In this communication, a compact metasurface-based circularly polarized antenna with inverted L-shaped slots engraved in the ground is proposed for biomedical applications. The prospective antenna operates in the two frequency bands covering Medical Device Radio Service (Med Radio) and Industrial, Scientific, and Medicine (ISM) bands with center frequencies of 2.45 GHz and 4.1 GHz respectively. On mounting the prototype on the body, the impedance bandwidth of 14.4% and 42.5%, peak gain of 3.04 dB, and AR bandwidth of 0.3 GHz and 1.1 GHz in the two frequency bands (2.31-2.67 GHz and 3.28-5.04 GHz) are obtained respectively. For validating the prospective design, an antenna with the size of 0.264λ0 × 0.264λ0 × 0.014λ0 was fabricated on a Rogers RT/Duroid 6002 substrate and measurements were done in different scenarios. Link budget analysis of the device was also done for ensuring its communication ability.
Javaid Ahmad Sheikh,
Gh. Jeelani Qureshi,
"Design of a Metasurface Inspired Circularly Polarized Dual-Band Compact Antenna for Biomedical Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 119, 1-12, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERM23060103
1. Zada, M., I. A. Shah, and H. Yoo, "Metamaterial-loaded compact high-gain dual-band circularly polarized implantable antenna system for multiple biomedical applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 68, No. 2, 1140-1144, Feb. 2020. doi:10.1109/TAP.2019.2938573
2. Ramli, K. N., R. A. Abd-Alhameed, C. H. See, P. S. Excell, and J. M. Noras, "Hybrid computational scheme for antenna-human body interaction," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 133, 117-136, 2012.
3. Kibret, B., A. K. Teshome, and D. Lai, "Human body as antenna and its effect on human body communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 148, 193-207, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIER14061207
4. Malik, N. A., P. Sant, T. Ajmal, and M. Ur-Rehman, "Implantable antennas for bio-medical applications," IEEE Journal of Electromagnetics RF and Microwaves in Medicine and Biology, Vol. 5, No. 1, 84-96, 2021. doi:10.1109/JERM.2020.3026588
5. Chaouche, Y. B., M. Nedil, I. B. Mabrouk, and O. M. Ramahi, "A wearable circularly polarized antenna backed by AMC reflector for WBAN communications," IEEE Access, Vol. 10, 12838-12852, 2022. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2022.3146386
6. Kaim, V., B. K. Kanaujia, S. Kumar, H. C. Choi, K. W. Kim, and K. Rambabu, "Ultra-miniature circularly polarized CPW-fed implantable antenna design and its validation for biotelemetry applications," Scientific Reports, Vol. 10, No. 1, 1-16, 2020. doi:10.1038/s41598-020-63780-4
7. Chen, Y., X. Liu, Y. Fan, and H. Yang, "Wearable wideband circularly polarized array antenna for off-body applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 21, No. 5, 1051-1055, 2022. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2022.3157367
8. Khan, U. R., J. A. Sheikh, A. Junaid, R. Amin, S. Ashraf, and S. Ahmed, "Design of a compact hybrid Moore's fractal inspired wearable antenna for IoT enabled bio-telemetry in diagnostic health monitoring system," IEEE Access, Vol. 10, 116129-116140, 2022. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2022.3219442
9. Yang, H. C., X. Y. Liu, Y. Fan, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Flexible circularly polarized antenna with axial ratio bandwidth enhancement for off-body communications," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 15, 754-767, 2021. doi:10.1049/mia2.12081
10. Iqbal, A., A. Smida, A. J. Alazemi, M. I. Waly, N. K. Mallat, and S. Kim, "Wideband circularly polarized MIMO antenna for high data wearable biotelemetric devices," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 17935-17944, 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.2967397
11. Chen, Y., X. Liu, Y. Fan, and H. Yang, "Wearable wideband circularly polarized array antenna for off-body applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 21, No. 5, 1051-1055, May 2022. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2022.3157367
12. Le, T. T., Y.-D. Kim, and T. Y. Yun, "Wearable pattern-diversity dual-polarized button antenna for versatile on-/off-body communications," IEEE Access, Vol. 10, 98700-98711, 2022. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2022.3206799
13. Le, T. T., Y.-D. Kim, and T. Y. Yun, "A triple-band dual-open-ring high gain high-efficiency antenna for wearable applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 9, 118435-118442, 2021. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2021.3107605
14. Zhou, L., S. Fang, and X. Jia, "Dual-band and dual-polarised circular patch textile antenna for on-/off-body WBAN applications," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 14, No. 7, 643-648, Jun. 2020. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2019.1073
15. Yin, X., S. J. Chen, and C. Fumeaux, "Wearable dual-band dual polarization button antenna for WBAN applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 12, 2240-2244, Dec. 2020. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2020.3028868
16. Zhang, X. Y., H. Wong, T. Mo, and Y. F. Cao, "Dual-band dual-mode button antenna for on-body and off-body communication," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Circuits and Systems, Vol. 11, No. 4, 933-941, Aug. 2017. doi:10.1109/TBCAS.2017.2679048
17. Jiang, Z. H., M. D. Gregory, and D. H. Werner, "Design and experimental investigation of a compact circularly polarized integrated filtering antenna for wearable biotelemetric devices," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Circuits and Systems, Vol. 10, No. 2, 328-338, Apr. 2016. doi:10.1109/TBCAS.2015.2438551
18. Numan, A. B. and M. S. Sharawi, "Extraction of material parameters for metamaterials using a full-wave simulator [Education Column]," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 55, No. 5, 202-211, Oct. 2013. doi:10.1109/MAP.2013.6735515
19. Mishra, N. and R. K. Chaudhary, "A miniaturized ZOR antenna with enhanced bandwidth for WiMAX applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.29727
20. Mishra, N. and R. K. Chaudhary, "A compact wideband short-ended metamaterial antenna for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 66, 93-98, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERL17012503
21. Mishra, N. and R. K. Chaudhary, "A compact CPW fed CRR loaded four element metamaterial array antenna for wireless application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 159, 15-26, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIER17021304
22. Mishra, N. and R. Chaudhary, "A miniaturized directive high gain metamaterial antenna using ELC ground for WiMAX application," International Journal of Electronics Letters, Vol. 7, 2018.
23. Kumar, S. and R. Kumari, "Composite right/left-handed ultra-wideband metamaterial antenna with improved gain," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 63, 2020.
24. Pimienta Del Valle, D. and R. Lagar-Perez, "Design of a dual-band PIFA for handset devices and it SAR evaluation," Ingenieria, Investigacion y Tecnologia, Vol. 17, 169-178, 2016. doi:10.1016/j.riit.2016.06.002