A novel miniature antenna is proposed for wireless communications in the K-band and Ka-band of the electromagnetic spectrum. The frequency band of this antenna extends from 18 to 40 GHz. The proposed antenna is a planar monopole printed on a thin dielectric substrate of 0.25 mm thickness. To enhance the frequency bandwidth of this antenna it is constructed as five circular sectors placed with sequential rotations and merged to form a multi-leaf shaped monopole patch antenna. To enhance the antenna performance, the monopole patch is fed through a coplanar waveguide (CPW) structure. This enables the overall antenna structure and the feeding CPW to be printed on only one side of the dielectric substrate leaving the other side blank, which reduces the dielectric loss and enhances the radiation efficiency. The assessment of the antenna performance is achieved through simulation as well as experimental work. A prototype of the antenna is fabricated for this purpose. The experimental results show excellent agreement with the simulation ones. The antenna is printed on a Rogers' RO3003 substrate of 0.25 mm thickness. It is shown, through both results, that the antenna has 2.2:1 ratio bandwidth, 76% percentage bandwidth, and 278 bandwidth-dimension ratio. The radiation efficiency is maintained above 99% over the entire bandwidth (18-40 GHz).
1. Eichler, J., P. Hazdra, M. Capek, T. Korinek, and P. Hamouz, "Design of a dual-band orthogonally polarized L-probe-fed fractal patch antenna using modal methods," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 1389-1392, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2178811
2. Singh, V., B. Mishra, and R. Singh, "Dual-wideband semi-circular patch antenna for Ku/K band applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 61, No. 2, 323-329, 2019. doi:10.1002/mop.31592
3. Singh, V., B. Mishra, P. N. Tripathi, and R. Singh, "A compact quad-band microstrip antenna for S and C-band applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 6, 1365-1369, 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.29799
4. Mishra, B., V. Singh, and R. Singh, "Dual and wide-band slot loaded stacked microstrip patch antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Microsyst Technol., Vol. 23, No. 8, 3467-3475, 2017. doi:10.1007/s00542-016-3120-z
5. Chandel, R. and A. K. Gautam, "Compact MIMO/diversity slot antenna for UWB applications with band-notched characteristic," Electron Lett., Vol. 52, No. 5, 336-338, 2016. doi:10.1049/el.2015.3889
6. Samsuzzaman, M., M. T. Islam, and J. S. Mandeep, "Triple band X shape microstrip patch antenna for Ku/K band applications," Modern Applied Science, Vol. 7, No. 8, 70, 2013.
7. Feltrin, E. and E. Weller, "New frontiers for the mobile satellite interactive services," 5th Advanced Satellite Multimedia Systems Conference and the 11th Signal Processing For Space Communications Workshop, 155-161, 2010.
8. Rafique, U. and S. A. Ali, "Ultra-wideband patch antenna for K-band applications," TELKOMNIKA Indonesian Journal of Electrical Engineering, Vol. 12, No. 12, 8252-8256, 2014. doi:10.11591/telkomnika.v12i12.6520
10. Chaloun, T., C. Hillebrand, C. Waldschmidt, and W. Menzel, "Active transmitarray submodule for K/Ka band satcom applications," 2015 German Microwave Conference, 198-201, IEEE, 2015. doi:10.1109/GEMIC.2015.7107787
11. Mishra, B., "An ultra compact triple band antenna for X/Ku/K band applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 61, No. 7, 1857-1862, 2019. doi:10.1002/mop.31812
12. Kandwal, A., "Compact dual band antenna design for Ku/Ka band applications," Advanced Electromagnetics, Vol. 6, No. 4, 1-5, 2017. doi:10.7716/aem.v6i4.450
13. Saini, A. S., A. Sharma, P. Srivastava, and K. Anjali, "Design of wideband microstrip antenna for X, Ku and K-band applications," 2021 International Conference on Advance Computing and Innovative Technologies in Engineering (ICACITE), 723-725, IEEE, 2021.