This paper deals with Approximate Analytical Solutions to nonlinear oscillations of a conservative, non-natural, single-degreeof- freedom system with odd nonlinearity. By extending the Variational approach proposed by He, we established approximate analytical formulas for the period and periodic solution.To illustrate the applicability and accuracy of the method, two examples are presented: (i) the motion of a rigid rod rocking back and forth on the circular surface without slipping, and (ii) Cubic-Quintic Duffing Oscillators. Comparison of the result which is obtained by this method with the obtained result by the Exact solution reveals that the He's Variational approach is very effective and convenient and can be easily extended to other nonlinear systems and can therefore be found widely applicable in engineering and other sciences.
1. He, J. H., Non-perturbative methods for strongly nonlinear problems, Dissertation, De-Verlag im Internet GmbH, Berlin,2006.
2. Nayfeh, A. H., Problems in Perturbations, Wiley, New York, 1985.
3. He, J. H., "Modified Lindstedt-Poincare methods for some strongly nonlinear oscillations. Part III: Double series expansion," International Journal Non-linear Science and Numerical Simulation, Vol. 2, 317, 2001.
4. He, J. H., "Anew perturbation technique which is also valid for large parameters ," J. Sound Vib., Vol. 229, 1257, 2000. doi:10.1006/jsvi.1999.2509
5. He, J. H., "Application of homotopy perturbation method to nonlinear wave equations," Chaos, Solitons and Fractals, Vol. 26, 695, 2005. doi:10.1016/j.chaos.2005.03.006
6. He, J. H., "Modified Lindstedt-Poincare methods for some strongly nonlinear oscillations, Part I: Expansion of a constant ," Int. J. Nonlinear Mech., Vol. 37, 309, 2002. doi:10.1016/S0020-7462(00)00116-5
7. He, J. H., "Modified Lindstedt-Poincare methods for some strongly nonlinear oscillations. Part II: Anew transformation," Int. J. Nonlinear Mech., Vol. 37, 315, 2002. doi:10.1016/S0020-7462(00)00117-7
8. He, J. H., "Homotopy perturbation method for solving boundary value problems ," Phys Lett A, Vol. 350, No. 87, 2006.
9. He, J. H., "Some asymptotic methods for strongly nonlinear equations," Int. J. Mod. Phys. B, Vol. 20, 1141-1199, 2006. doi:10.1142/S0217979206033796
11. He, J. H., "The homotopy perturbation method for nonlinear oscillators with discontinuities ," Appl. Math. Comput., Vol. 151, 287, 2004. doi:10.1016/S0096-3003(03)00341-2
12. Ganji, D. D. and A. Sadighi, "Application of He's homotopyperturbation method to nonlinear coupled systems of reaction-diffusion equations," Int. J. Nonlinear Sci. Numer. Simul., Vol. 7, No. 4, 411, 2006.
13. Rafei, M. and D. D. Ganji, "Explicit solutions of Helmholtz equation and fifth-order KdV equation using homotopy perturubation method," Int. J. Nonlinear Sci. Numer. Simul., Vol. 7, No. 3, 321, 2006.
14. Ganji, D. D., "The application of He's homotopy perturbation method to nonlinear equations arising in heat transfer," Phys. Lett., Vol. 355, 337, 2006.
15. Alizadeh, S. R. S., G. Domairry, and S. Karimpour, "An approximation of the analytical solution of the linear and nonlinear integro-differential equations by homotopy perturbation method," Acta Applicandae Mathematicae.
16. Gottlieb, H. P. W., "Harmonic balance approach to limit cycles for nonlinear jerk equations," J. Sound Vib., Vol. 297, 243, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.jsv.2006.03.047
17. Lim, C. W., B. S.Wu, and W. P. Sun, "Higher accuracy analytical approximations to the Duffing-harmonic oscillator," J. Sound Vib., Vol. 296, 1039, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.jsv.2006.02.020
18. Belendez, A., A. Marquez, T. Belendez, A. Hernandez, and M. L. Alvarez, "Harmonic balance approaches to the nonlinear oscillators in which the restoring force is inversely proportional to the dependen," Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 314, 775, 2008. doi:10.1016/j.jsv.2008.01.021
19. Belendez, A., A. Hernandez, T. Belendez, M. L. Alvarez, S. Gallego, M. Ortuno, and C. Neipp, "Application of the harmonic balance method to a nonlinear oscillator typified by a mass attached to a stretched wire," J. Sound Vib., Vol. 302, 1018, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.jsv.2006.12.011
20. Hu, H. and J. H. Tang, "Solution of a Duffing-harmonic oscillator by the method of harmonic balance," J. Sound Vib., Vol. 294, 637, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.jsv.2005.12.025
21. Hu, H., "Solution of a quadratic nonlinear oscillator by the method of harmonic balance ," J. Sound Vib., Vol. 293, 462, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.jsv.2005.10.002
22. Itovich, G. R. and J. L. Moiola, "On period doubling bifurcations of cycles and the harmonic balance method," Chaos Solitons Fractals, Vol. 27, 647, 2005. doi:10.1016/j.chaos.2005.04.061
23. Penga, Z. K., Z. Q. Langa, S. A. Billingsa, and G. R. Tomlinson, "Comparisons between harmonic balance and nonlinear output frequency response function in nonlinear system analysis," J. Sound Vib., Vol. 311, 56, 2008. doi:10.1016/j.jsv.2007.08.035
24. He, J. H., "Determination of limit cycles for strongly nonlinear oscillators ," Phys Rev Lett., Vol. 90, 174, 2006.
25. He, J. H., "Preliminary report on the energy balance for nonlinear oscillations ," Mechanics Research Communications, Vol. 29, 107-2002. doi:10.1016/S0093-6413(02)00237-9
27. Ozis, T. and A. Yildirim, "Determination of the frequency-amplitude relation for a Duffing-harmonic oscillator by the energy balance method," Comput Math Appl., Vol. 54, 1184, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.camwa.2006.12.064
29. He, J. H., "Variational iteration method --- Akind of nonlinear analytical technique: Some examples," Int. J. Nonlinear Mech., Vol. 34, 699, 1999. doi:10.1016/S0020-7462(98)00048-1
30. He, J. H. and X. H. Wu, "Construction of solitary solution and compaction-like solution by variational iteration method," Chaos, Solitons & Fractals,, Vol. 29, 108, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.chaos.2005.10.100
31. Rafei, M., D. D. Ganji, H. Daniali, and H. Pashaei, "The variational iteration method for nonlinear oscillators with discontinuities," J. Sound Vib., Vol. 305, 614, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.jsv.2007.04.020
32. Zhang, L. N. and J. H. He, "Resonance in Sirospun yarn spinning using a variational iteration method," Computers and Mathematics with Applications, Vol. 54, 1064, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.camwa.2006.12.050
33. Varedi, S. M., M. J. Hosseini, M. Rahimi, and D. D. Ganji, "He's variational iteration method for solving a semi-linear inverse parabolic equation," Physics Letters A, Vol. 370, 275, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.physleta.2007.05.100
34. Hashemi, K. S. H. A., N. Tolou, A. Barari, and A. J. Choobbasti, On the approximate explicit solution of linear and non-linear non-homogeneous dissipative wave equations, Istanbul Conferences, Torque, accepted, 2008.
38. He, J. H., "Variational principles for some nonlinear partial differential equations with variable coefficient," Chaos, Solitons & Fractals, Vol. 19, No. 4, 847, 2004. doi:10.1016/S0960-0779(03)00265-0
39. Nayfeh, A. H. and D. T. Mook, Nonlinear Oscillations, Wiley, New York, 1979.
40. Wu, B. S., C. W. Lim, and L. H. He, "A new method for approximate analytical solutions to nonlinear oscillations of nonnatural systems," Nonlinear Dynamics, Vol. 32, 1, 2003. doi:10.1023/A:1024223118496
41. Hamdan, M. N. and N. H. Shabaneh, "On the large amplitude free vibration of a restrained uniform beam carrying an intermediate a restrained uniform beam carrying an intermediate," J. Sound Vib., Vol. 199, 711, 1997. doi:10.1006/jsvi.1996.0672
42. Lai, S. K., C. W. Lim, B. S. Wu, C. Wang, Q. C. Zeng, and X. F. He, "Newtonharmonic balancing approach for accurate solutions to nonlinear cubicquintic Duffing oscillators," Applied Mathematical Modelling, 2008.