In this communication, a new compact UWB dual port multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) antenna is presented for wireless application. The design utilizes the property of dielectric resonator to achieve a bandwidth that ranges from 3.1 GHz to 18.5 GHz. The design has a compact size of 19×30×0.8 mm3. It consists of two rectangular shape monopole antenna elements with rectangular dielectric resonators sharing a similar ground plane. On the ground plane, a modified Hilbert curve with a meander line parasitic element was introduced to improve isolation between radiating elements which reduces mutual coupling issues. A band notch is achieved at WLAN band (5.09-5.8 GHz) by etching a pair of L-shape slots on each radiator. The gain of the antenna drops significantly at the centre of the notch band which indicates good interference suppression. Results show that the designed antenna provides a wide impedance bandwidth (below -10 dB) throughout the operating band of 3.1-18.5 GHz (142.6%). The antenna also produces nearly -20 dB isolation for the entire operating band. Results show that the simulated characteristics are in good agreement with the measured counterpart.
1., "Revision of part 15 of the commissions rules regarding ultra-wideband transmission systems first report and order FCC 02.V48," Federal Communications Commission. doi:10.1109/TIT.2003.810646
2. Zhengand, L. and N. C. Tse, "Diversity and multiplexing: A fundamental tradeoff in multiple-antenna channels," IEEE Transaction of Information Theory, Vol. 49, No. 5, 1073-1096, 2003. doi:10.1109/TVT.2005.861211
3. Zhou, Q. and H. Dai, "Joint antenna selection and link adaptation for MIMO systems," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 55, No. 1, 243-255, 2006. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2423318
4. Luo, C., J. Hong, and L. Zhong, "Isolation enhancement of a very compact UWB-MIMO slot antenna with two defected ground structures," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1766-1769, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2173452
5. Li, J., Q. Chu, and T. Huang, "A compact wideband MIMO antenna with two novel bent slits," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 482-489, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2019.2925857
6. Wang, L., et al., "Compact UWB MIMO antenna with high isolation using fence-type decoupling structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 8, 1641-1645, 2019. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2293765
7. Chattha, H. T., M. Nasir, Q. H. Abbasi, Y. Huang, and S. S. AlJa'afreh, "Compact low-profile dual-port single wideband planar inverted-F MIMO antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 1673-1675, 2013. doi:10.1002/mop.31188
8. Das, G., A. Sharma, and R. K. Gangwar, "Triple-band hybrid antenna with integral isolation mechanism for MIMO applications," Microwave Opt. Technology Letter., Vol. 60, No. 6, 1482-1491, 2018. doi:10.1002/mmce.21486
9. Kumari, T., G. Das, and A. Sharma, "Design approach for dual element hybrid MIMO antenna arrangement for wideband applications," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 29, No. 1, 1-10, 2019. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2017.0420
10. Das, G., A. Sharma, and R. K. Gangwar, "Wideband self-complementary hybrid ring dielectric resonator antenna for MIMO applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 12, No. 1, 108-114, 2018. doi:10.1002/mmce.20884
11. Nasir, J., M. H. Jamaluddin, M. Khalily, M. R. Kamarudin, and I. Ullah, "A reduced size dual port MIMO DRA with high isolation for 4G applications," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 25, No. 6, 495-501, 2015. doi:10.1007/s11277-016-3174-3
12. Nasir, J., M. H. Jamaluddin, M. Khalily, M. R. Kamarudin, and I. Ullah, "Design of an MIMO dielectric resonator antenna for 4G applications," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 88, 525-536, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2305696
13. Roslan, S. F., M. R. Kamarudin, M. Khalily, and M. H. Jamaluddin, "An MIMO rectangular dielectric resonator antenna for 4G applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 321-324, 2014. doi:10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.781.24
14. Selvaraju, R., M. R. Kamarudin, M. Khalily, M. H. Jamaluddin, and J. Nasir, "Dual-port MIMO rectangular dielectric resonator antenna for 4G-LTE application," Applied Mechanics and Materials, Vol. 781, 24-27, 2015.
15. Khan, A. A., R. Khan, S. Aqeel, J. Nasir, and J. Saleem, "Design of a dual-band MIMO dielectric resonator antenna with high port isolation for WiMAX and WLAN applications," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 17, No. 2, 1-11, 2017. doi:10.1080/00207217.2020.1727028
16. Kumar, V., "Rectangular DR-based dual-band CP-MIMO antenna with inverted Z-shaped slot," International Journal of Electronics, Vol. 107, No. 10, 1559-1573, 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.3012793
17. Sani, M. M., R. Chowdhury, and R. K. Chaudhary, "An ultra-wideband rectangular dielectric resonator antenna with MIMO configuration," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 139658-139669, 2020. doi:10.1007/s11277-020-07887-x
18. Yadav, S. K., A. Kaur, and R. Khanna, "Compact rack shaped MIMO dielectric resonator antenna with improved axial ratio for UWB applications," Wireless Personal Communication, Vol. 117, 591-606, 2021.
19. Karmakar, A., "Fractal antennas and arrays: A review and recent developments," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 13, No. 2, 1-25, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERC12052310
20. Karmakar, A., S. Verma, M. Pal, and R. Ghatak, "An ultra wideband monopole antenna with multiple fractal slots with dual band rejection characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 31, 185-197, 2012. doi:10.1002/mmce.21829
21. Gautam, A. K., A. Saini, N. Agrawal, and N. Z. Rizvi, "Design of a compact protrudent-shaped ultra-wideband multiple-input multiple-output/diversity antenna with band-rejection capability," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 29, No. 9, 1-11, 2019. doi:10.1049/el:20030495
22. Blanch, S., J. Romeu, and I. Corbella, "Exact representation of antenna system diversity performance from input parameter description," Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, No. 9, 705-707, 2003. doi:10.1109/MAP.2013.6735522
23. Sharawi, M. S., "Printed multi-band MIMO antenna systems and their performance metrics," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 55, No. 5, 218-232, 2013.
24. Banerjee, J., A. Gorai, and R. Ghatak, "Design and analysis of a compact UWB MIMO antenna incorporating fractal inspired isolation improvement and band rejection structures," International Journal of Electronics and Communications (AEÜ), Vol. 122, 1-9, 2020. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2018.06.035
25. Gorai, A., A. Dasgupta, and R. Ghatak, "A compact quasi-self-complementary Dual Band Notched UWB MIMO Antenna with enhanced isolation using Hilbert fractal slot," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 94, 36-41, 2018.