This work proposes a novel probe-fed circular patch antenna which has been fractaled and reconfigured to deliver enhanced performance. The circular ground plane is made defected using Cantor-square fractal geometry which reduces the cross-polarization level by about 12 dB. Further, by appropriate positioning of a PIN diode switch in the ground slot, the fractal Circular Microstrip Patch Antenna (CMPA) is enabled to achieve frequency reconfiguration. A prototype of the proposed antenna is fabricated and tested for the assessment of various parameters. The proposed fractal reconfigurable antenna has a peak gain well above 6 dB, high radiation efficiency, and a maximum bandwidth of about 700 MHz in the X-band (8-12 GHz). The present work aims to focus on the huge potential of fractal reconfigurable antennas in modern dynamic wireless communication systems.
"Cantor-Square Fractal Reconfigurable Circular Patch Antenna with Low Cross-Polarization for X Band Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 114, 219-232, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERM22093001
1. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, 2001.
2. Singh, I. and V. S. Tripathi, "Micro strip patch antenna and its applications: A survey," International Journal of Computer Applications in Technology, Vol. 2, No. 5, 1595-1599, 2011.
3. Khanna, G. and N. Sharma, "Fractal antenna geometries: A review," International Journal of Computer Applications, Vol. 153, No. 7, 29-32, 2016. doi:10.5120/ijca2016912106
4. Naqvi, S. A., "Miniaturized triple-band and ultra-wideband (UWB) fractal antennas for UWB applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 59, No. 7, 1542-1546, 2017. doi:10.1002/mop.30582
5. Kordzadeh, A. and F. Hojat-Kashani, "A new reduced size microstrip patch antenna with fractal shaped defects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 11, 29-37, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB08100501
6. Ali, J., S. Abdulkareem, A. Hammoodi, A. Salim, M. Yassen, M. Hussan, and H. Al-Rizzo, "Cantor fractal-based printed slot antenna for dual-band wireless applications," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 8, No. 2, 263-270, 2016. doi:10.1017/S1759078714001469
7. Chen, W.-L., G.-M. Wang, and C.-X. Zhang, "Small-size microstrip patch antennas combining Koch and Sierpinski fractal-shapes," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 738-741, 2008. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2008.2002808
8. Ahmed, Z., A. Muhammad, and M. B. Ihsan, "Improving the sidelobe level, return loss and bandwidth of notch-loaded TM30 mode patch via fractal-slot," IEEE Access, Vol. 10, 19917-19924, 2022. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2022.3152565
9. Costantine, J., Y. Tawk, S. E. Barbin, and C. G. Christodoulou, "Reconfigurable antennas: Design and applications," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 103, No. 3, 424-437, 2015. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2015.2396000
10. Chattha, H. T., M. Hanif, X. Yang, Q. H. Abbasi, and I. E. Rana, "Frequency reconfigurable patch antenna for 4G LTE applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 69, 1-13, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18022101
11. Saroj, A. K. and J. A. Ansari, "A reconfigurable multiband rhombic shaped microstrip antenna for wireless smart applications," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 30, No. 10, 2020. doi:10.1002/mmce.22378
12. Tripathi, S., A. Mohan, and S. Yadav, "A compact frequency-reconfigurable fractal UWB antenna using reconfigurable ground plane," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 59, No. 8, 1800-1808, 2017. doi:10.1002/mop.30631
13. Yang, S. S., A. A. Kishk, and K. Lee, "Frequency reconfigurable U-slot microstrip patch antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 127-129, 2008. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2008.921330
14. Zhang, Y., B.-Z., Wang, X.-S., Yang, and W. Wu, "A fractal Hilbert microstrip antenna with reconfigurable radiation patterns," 2005 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 3A, 254-257, 2005. doi:10.1109/APS.2005.1552228
15. Elwi, T. A., "Remotely controlled reconfigurable antenna for modern 5G networks applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 63, No. 8, 2018-2023, 2020. doi:10.1002/mop.32505
16. Cheng, H.-Y. and J.-S. Row, "A pattern reconfigurable design based on a slotted patch antenna with two feed ports," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 63, No. 12, 3035-3040, 2021. doi:10.1002/mop.33012
17. Majid, H. A., M. K. A. Rahim, M. R. Hamid, and M. F. Ismail, "Frequency and pattern reconfigurable slot antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 10, 5339-5343, 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2342237
18. Andrenko, A. S., I. V. Ivanchenko, D. I. Ivanchenko, S. Y. Karelin, A. M. Korolev, E. P. Laz'ko, and N. A. Popenko, "Active broad X-band circular patch antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 529-533, 2006. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2005.860200
19. Singh, A., S. Vijay, and R. N. Baral, "Low cross-polarization improved-gain rectangular patch antenna," Electronics, Vol. 8, No. 10, 1189, 2019. doi:10.3390/electronics8101189
20. Zhu, Z., C. Chen, Y. Chen, and W. Wu, "A broadband low cross-polarization u-slot patch antenna array based on differential feed," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 68, 211-219, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERC16052404
21. Chen, C., C. Li, Z. Zhu, and W. Wu, "Wideband and low-cross-polarization planar annual ring slot antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 3009-3013, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2757963
22. Guo, Y.-X., K.-W. Khoo, L. C. Ong, and K. M. Luk, "Broadband low cross-polarization patch antenna," Radio Science, Vol. 42, No. 05, 1-8, 2007. doi:10.1029/2006RS003595
23. Ali, T., N. Fatima, and R. C. Biradar, "A miniaturized multiband reconfigurable fractal slot antenna for GPS/GNSS/Bluetooth/WiMAX/X-band applications," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 94, 234-243, 2018. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2018.07.017
24. Tirunagari, A., B. Madhav, C. V. Kumar, P. Sruthi, M. Sahithi, and K. V. Manikanta, "Design of a frequency reconfigurable fractal antenna for Internet of Things (IoT) in vehicular communication," International Journal of Recent Technology and Engineering, Vol. 7, No. 6, 1605-1611, 2019.
25. Madhusudhana, K. and S. P. Hegde, "Reconfigurable fractal microstrip antenna with varactor diode," Global Transitions Proceedings, Vol. 3, No. 1, 183-189, 2022. doi:10.1016/j.gltp.2022.03.007
26. Hong, K.-D., X. Chen, X. Zhang, L. Zhu, and T. Yuan, "A slot-loaded high-gain circular patch antenna with reconfigurable orthogonal polarizations and low cross polarization," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 21, No. 3, 511-515, 2022. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2021.3136680
27. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory, Analysis and Design, John Wiley and Sons, 2005.
28. Campbell, M., "5.6 scaling and the Hausdorff dimension," Annennberg Learner: MATHematics Illuminated, 2013.
29. Duvall, P., J. Keesling, and A. Vince, "The Hausdorff dimension of the boundary of a self-similar tile," Journal of the London Mathematical Society, Vol. 61, No. 3, 748-760, 2000. doi:10.1112/S0024610700008711