the window hole, and the reflection and transmission through the slab are treated via waveguide modal theory. The validity of our formulation has been confirmed by the numerical comparison with another method for an empty window case. The effects of the window dimension, the glass layer, and the polarization have been discussed for practical high frequency mobile communications.
Cuong Manh Bui,
Khanh Nam Nguyen,
"Electromagnetic Wave Scattering Analysis by a Window Aperture on a Conducting Wall," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 122, 95-108, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERC22041501
1. Bertoni, L. H., Radio Propagation for Modern Wireless Systems, Prentice-Hall, New Jersey, 2000.
2. Morse, P. M. and P. J. Rubenstein, "The diffraction of waves by ribbons and by slits," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 54, No. 11, 895-898, Dec. 1938.
3. Kashyap, S. and M. A. K. Hamid, "Diffraction characteristics of a slit in a thick conducting screen," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 19, No. 4, 499-507, Jul. 1971. doi:10.1109/TAP.1971.1139961
4. Kang, S. H., H. J. Eom, and T. J. Park, "TM scattering from a slit in a thick conducting screen: Revisited," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 41, No. 5, 895-899, May 1993. doi:10.1109/22.234533
5. Park, T. J., S. H. Kang, and H. J. Eom, "TE scattering from a slit in a thick conducting screen: Revisited," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 42, No. 1, 112-114, Jan. 1994. doi:10.1109/8.272309
6. Jin, J. M. and J. L. Volakis, "TE scattering by an inhomogeneously filled aperture in a thick conducting plane," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 38, No. 8, 1280-1286, Aug. 1990. doi:10.1109/8.56967
7. Jin, J. M. and J. L. Volakis, "Electromagnetic scattering by and transmission through a three-dimensional slot in a thick conducting plane," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 39, No. 4, 543-550, Apr. 1991. doi:10.1109/8.81469
8. Hongo, K. and G. Ishii, "Diffraction of an electromagnetic plane wave by a thick slit," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 26, No. 3, 494-499, May 1978. doi:10.1109/TAP.1978.1141870
9. Serizawa, H., "Diffraction by a rectangular hole in a thick conducting screen,", Open access peer-reviewed chapter, IntechOpen, 2019.
10. Shirai, H., M. Shimizu, and R. Sato, "Hybrid ray-mode analysis of E-polarized plane wave diffraction by a thick slit," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 64, No. 11, 4828-4835, Nov. 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2608978
11. Shimizu, M., H. Shirai, and R. Sato, "Electromagnetic scattering analysis by a window model on a building wall," IEICE Trans. on Electron., Vol. J100-C, No. 7, 295-301, Jul. 2017 (in Japanese).
12. Felsen, L. B. and H. Shirai, "Hybrid ray-mode analysis of high-frequency wave coupling into large waveguides and cavities," Optics Lett., Vol. 12, No. 1, 7-9, 1987. doi:10.1364/OL.12.000007
13. Shirai, H. and L. B. Felsen, "Rays, modes and beams for plane wave coupling into a wide open-ended parallel-plane waveguide," Wave Motion, Vol. 9, No. 4, 301-317, Jul. 1987. doi:10.1016/0165-2125(87)90003-5
14. Nguyen, K. N. and H. Shirai, "Kirchhoff approximation analysis of plane wave scattering by conducting thick slits," IEICE Trans. on Electron., Vol. E102-C, No. 1, 12-20, Jan. 2019. doi:10.1587/transele.E102.C.12
15. Nguyen, K. N., H. Shirai, and H. Serizawa, "Electromagnetic scattering analysis from a rectangular hole in a thick conducting screen," IEICE Trans. on Electron., Vol. E104-C, No. 4, 134-143, 2021. doi:10.1587/transele.2020REP0001
16. Balanis, C. A., Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics, 2nd Ed., Wiley, New Jersey, 2012.
17. Felsen, L. B. and N. Marcuvitz, Radiation and Scattering of Waves, Prentice-Hall, New Jersey, 1973.
18. Shirai, H., Geometrical Theory of Diffraction, Corona Publishing Co., Ltd., 2015 (in Japanese).
19. Von Hippel, A. R., Dielectric Materials and Applications, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1954.