A new formulation for the finite-difference time-domain (FDTD) technique is presented, for nonlinear circuit components provided that their X-Parameter representations are known. Transient electric fields at specified locations within the FDTD simulation are updated based on the frequency domain behavior of a multi-port nonlinear device, using the X-Parameter behavioral model. The formulation is demonstrated through the simulation of a nonlinear common-emitter amplifier embedded in a microstrip circuit with X-Parameters calculated from SPICE simulation results. Agreement may be seen between the X-Parameter-based simulation results and those acquired using a lumped-element method.
Joshua M. Kast,
"FDTD Simulation of a Two-Port Nonlinear Device Characterized by Its X-Parameters.," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 122, 1-15, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERC22051706
1. Elsherbeni, A. Z. and V. Demir, The Finite-Difference Time-Domain Method For Electromagnetics with MATLAB Simulations, The Institution of Engineering and Technology, Raleigh, 2016.
2. Kast, J. M. and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Extraction of nonlinear X-Parameters from FDTD simulation of a one-port device," 2021 United States National Committee of URSI National Radio Science Meeting (USNC-URSI NRSM), 89-90, IEEE, 2021. doi:10.23919/USNC-URSINRSM51531.2021.9336444
3. Kast, J. M. and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Extraction of X-Parameters from FDTD simulation of a two-port nonlinear circuit," 2021 International Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Symposium (ACES), 1-3, IEEE, 2021.
4. Kast, J. M. and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "FDTD simulation of nonlinear diode characteristics using X-Parameter-based updating formulation," 2021 1st International Conference on Microwave, Antennas & Circuits (ICMAC), 1-4, IEEE, 2021.
6. Demir, V., "Formulations for modeling voltage sources with RLC impedances in the FDTD method," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society (ACES) Journal, Vol. 31, No. 9, 1020-1027, 2016.
7. ElMahgoub, K. and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "FDTD implementations of integrated dependent sources in full-wave electromagnetic simulations," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society (ACES) Journal, Vol. 29, No. 12, 1514-1523, 1994.
8. Piket-May, M., A. Taflove, and J. Baron, "FD-TD modeling of digital signal propagation in 3-D circuits with passive and active loads," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 42, No. 8, 1514-1523, 1994. doi:10.1109/22.297814
9. Kung, F. and H. T. Chuah, "Modeling of bipolar junction transistor in FDTD simulation of printed circuit board," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 36, 179-202, 2002. doi:10.2528/PIER02013001
10. Kuo, C., V. A. Thomas, S. T. Chew, B. Houshmand, and T. Itoh, "Small signal analysis of active circuits using FDTD algorithm," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 5, No. 7, 216-218, 1995. doi:10.1109/75.392279
11. Matteucci, M., P. Mezzanotte, L. Roselli, and P. Ciampolini, "Numerical analysis of electronic circuits with FDTD-LE technique," WIT Transactions on Engineering Sciences, Vol. 11, 197-204, 1996.
12. Kuo, C., B. Houshmand, and T. Itoh, "Full-wave analysis of packaged microwave circuits with active and nonlinear devices: An FDTD approach," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 45, No. 5, 819-826, 1997. doi:10.1109/22.575606
13. Root, D. E., J. Verspecht, J. Horn, and M. Marcu, X-Parameters: Characterization, Modeling, and Design of Nonlinear RF and Microwave Components, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2014.
14. Moon, T. K. and W. C. Stirling, Mathematical Methods and Algorithms for Signal Processing, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, 2000.
15. Balanis, C. A., Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, 2012.