This present article reports a high isolation four-port Wrench shaped compact UWB MIMO antenna with a novel decoupling network in the ground plane, and its step-by-step evolution is presented for 3.1-10.6 GHz. The proposed four-port MIMO antenna is fabricated on an FR4 substrate of size 44×44 mm2 (0.342λ0 × 0.342λ0), where λ0 is a free space wavelength at 2.33 GHz, with 7\,mm edge-to-edge spacing between the radiating elements. It consists of four orthogonal symmetrically placed identical radiating elements each of which has a Wrench-shaped circular patch with a rectangular slot cut in the partial ground. The performance characteristics of this MIMO antenna are reflection coefficients S11 ≤ -10 dB in the range from 2.33 GHz to 11.7 GHz, mutual coupling coefficients S21 ≤ -28.24 dB, and S31 ≤ -22.35 dB. The maximum peak gain is 5.15 dBi at 9.2 GHz, minimum is 1.27 dBi at 3.1 GHz. The maximum peak gain is 5.15\,dBi at 9.2 GHz, and minimum is 1.27 dBi at 3.1 GHz. The maximum efficiency is 98% at 4.66 GHz, and the minimum is 93% at 6 GHz. The diversity parameters of proposed four-port MIMO antenna are reported as ECC ≤ 0.2, DG ≤ 10, TARC ≤ -10 dB, the ratio of MEG between any two elements is near unity, and CCL < 0.38 bits/s/Hz in the band of interest. The design is fabricated and measured. The measured and simulated results are in good agreement and are within the permissible limits.
Durbhakula Manikya Krishna Chaitanya,
Virendra Kumar Sharma,
"High Isolation Four-Port Wrench Shaped Compact UWB MIMO Antenna for 3.1-10.6 GHz
Band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 122, 67-82, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERC22052605
1. Sharawi, M. S., "Printed multi-band MIMO antenna systems and their performance metrics," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 55, No. 5, 218-232, 2013. doi:10.1109/MAP.2013.6735522
2. Tiwari, R. N., P. Singh, B. K. Kanaujia, and K. Srivastava, "Neutralization technique based two and four port high isolation MIMO antennas for UWB communication," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 110, 152828, Oct. 2019.
3. Nikam, B. V. and M. R. Jadhav, "A compact quad port band-notched MIMO antenna for Wi-Max applications with low mutual coupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 104, 53-67, 2020.
4. Ali, W. A. E. and A. A. Ibrahim, "A compact double-sided MIMO antenna with an improved isolation for UWB applications," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 82, 7-13, Dec. 2017. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2017.07.031
5. Singh, D., A. A. Khan, S. A. Naqvi, M. Saeed Khan, A. D. Capobianco, S. Boscolo, M. Midrio, and R. M. Shubair, "Inverted-C ground MIMO antenna for compact UWB applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 35, No. 15, 2078-2091, 2021. doi:10.1080/09205071.2021.1934566
6. Andrade-Gonzalez, E. A., J. A. Tirado-Mendez, H. Jardon-Aguilar, M. Reyes-Ayala, A. Rangel-Merino, and M. Pascoe-Chalke, "UWB four ports MIMO antenna based on inscribed Fibonacci circles," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, 1-19, Jan. 2021.
7. Aggarwal, I., S.a Pandey, M. R. Tripathy, and A. Mittal, "Design and analysis of metamaterial-based SWB-MIMO antenna," IETE Journal of Research, 1-14, 2022. doi:10.1080/03772063.2021.2021820
8. Abbas, A., N. Hussain, M. A. Sufian, J. Jung, S. M. Park, and N. Kim, "Isolation and gain improvement of a rectangular notch UWB-MIMO antenna," Sensors, Vol. 22, No. 4, 1460, 2022. doi:10.3390/s22041460
9. Rajkumar, S., A. A. Amala, and K. T. Selvan, "Isolation improvement of UWB MIMO antenna utilising molecule fractal structure," Electronics Letters, Vol. 55, No. 10, 576-579, Apr. 2019. doi:10.1049/el.2019.0592
10. Desai, A., C. D. Bui, J. Patel, T. Upadhyaya, G. Byun, and T. K. Nguyen, "Compact wideband four element optically transparent MIMO antenna for mm-Wave 5G applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 194206-194217, Oct. 2020.
11. Singh, G., S. Kumar, B. K. Kanaujia, and V. K. Pandey, "Design and implementation of a compact tri-band four-port multiple-input-multiple-output antenna," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, e23218, 2022.
12. Keshri, P. K., S. K. Sahu, and R. Chandel, "CSRR-loaded compact quad port MIMO diversity antenna for UWB applications," IETE Journal of Research, 1-11, 2021. doi:10.1080/03772063.2021.2006804
13. Wu, Y., W. Wang, W. Wang, and J. Ran, "Design of a tri-band multiple input multiple output antenna with high isolation for 5G applications," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, e23153, 2022.
14. Hasan, Md N., S. Chu, and S. Bashir, "A DGS monopole antenna loaded with U-shape stub for UWB MIMO applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 61, No. 9, 2141-2149, 2019. doi:10.1002/mop.31877
15. Keshri, P. K., R. Chandel, S. Kumar Sahu, and A. K. Gautam, "Compact quad-port high performance UWB MIMO/diversity antenna with slotted ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 112, 193-205, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21030402
16. Tang, Z., X. Wu, J. Zhan, S. Hu, Z. Xi, and Y. Liu, "Compact UWB-MIMO antenna with high isolation and triple band-notched characteristics," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 19856-19865, Feb. 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2897170
17. Modak, S., T. Khan, T. A. Denidni, and Y. M. Antar, "Miniaturized self-isolated UWB MIMO planar/cuboidal antenna with dual X-band interference rejection," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 143, 154020, 2022. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2021.154020
18. Sadineni, R. B. and P. G. Dinesha, "Design of penta-band notched UWB MIMO antenna for diverse wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 107, 35-49, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERM21112602
19. Kulkarni, J., A. Desai, and C.-Y. D. Sim, "Wideband four-port MIMO antenna array with high isolation for future wireless systems," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 128, 153507, Jan. 2021. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2020.153507
20. Khan, M. S., A. Iftikhar, R. M. Shubair, A. D. Capobianco, B. D. Braaten, and D. E. Anagnostou, "A four element, planar, compact UWB MIMO antenna with WLAN band rejection capabilities," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 62, No. 10, 3124-3131, Oct. 2020. doi:10.1002/mop.32427
21. Kumar, S., G. H. Lee, D. H. Kim, W. Mohyuddin, H. C. Choi, and K. W. Kim, "A compact four-port UWB MIMO antenna with connected ground and wide axial ratio bandwidth," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 12, No. 1, 75-85, Feb. 2020. doi:10.1017/S1759078719000874
22. Choudhary, V., M. K. Meshram, and J. Hesselbarth, "Four elements reconfigurable MIMO antenna for dual band applications," International Journal of Advances in Microwave Technology, Vol. 7, No. 1, 274-282, 2022. doi:10.32452/IJAMT.2022.274282
23. Singh, G., S. Kumar, B. K. Kanaujia, and V. K. Pandey, "Design and performance analysis of a frequency reconfigurable four-element multiple-input-multiple-output antenna," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, 154118, 2022. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2022.154118
24. Yang, L., M. Xu, and C. Li, "Four-element MIMO antenna system for UWB applications," Radioengineering, Vol. 28, No. 1, 60-67, Apr. 2019. doi:10.13164/re.2019.0060
25. Naktong, W. and A. Ruengwaree, "Four-port rectangular monopole antenna for UWB-MIMO applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 87, 19-38, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERB19102902
26. Naidu, P. V., A. Saiharanadh, D. Maheshbabu, A. Kumar, and N. Vummadisetty, "Design and performance analysis of G-shaped compact ACS fed 4-port MIMO antenna for triple frequency band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 112, 55-68, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21021501
27. Naidu, P., D. Maheshbabu, A. Saiharanadh, A. Kumar, N. Vummadisetty, L. Sumanji, and K. A. Meerja, "A compact four-port high isolation hook shaped ACS fed MIMO antenna for dual frequency band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 113, 69-82, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21042701
28. Islam, S. N. and S. Das, "Isosceles triangular resonator based compact triple band quad element multi terminal antenna," Radioengineering, Vol. 29, No. 1, 52-58, Jan. 2020. doi:10.13164/re.2020.0052
29. Saurabh, A. K., P. S. Rathore, and M. K. Meshram, "Compact wideband four-element MIMO antenna with high isolation," Electronics Letters, Vol. 56, No. 3, 117-119, 2020. doi:10.1049/el.2019.2871
30. Gayatri, T., G. Srinivasu, D. M. K. Chaitanya, and V. K. Sharma, "Design and analysis of a compact wrench shaped uwb antenna for spectrum sensing in 3.1 GHz to 10.6 GHz," 2020 IEEE International RF and Microwave Conference (RFM), 1-4, 2020.