In this paper, an analytical model is presented to investigate the resonant characteristics of a graphene rectangular microstrip patch antenna. To take into account the graphene film patch in the full-wave spectral domain technique, surface complex impedance is considered. This impedance is determined by using Kubo formula. A set of roof top sub-domain basis functions are employed to model the current density distribution on the graphene rectangular microstrip patch. The simulation results demonstrate that the designed structure can provide excellent tunable properties in Terahertz frequency region by varying different chemical potentials and relaxation times of graphene film. Variations of dimension of rectangular patch on the resonant frequency and bandwidth of a graphene rectangular microstrip antenna are presented. Finally, numerical results for the dielectric substrates effects on the operating frequencies are also presented. The analysis is validated by comparing the results with a specific example in the literature.
"Numerical Analysis of Resonant Characteristics of Graphene Rectangular Microstrip Patch Antenna with Roof Top Functions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 122, 229-241, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERC22062701
1. Keshavarz, S., A. Abdipour, A. Mohammadi, and R. Keshavarz, "Design and implementation of low loss and compact microstrip triplexer using CSRR loaded coupled lines," AEU | International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 111, 152913, 2019. doi:10.1007/s10948-021-05891-1
2. Chettah, C., O. Barkat, and A. Chaabi, "Tunable properties of optical selective filters based on one-dimensional plasma superconductor photonic crystal," Journal of Superconductivity and Novel Magnetism, Vol. 34, 2239-2248, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC20112307
3. Keshavarz, S., R. Keshavarz, and A. Abdipour, "Compact active duplexer based on CSRR and interdigital loaded microstrip coupled lines for LTE application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 109, 27-37, 2021.
4. Llatser, I., C. Kremers, A. Cabellos-Aparicio, J. M. Jornet, E. Alarcon, and D. N. Chigrin, "Graphene-based nano-patch antenna for terahertz radiation," Photonics and Nanostructures-Fundamentals and Applications, Vol. 10, No. 4, 353-358, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC16111901
5. Wang, R., S. Raju, M. Chan, and L. J. Jiang, "Low frequency behavior of CVD graphene from DC to 40 GHz," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 71, 1-7, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERM19110803
6. Krid, H. B., Z. Houaneb, and H. Zairi, "Reconfigurable graphene annular ring antenna for medical and imaging applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 89, 53-62, 2020. doi:10.1016/j.ijleo.2019.163012
7. Khan, M. A. K., T. A. Shaem, and M. A. Alim, "Analysis of graphene based miniaturized terahertz patch antennas for single band and dual band operation," Optik, Vol. 194, 163012, 2019. doi:10.1016/j.ijleo.2019.163700
8. Khan, M. A. K., T. A. Shaem, and M. A. Alim, "Graphene patch antennas with different substrate shapes and materials," Optik, Vol. 202, 163700, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERC18080107
9. Hlali, A., Z. Houaneb, and H. Zairi, "Dual-band reconfigurable graphene-based patch antenna in terahertz band: Design, analysis and modeling using WCIP method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 87, 213-226, 2018. doi:10.1007/s11468-020-01200-z
10. Khan, M., A. Kaium, M. Ullah, R. Kabir, and M. A. Alim, "High-performance graphene patch antenna with superstrate cover for terahertz band application," Plasmonics, Vol. 15, No. 6, 1719-1727, 2020. doi:10.1016/j.ijleo.2022.169412
11. Shubham, A., D. Samantaray, S. K. Ghosh, S. Dwivedi, and S. Bhattacharyya, "Performance improvement of a graphene patch antenna using metasurface for THz applications," Optik, 169412, 2022. doi:10.1016/j.photonics.2020.100867
12. Temmar, M. N. E., A. Hocini, D. Khedrouche, and T. A. Denidni, "Analysis and design of MIMO indoor communication system using terahertz patch antenna based on photonic crystal with graphene," Photonics and Nanostructures --- Fundamentals and Applications, Vol. 43, 100867, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERM16050405
13. Gatte, M. T., P. J. Soh, H. A. Rahim, R. B. Ahmad, and F. Malek, "The performance improvement of THz antenna via modeling and characterization of doped graphene," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 49, 21-31, 2016. doi:10.1016/j.micrna.2022.207322
14. Kiani, N., F. T. Hamedani, and P. Rezaei, "Realization of polarization adjusting in reconfigurable graphene-based microstrip antenna by adding leaf-shaped patch," Micro and Nanostructures, 207322, 2022.
15. Song, R., C. Wang, Q. Chen, and D. He, "High conductivity graphene based films for antenna application," IEEE International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT), 1-3, 2020. doi:10.1017/S1759078721000179
16. Vashi, R., T. Upadhyaya, and A. Desai, "Graphene-based wide band semi-flexible array antenna with parasitic patch for smart wireless devices," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 14, No. 1, 86-94, 2022. doi:10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i47/106807
17. Dhariwal, S., V. K. Lamba, and A. Kumar, "Simulation and performance analysis of carbon nano-materials based patch antennas," Indian Journal of Science and Technology, Vol. 9, No. 4, 1-8, 2016.
18. Blackledge, J. M., A. Boretti, L. Rosa, and S. Castelletto, "Fractal graphene patch antennas and the THz communications revolution," IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 012001, IOP Publishing, 2021. doi:10.1016/j.ijleo.2022.169475
19. Chopra, K., S. Misra, S. H. Gupta, and A. Rajawat, "Design and optimization of multiarray antenna operating in terahertz (THz) band for in-vivo nanonetworks," Optik, 169475, 2022. doi:10.1016/j.physe.2017.08.001
20. George, J. N. and M. G. Madhan, "Analysis of single band and dual band graphene based patch antenna for terahertz region," Physica E: Low-dimensional Systems and Nanostructures, Vol. 94, 126-131, 2017. doi:10.5772/58758
21. Pierantoni, L., D. Mencarelli, M. Bozzi, R. Moro, and S. Bellucci, "Graphene-based electronically tuneable microstrip attenuator," Nanomaterials and Nanotechnology, Vol. 4, 18, 2014.
22. Kumar, V., "24 GHz graphene patch antenna array," The Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal (ACES), 676-683, 2019.
23. Aldrigo, M., M. Dragoman, S. Iordanescu, F. Nastase, D. Vasilache, and A. Ziaei, "Gain tunability of graphene patch antennas for the ISM band at 24 GHz," IEEE International Workshop on Antenna Technology (iWAT), 1-4, 2020. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2521881
24. Cao, Y. S., L. J. Jiang, and A. E. Ruehli, "An equivalent circuit model for graphene-based terahertz antenna using the PEEC method," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 4, 1385-1393, 2016. doi:10.3390/electronics7110285
25. Zhang, B., J. Zhang, C. Liu, Z. P. Wu, and D. He, "Equivalent resonant circuit modeling of a graphene-based bowtie antenna," Electronics, Vol. 7, No. 11, 285, 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2302831
26. Di Ruscio, D., P. Burghignoli, P. Baccarelli, D. Comite, and A. Galli, "Spectral method of moments for planar structures with azimuthal symmetry," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 4, 2317-2322, 2014. doi:10.1134/S1064226922010119
27. Zargano, G. F., A. M. Lerer, and A. O. Pelevin, "Spectral method for calculation of slotted antennas with layered insulator," Journal of Communications Technology and Electronics, Vol. 67, No. 1, 17-25, 2022. doi:10.1108/COMPEL-07-2012-0102
28. Barkat, O., "Improving the performances of triangular microstrip antenna with multilayered configuration," COMPEL: The International Journal for Computation and Mathematics in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol. 33, No. 1/2, 337-354, 2014. doi:10.1007/s10825-014-0584-x
29. Barkat, O., "Modeling and optimization of radiation characteristics of triangular superconducting microstrip antenna array," Journal of Computational Electronics, Vol. 13, No. 3, 657-665, 2014. doi:10.1109/8.660970
30. Park, S. O., C. A. Balanis, and C. R. Birtcher, "Analytical evaluation of the asymptotic impedance matrix of a grounded dielectric slab with roof top functions," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 46, No. 2, 251-259, 1998. doi:10.1016/j.ijleo.2018.12.091
31. Hlali, A., Z. Houaneb, and H. Zairi, "Tunable filter based on hybrid metal-graphene structures over an ultrawide terahertz band using an improved Wave Concept Iterative Process method," Optik, Vol. 181, 423-431, 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.858865
32. Hanson, G. W., "Fundamental transmitting properties of carbon nanotube antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 11, 3426-3435, 2005. doi:10.1063/1.2891452
33. Hanson, G. W., "Dyadic Green's functions and guided surface waves for a surface conductivity model of graphene," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 103, No. 6, 064302, 2008. doi:10.25046/aj050149
34. Hossain, M. B., M. S. Hossain, M. M. Hossain, and M. D. Haque, "Optimization of the feeding point location of rectangular microstrip patch antenna," Adv. Sci. Technol. Eng. Syst., Vol. 5, 382-386, 2020.
35. Younssi, M., A. Jaoujal, M. D. Yaccoub, A. El Moussaoui, and N. Aknin, "Study of a microstrip antenna with and without superstrate for terahertz frequency," Int. J. Innov. Appl. Stud., Vol. 2, 369-371, 2013.