A planar suspended multiband Yagi antenna suitable for WLAN, LTE and 5G wireless applications has been presented. The antenna presented here has been optimized to offer operating bands centered at 2.05 GHz, 2.75 GHz, 3.8 GHz, and 6.5 GHz. The proposed antenna has good front to back (F/B) ratios of 14 dB, 13 dB, 12 dB, and 19 dB corresponding to four resonant frequencies. Similarly, the corresponding gain values are 2 dB, 1.3 dB, 3.1 dB, and 3.3 dB. A prototype antenna was fabricated and tested. Except the first resonance which is a single frequency, the other three operating bands offer impedance bandwidths of 3.98% (2.71 GHz-2.82 GHz), 5.48% (3.73 GHz-3.94 GHz), and 19.27% (5.93 GHz-7.195 GHz). Measured results agree fairly with the simulated characteristics of the proposed antenna.
Sarala S. Shirabadagi,
Veeresh G. Kasabegoudar,
"A Planar Suspended Multiband Yagi Antenna for WLAN, LTE, and 5G Wireless Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 122, 141-151, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERC22062303
1. Gaya, S., R. Hussain, M. S. Sharawi, and H. Attia, "Pattern reconfigurable Yagi-Uda antenna with seven switchable beams for Wi-MAX application," Microwave Optical Technology Letters, 1-6, 2019.
2. Hachi, A., H. Lebbar, and M. Himdi, "3D printed large bandwidth new Yagi-Uda antenna," Progress In Electromagnetic Research Letters, Vol. 88, 129-135, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERL19101303
3. Zou, X.-J., G.-M. Wang, Y.-W. Wang, and B.-F. Zong, "Mutual coupling reduction of quasi-Yagi antenna array with hybrid wideband decoupling structure," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 129, 2021. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2020.153553
4. Chaudhari, A. D. and K. P. Ray, "Compact broadband printed quasi-Yagi antenna with series fed double monopole," Microwave Optical Technology Letters, 1-8, 2020.
5. Huang, J. and A. C. Densmore, "Microstrip Yagi array antenna for mobile satellite vehicle application," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, No. 7, 1024-1030, Jul. 1991. doi:10.1109/8.86924
6. Yang, L. and J.-J. Zhuang, "Compact quasi-Yagi antenna with enhanced bandwidth and stable high gain," Electronic Letters, Vol. 56, No. 5, 219-220, 2020. doi:10.1049/el.2019.3338
7. Kumar, H. and G. Kumar, "Compact planar Yagi-Uda antenna with improved characteristics," EUCAP, 2017.
8. Liang, Z. and J. Yuan, "A compact dual-wideband multi-mode printed quasi-Yagi antenna with dual-driven elements," IET Microwaves Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 14, No. 7, 1-8, 2020. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2019.0693
9. Ta, S. X., C. D. Bui, and T. K. Nguyen, "Wideband quasi-Yagi antenna with broad-beam dual-polarized radiation for indoor access points," ACES Journal, Vol. 34, No. 5, 654-660, 2019.
10. Floc'h, J.-M. and A. El Sayed Ahmad, "Broadband quasi-Yagi antenna for Wi-Fi and Wi-Max applications," Wireless Engineering and Technology, Vol. 4, 87-91, 2013. doi:10.4236/wet.2013.42013
11. Kumar, H. and G. Kumar, "A broadband planar modified quasi-Yagi using log-periodic antenna," Progress In Electromagnetic Research Letters, Vol. 73, 23-30, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERL17102005
12. Chaudhari, A. D. and K. P. Ray, "Printed broadband quasi-Yagi antenna with monopole elements," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 14, No. 6, 468-473, 2020. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2019.0628
13. Ashraf, M. A., K. Jamil, A. Telba, M. A. Alzabidi, and A. R. Sebak, "Design and development of a wideband planar Yagi antenna using tightly coupled directive element," Micromachines, Vol. 11, 1-15, 2020.
14. Chaudhari, A. D. and K. P. Ray, "Broadband printed quasi-Yagi antenna with simple feeding structure," 2020 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and North American Radio Science Meeting, 1921-1922, 2020. doi:10.1109/IEEECONF35879.2020.9330338
15. Cai, R.-N., M.-C. Yang, S. Lin, X.-Q. Zhang, X.-Y. Zhang, and X.-F. Liu, "Design and analysis of printed Yagi-Uda antenna and two-element array for WLAN applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 1-8, 2012.
16. Mohammed, J. R., "Design of printed Yagi antenna with additional driven element for WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 37, 67-81, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERC12121201
17. Esmail, B. A. F., H. A. Majid, M. F. Ismail, F. Ghawbar, Z. Z. Abidin, and N. Al-Fadhali, "Dual beam Yagi antenna using novel metamaterial structure at 5G band of 28 GHz," 2021 IEEE Symposium on Wireless Technology & Applications (ISWTA), 2-5, 2021. doi:10.1109/ISWTA52208.2021.9587421
18. Bulla, G., M. T. Le, A. A. A. de Salles, and T. P. Vuong, "Miniaturized printed Yagi antenna for 2.45 GHz RFID readers," PIERS Proceedings, 822-824, Marrakesh, Morocco, Mar. 20-23, 2011.
19. Kasabegoudar, V. G. and S. Shirabadagi, "Quasi Yagi for state of the art applications," International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology, Vol. 70, No. 4, 1-14, 2022. doi:10.14445/22315381/IJETT-V70I4P201
20. Guo, H. and W. Geyi, "Design of Yagi-Uda antenna with multiple driven elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 92, 101-112, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERC19013002
21. Zhao, T., Y. Xiong, X. Yu, H. Chen, M. He, L. Ji, X. Zhang, X. Zhao, H. Yue, and F. Hu, "A broadband planar quasi-Yagi antenna with a modified bow-tie driver for multi-band 3G/4G applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 71, 59-67, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERC16101601
22. Chen, Z., M. Zeng, A. S. Andrenko, Y. Xu, and H.-Z. Tan, "A dual-band high-gain quasi-Yagi antenna with split-ring resonators for radio frequency energy harvesting," Microwave Optical Technology Letters, 1-8, 2019.
23. Qian, Z., L. Yang, and J. Chen, "Design of dual-wide-band quasi-Yagi antenna based on a dielectric resonator," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 16934-16940, 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.2967769
24. Abdullah, M. H., A. Marzuki, and M. T. Mustaffa, "Design of unlicensed dual band Quasi-Yagi antenna using semi-bowtie for indoor wireless power transfer application," Journal of Communications, Vol. 16, No. 12, 2021.
25. Elahi, M., Irfanullah, R. Khan, A. A. Al-Hadi, S. Usman, and P. J. Soh, "A dual-band planar quasi Yagi-Uda antenna with optimized gain for LTE applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 92, 239-250, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERC19022401
26. Maurya, N. K. and R. Bhattacharya, "CPW-fed dual-band compact Yagi-type pattern diversity antenna for LTE and Wi-Fi," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 107, 183-201, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC20090905
27. Cheong, P., K. Wu, W. Choi, and K. Tam, "Yagi-Uda antenna for multiband radar applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1065-1068, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2328991
28. Xu, K. D., D. Li, Y. Liu, and Q. H. Liu, "Printed quasi-Yagi antennas using double dipoles and stub-loaded technique for multi-band and broadband applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 31695-31702, 2018. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2838328
29. Chakraborty, A. and S. Srivastava, "High gain substrate integrated waveguide fed Yagi-Uda antenna array on silicon substrate for multiband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 116, 265-275, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21100703
30. Cebik, L. B. and W4RNL (SK), "Log periodic arrays," The ARRL Antenna Book, R. D. Straw, N6BV, ed., 21st Edition, 10.1-10.28, The American Radio Relay League, Inc., 2007.
31. Carrel, R., "The design of log-periodic dipole antennas," 1958 IRE International Convention Record, Vol. 9, 61-75, Mar. 21-25, 1966.