This paper presents the design of flexible parasitic element patch (FPEP) antenna with defects on ground plane at ISM band for biomedical application. The antenna resonates at 2.46 GHz frequency with reflection coefficient of -16.8 GHz in free space and at 2.45 GHz frequency when being placed on cotton and the single layer skin tissue of human body. The proposed parasitic element patch antenna is used to measure the body temperature, and the specific absorption rate (SAR) of the proposed antennas is 1.0 W/kg. The measurement data with respect to reflection coefficient, and radiation pattern are presented.
2. Li, X., M. Jalivand, Y. Sit, and T. Zwick, "A compact double-layer on-body matched bowtie antenna for medical diagnostics," IEEE Trans. on Antenna and Propag., Vol. 62, No. 4, 1808-1816, Apr. 2014.
3. Liu, C., Y.-X. Guo, and S. Xiao, "Capacitively loaded circularly polarized implantable patch antenna for ISM band biomedical applications," IEEE Trans. on Antenna and Propag., Vol. 62, No. 5, 2407-2417, May 2104.
4. Ketavath, K. N., D. Gopi, and S. Sandhya Rani, "In-vitro test of miniaturized CPW-fed implantable conformal patch antenna at ISM band for biomedical applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 43547-43554, 2019.
5. Lesnik, R., N. Verhovski, I. Mizrachi, B. Milgrom, and M. Haridim, "Gain enhancement of a compact implantable dipole for biomedical applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 10, 1778-1782, Aug. 2018.
6. Alrawashdeh, R. S., Y. Huang, M. Kod, and A. A. B. Sajak, "A broadband flexible implantable loop antenna with complementary split ring resonator," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1506-1509, 2015.
7. Raad, H. K., H. M. Al-Rizzo, A. Isaac, and A. I. Hammoodi, "A compact dual band polyimide based antenna for wearable and flexible telemedicine devices," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 63, 153-161, 2016.
8. Bao, X. L. and M. J. Ammann, "Compact annular-ring embedded circular patch antenna with cross-slot ground plane for circular polarization," Electronics Lett., Vol. 42, No. 4, Feb. 2006.
9. Behdad, N. and K. Sarabandi, "Wideband double-element ring slot antenna," Electronics Lett., Vol. 40, No. 7, Apr. 2004.
10. Terence, S., P. See, and Z. N. Chen, "Experimental characterization of UWB antennas for on-body communication," IEEE Trans. on Antenna and Propag., Vol. 57, No. 4, 866-874, Apr. 2009.
11. Abdulhasan, R. A., R. Alias, and K. N. Ramli, "A compact CPW fed UWB antenna with quad band notch characteristics for ISM band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 62, 79-88, 2017.
12. Kurup, D., M. Scarpello, G. Vermeeren, W. Joseph, K. Dhaenens, F. Axisa, L. Martens, D. V. Ginste, H. Rogier, and J. Vanfleteren, "In-body patch loss models for implants in heterogeneous human tissues using implantable slot dipole conformal flexible antennas," EURASIP Journal on Wireless Commun. and Networking, Article number: 51 (2011), 2011.
13. Naik, K. K. and D. Gopi, "Flexible CPW-fed split-triangular shaped patch antenna for WIMAX application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 70, 157-166, 2018.
14. Kang, C. H., S. J. Wu, and J. H. Tarng, "A novel folded UWB antenna for wireless body area network ," IEEE Trans. on Antenna and Propag., Vol. 60, No. 2, 1139-1142, Feb. 2012.
15. Hazanka, B., B. Basu, and J. Kumar, "A multi-layered dual-band on-body conformal integrated antenna for WBAN communication," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 95, 226-235, Oct. 2018.
16. Kumar, V. and B. Gupta, "On-body measurements of SS-UWB patch antenna for WBAN applications," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 70, No. 5, 668-675, May 2016.
17. Ali, S. M., V. Jeoti, T. Saeidi, and W. P. Wen, "Design of compact microstrip patch antenna for WBAN applications at ISM 2.4 GHz ," Indonesian Journal of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Vol. 15, No. 3, 1509-1516, Sept. 2019.
18. Gabriel, C., Compilation of the Dielectric Properties of Body Tissues at RF and Microwave Frequencies, King’s College, Londan, UK, 1996.
19. Gemio, J., J. Parron, and J. Soler, "Human body effects on implantable antennas for ISM bands applications: Models comparison and propagation losses study," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 110, 437-452, 2010.