A new miniature ultra-wideband exponential tapered slot antenna with gratings, which is fed by a 180 degree microstrip phase shifter network, has been introduced in this paper. The switch characteristic and the reflecting loss of the phase shifter is also analyzed. Some subminiature rectangular gratings are etched at the front and back end, as a result of which, the inner band characteristic is improved and the frequency band of the antenna is extended to more than 3 : 1 (S11 < −10 dB). The radiation pattern has good direction property in the entire bandwidth and favorable symmetrical endfire radiation characteristic as well as more than 10 dB gain in the central frequency band.
1. Cheng, Y., W. J. Lv, C.-H. Cheng, and W. Cao, "Design and analysis of a compact planar ultra-wideband antenna ," Chinese Journal of Radio Science, Vol. 21, No. 4, 582-583, Feb. 2006.
2. Wang, F. J. and J. S. Zhang, "Wide band cavity-backed patch antenna for PCS/IMI2000/2.4 GHz WLAN," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 39-46, 2005.
3. Eldek, A. A., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and C. E. Smith, "Dualwideband square slot antenna with a U-shaped printed tuning stub for personal wireless communication systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 53, 319-333, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04103001
4. Khodaei, G. F., J. Nouriniam, and C. Ghobade, "A practical miniaturized U-slot patch antenna with enhanced bandwidth," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 47-62, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07112201
5. Elsadek, H. and D. M. Nashaat, "Ultra miniaturized E-shaped PIFA on cheap foam and FR4 substrates," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 3, 291-300, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306775701759
6. Zhu, Y.-Z. and P. Li, "A novel ultra broadband planar monopole antenna for UHF," Chinese Journal of Electron Devices, Vol. 30, No. 2, 804-805, 2007.
7. You, M.-R., Design of Microwave Wideband Antenna , National Central University, Jungli, Taiwan, 2005.
8. Lee, K. F. and W. Chen, Advances in Microstrip and Printed Antennas, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1997.
9. Chen, N. W., C. T. Chuang, and J. W. Shi, "A W-band linear tapered slot antenna on rectangular-grooved silicon sub-strate ," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 6, 2007.
10. Sugawara, S., Y. Maita, K. Adachi, K. Mori, and K. Mizuno, "A mm-wave tapered slot antenna with improved radiation pattern ," 1997 IEEE MTT-S IMS Dig., 959-962, Denver, 1997.
11. Yngvesson, K. S., D. H. Schaubert, T. L. Korzeniowski, E. L. Kollberg, T. Thungren, and J. F. Johansson, "Endfire tapered slot antennas on dielectric substrates," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 33, 1392-1400, Dec. 1985. doi:10.1109/TAP.1985.1143542
12. Dib, N. I., R. N. Simons, and L. P. B. Katehi, "New uniplanar transitions for circuit and antenna application ," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques , Vol. 43, No. 12, Dec. 1995. doi:10.1109/22.475648