The present work demonstrates the design of a wideband 2×1 reconfigurable beam steering array for wireless communication systems. The designed antenna is powered by a microstrip line, and consisting of a two rectangular-shaped radiating elements and a rectangular planar ground. Its dimensions are the following: 0.67λ0 x 0.53λ0 x 0.03λ0. It executes three reconfigurable operating states by turning on and off two PIN diodes to change the direction of the main beam, as well as a beam tilt ranging from (±30°) to (±38°). A progressive analysis in order to enhance the the antenna characteristic performances is furnished. The proposed reconfigurable antenna bandwidth is 18.18% (simulated), 18.84% (theoretical) and 19.42% (measured). The presented antenna has a maximum gain of 8.62 dB (simulated) and 8.45 dB (measured), and a higher efficiency ratio of 80% to 86% over the operating band (5 GHz-6 GHz). The designed antenna is fabricated using a low loss Rogers RT5880 substrate of 2.2 relative permittivity. The simulated, theoretical and measured results are presented and exhibit good accord, including the S11 parameter and radiation patterns. In addition to the pattern reconfiguration, the obtained results are useful in order to improve the overall gain, antenna bandwidth and efficiency.
1. George, R. and T. A. J. Mary, "Review on directional antenna for wireless sensor network applications," IET Communications, Vol. 14, 715-722, 2020. doi:10.1049/iet-com.2019.0859
2. Ojaroudi Parchin, N., et al., "Recent developments of reconfigurable antennas for current and future wireless communication systems," Electronics, Vol. 8, 128, 2019. doi:10.3390/electronics8020128
3. Mohamadzade, B., et al., "Recent developments and state of the art in flexible and conformal reconfigurable antennas," Electronics, Vol. 9, 1375, 2020. doi:10.3390/electronics9091375
4. Kamran Shereen, M., M. I. Khattak, and G. Witjaksono, "A brief review of frequency, radiation pattern, polarization, and compound reconfigurable antennas for 5G applications," J. Comput. Electron., Vol. 18, 1065-1102, 2019. doi:10.1007/s10825-019-01336-0
5. Singh, A., R. Dubey, R. Jatav, and M. K. Meshram, "Electronically reconfigurable microstrip antenna with steerable beams," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 149, 154179, 2022. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2022.154179
6. Haider, N., D. Caratelli, and A. G. Yarovoy, "Recent developments in reconfigurable and multiband antenna technology," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2013, 1-4, 2013. doi:10.1155/2013/869170
7. Ojaroudi Parchin, N., et al., "Reconfigurable antennas: Switching techniques --- A survey," Electronics, Vol. 9, 336, 2020. doi:10.3390/electronics9020336
8. Al Abbas, E., N. Nguyen-Trong, A. T. Mobashsher, and A. M. Abbosh, "Polarization-reconfigurable antenna array for millimeter-wave 5G," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 131214-131220, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2939815
9. Zhang, Z., S. Cao, and J. Wang, "Azimuth-pattern reconfigurable planar antenna design using characteristic mode analysis," IEEE Access, Vol. 9, 60043-60051, 2021. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2021.3073706
11. Zahra, H., et al., "A simple monopole antenna with a switchable beam for 5G millimeter-wave communication systems," Electronics, Vol. 10, 2870, 2021. doi:10.3390/electronics10222870
12. Deng, Z., et al., "Design, analysis, and verification of Ka-band pattern reconfigurable patch antenna using RF MEMS switches," Micromachines, Vol. 7, 144, 2016. doi:10.3390/mi7080144
13. Hu, J., et al., "A reconfigurable 1 × 4 circularly polarized patch array antenna with frequency, radiation pattern, and polarization agility," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 69, 5124-5129, 2021. doi:10.1109/TAP.2020.3048526
14. Shang, Y., et al., "Design of pattern reconfigurable patch antenna array based on reflective phase-shifter," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2022, 1-10, 2022. doi:10.1155/2022/2803285
15. Karam, M. Y. and R. M. Jafar, "Array pattern reconfiguration using pixel method," The Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal, Vol. 35, 273-278, 2020.
16. Faouzi, R., et al., "Pattern reconfigurable antenna for VANET, Wi-Fi, and WiMAX wireless communication systems," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2021, 1-12, 2021. doi:10.1155/2021/9973839
17. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., John Wiley, Hoboken, 2005.
18. Mohammed, J. R., "Design of printed Yagi antenna with additional driven element for WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 37, 67-81, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERC12121201
19., , Datasheet of Microsemi MPP4203 PIN Diodes: http://www.microsemi.com (accessed on March 19, 2022). doi:10.2528/PIERC12121201
20. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. J. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, Norwood, Mass., USA, 2000.
21. Lee, S. J., W. S. Yoon, and S.-M. Han, "Planar beam steerable parasitic array antenna system design based on the Yagi-Uda design method," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2019, 1-9, 2019.
22. Gaya, S., R. Hussain, M. S. Sharawi, and H. Attia, "Pattern reconfigurable Yagi-Uda antenna with seven switchable beams for WiMAX application," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 62, 1329-1334, 2020. doi:10.1002/mop.32147
23. Kang, L., H. Li, J. Zhou, and S. Zheng, "An OAM-mode reconfigurable array antenna with polarization agility," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 40445-40452, 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.2975846
24. Ghaffar, A., et al., "A flexible and pattern reconfigurable antenna with small dimensions and simple layout for wireless communication systems operating over 1.65-2.51 GHz," Electronics, Vol. 10, 601, 2021. doi:10.3390/electronics10050601
25. Ismail, M. F., M. K. A. Rahim, M. R. Hamid, H. A. Majid, and B. S. Nugroho, "Dual-band pattern reconfigurable antenna using electromagnetic band-gap structure," AEU | International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 130, 153571, 2021.