In the wireless power transfer(WPT) system of electric vehicles, the magnetic shielding performance often comes at the expense of the transmission efficiency. How to maintain high transmission efficiency while reducing magnetic leakage is a challenge. For this reason, this paper proposes a double-layer passive magnetic shielding coil structure for an electric vehicle WPT system. First, a leakage optimization method is given, and the optimal parameters for each shielding coil are obtained with this method. Second, according to the obtained coil parameters, a WPT system with magnetic shielding for electric vehicles is developed. The correctness of the proposed structure and method is verified by simulation and experiment. Finally, when the system output is 4 kW, the proposed shielding structure not only reduces the maximum leakage field in the target area by 54.64%, but also has a transmission efficiency of 94.8%.
"Study of a Double-Layer Passive Magnetic Shielding System for Electric Vehicle WPT," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 137, 65-79, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERC23042103
1. Lu, J. and J. Zhao, "Research on electric vehicle dynamic wireless charging system with two coils in series," Journal of Power Supply, 1-15, Jul. 2022.
2. Rituraj, G. and P. Kumar, "A new magnetic structure of unipolar rectangular coils in WPT systems to minimize the ferrite volume while maintaining maximum coupling," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems, Vol. 68, No. 6, 2072-2076, Jun. 2021.
3. Li, J. and J. Li, "Design and optimization of asymmetric and reverse series coil structure for obtaining quasi-constant mutual inductance in dynamic wireless charging system for electric vehicles," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 71, No. 3, 2560-2572, Mar. 2021. doi:10.1109/TVT.2021.3138072
4. Zhang, J. and Q. Yang, "Optimization and characteristic analysis of wireless power driven vehicle featuring magnetic coupled resonance," Transaction of China Electrotechnical Society, Vol. 30, No. S1, 286-291, Sep. 2015.
5. Chen, J. and Z. Liu, "Research on multi coil reactive shielding of resonant wireless energy supply cardiac pacemaker," Transaction of China Electrotechnical Society, Vol. 37, No. 11, 2673-2685, Jun. 2022.
6. Cui, S. and B. Song, "A narrow-width three phase magnetic coupling mechanism with constant output power for electric vehicles dynamic wireless charging," 2018 IEEE PELS Workshop on Emerging Technologies-Wireless Power Transfer (WoW), 1-6, Jun. 2018.
7. Wang, J. and X. Wang, "Advances of wireless charging technology in electric vehicle," Journal of Power Supply, No. 3, 27-32, May 2014.
8. Sim, B. and S. Jeong, "A near field analytical model for EMI reduction and efficiency enhancement using an nth harmonic frequency shielding coil in a loosely coupled automotive WPT system," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 63, No. 3, 935-946, Jun. 2021. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2020.3039412
9. Campi, T. and S. Cruciani, "Magnetic field mitigation by multicoil active shielding in electric vehicles equipped with wireless power charging system," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 62, No. 4, 1398-1405, Aug. 2020. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2020.2988463
10. Campi, T. and S. Cruciani, "Numerical analysis applying the AMSL method to predict the magnetic field in an ev with a WPT system," 2018 IEEE Wireless Power Transfer Conference (WPTC), Montreal, QC, Canada, Feb. 2019.
11. Li, J. and X. Zhang, "Study on modelling and electromagnetic safety evaluation of the wireless power transfer system for electric vehicles," Journal of Power Supply, Vol. 1, No. 14, Aug. 2021.
12. Park, J. and D. Kim, "A resonant reactive shielding for planar wireless power transfer system in smartphone application," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 59, No. 2, 695-703, Apr. 2017. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2016.2636863
13. Zhu, J. and D. Chen, "Study on the magnetic field and shielding technique for an electric vehicle oriented wireless charging system," Transaction of China Electrotechnical Society, Vol. 30, No. S1, 143-147, Sep. 2015.
14. Lee, J. and Y. Lim, "Effective combination of soft magnetic materials for magnetic shielding," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 48, No. 11, 4550-4553, Nov. 2012. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2012.2196682
15. Dai, Z. and X. Zhang, "Magnetic coupling mechanism with omnidirectional magnetic shielding for wireless power transfer," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 1-10, Apr. 2023. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2023.3266089
16. Cruciani, S. and T. Campi, "Active shielding design for a dynamic wireless power transfer system," 2020 International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility-EMC EUROPE, 1-4, Sep. 2020.
17. Meng, J. and Y. Zhang, "Research of active magnetic shielding for wireless power transfer system of electric vehicles," Advanced Technology of Electrical Engineering and Energy, Vol. 40, No. 4, 44-51, Apr. 2021.
18. Zhou, G., Study on the coupling mechanism magnetic radiation suppression method for wireless power transfer system of electric vehicle, Chongqing University, Chongqing, China, 2017.
19. Xu, G., Research on electromagnetic compatibility of N-type magnetic coupler for dynamic wireless power supply of electric vehicle, Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, China, 2017.
20. Xu, J. and Y. Xu, "IPT resonant reactive shielding systems with the characteristics of optimal magnetic shielding effect on the target surface," Proceedings of the CSEE, Vol. 39, No. 18, 5490-5498+5597, Sep. 2019.
21. Lee, J. and D. Kim, "Low leakage electromagnetic field level and high efficiency using a novel hybrid loop-array design for wireless high power transfer system," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 66, No. 6, 4356-4367, Jun. 2019. doi:10.1109/TIE.2018.2851988
22. Kim, J. and H. Park, "Design and analysis of a resonant reactive shield for a wireless power electric vehicle," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 62, No. 4, 1057-1066, Apr. 2014. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2014.2305404
23. Moon, J. and S. Kim, "Design of a resonant reactive shield with double coils and a phase shifter for wireless charging of electric vehicles," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 51, No. 3, 1-4, Mar. 2015. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2014.2360701
24. Li, J. and L. Li, "Mutual inductance calculation of arbitrarily positioned rectangular coils with magnetic shielding in wireless power transfer systems," Transaction of China Electrotechnical Society, Vol. 37, No. 17, 4294-4305, Feb. 2022.
25. Kim, J. and S. Kong, "Coil design and shielding methods for a magnetic resonant wireless power transfer system," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 101, No. 6, 1332-1342, Mar. 2013. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2013.2247551
26. Mi, M. and Q. Yang, "Multi-objective active shielding coil design for wireless electric vehicle charging system," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 58, No. 2, 8700505, Feb. 2022. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2021.3094721
27. L, R. and Q. Yang, "Efficient shielding design and optimization of wireless power transfer system with proximity coupling," Automation of Electric Power Systems, Vol. 43, No. 21, 163-169, Oct. 2019.