In XLPE cables, partial discharge (PD) is often accompanied by the generation of ultrasonic waves, which can be used to estimate the location and size of PD. Studying the propagation law of ultrasound along the cable is of great significance for establishing the mathematical model of PD and the layout method of ultrasonic detection terminal. This article adopted simulation and experiment to study the propagation law of PD ultrasound in cables. The results indicated that the propagation process of ultrasonic waves can be divided into three stages when ultrasonic waves propagate along the cables: the diffusion process with the characteristics of spherical waves, the propagation process which is rather similar to plane waves, and the transition process of both. When propagating along the cable, the ultrasonic amplitude attenuates and exhibits multi-peak characteristics as the distance increases. By analyzing the signal strength of the experimental results, it was found that the ultrasonic amplitude decays exponentially with propagation distance due to viscous heat loss of materials and the air gaps between cable layers, which provided a reference to the placement of distributed ultrasonic terminal for insulation weakness and design of spatial localization algorithm for PD.
"Study on Ultrasonic Propagation Characteristics of Partial Discharge in 10 kV
XLPE Cable," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 137, 223-233, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERC23062101
1. Tian, Y., et al., "Acoustic emission detection of Partial Discharges in polymeric insulation," 1999 Eleventh International Symposium on High Voltage Engineering, Vol. 1, 82-85, London, UK, 1999.
2. Nie, Y., X. Zhao, and S. Li, "Research progress in condition monitoring and insulation diagnosis of XLPE cable," High Voltage Engineering, Vol. 46, No. 04, 1361-1371, 2020.
3. Chen, Y., et al., "Voltage equivalence of partial discharge tests for XLPE insulation defects," IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 29, No. 2, 683-692, April 2022.
4. Nakanishi, Y., et al., "Partial dis-charge detection by AE sensors for prefabricated joints for XLPE cables," Electrical Engineering in Japan, Vol. 113, No. 8, 73-83, 1993. doi:10.1002/eej.4391130807
5. Czaszejko, T. and J. Sookun, "Acoustic emission from partial discharges in cable termination," ISEIM, 2014.
6. Hsieh, J.-C., et al., "The transmission characteristics of sound wave in power cable," 2008 International Conference on Condition Monitoring and Diagnosis, 1228-1231, Beijing, 2008. doi:10.1109/CMD.2008.4580510
7. Robles, G., M. Shafiq, and J. M. Martinez-Tarifa, "Multiple partial discharge source localization in power cables through power spectral separation and time-domain reflectometry," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, 1-9, 2019.
8. Rohwetter, P., R. Eisermann, K. Krebber, "Distributed acoustic sensing: Towards partial discharge monitoring," 24th International Conference on Optical Fiber Sensors, 96341C, 2015.
9. Rohwetter, P. and W. Habel, "Acoustic emission from DC pre-treeing discharge processes in silicone elastomer," IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 22, No. 1, 2015. doi:10.1109/TDEI.2014.004576
10. Czaszejko, T. and A. D. Stephens, "Toward acoustic detection of partial discharges in high voltage cables," 9th International Conference on Insulated Power Cables. Versailles: Jicable'15, E8.2, 2015.
11. Wang, W., X. Cheng, and C. Liu, "Study on the frequency spectrums of acoustic emission PD signals in XLPE cable accessories," 2008 International Conference on Condition Monitoring and Diagnosis, 1246-1249, Beijing, 2008. doi:10.1109/CMD.2008.4580514
12. Li, J., et al., "Measurement and analysis of partial discharge in XLPE power cable based on ultrasonic," Journal of Shaanxi Normal University (Natural Science Edition), Vol. 45, No. 6, 29-37, 2017.
13. Wang, Y., L. Xiong, H. Tang, and Z. Zhang, "Acoustic detection and decision fusion recognition of PD in power cable," 2021 IEEE 2nd China International Youth Conference on Electrical Engineering, 1193-1198, IEEE, 2021.
14. Ilkhechi, H. D., M. H. Samimi, "Applications of the acoustic method in partial discharge measurement: A review," IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 28, No. 1, 42-51, 2021. doi:10.1109/TDEI.2020.008985
15. Hsieh, J., et al., "The application of partial discharge detector and electro-acoustic signals analysis methods for power cables monitoring," 2012 IEEE International Conference on Condition Monitoring and Diagnosis, 157-160, Bali, 2012.