A novel wideband multilayered microstrip antennas with shorting pins and arc-shaped apertures loaded is designed and fabricated. The antenna consists of two dielectric substrates and a quasi H-shaped circular patch with five shorting pins and four arc-shaped apertures loaded on the upper layer. Multiple layers are employed to achieve wide bandwidth by stacked electromagnetic coupling. The arc-shaped apertures and shorting pins are used to excite multiple modes, which can change the cavity's electromagnetism characteristic with influencing the series-parallel connection inductance, so that the wide bandwidth is obtained. Effects of the key parameters on the wideband performance are also studied, and a set of optimum values is chosen for the antenna design. The impedance bandwidth (VSWR < 2.0) of the proposed antenna reaches 2.59 GHz with the measured results, which means the relative impedance bandwidth is expanded up to 34.7% across 6.17 to 8.76 GHz. Simulation results agree well with measured ones.
"A Novel Wideband Multilayered Microstrip Antenna with Shorting Pins and Arc-Shaped Apertures Loaded," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 10, 101-109, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC09062304
1. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, 18-23, Artech House, Boston, MA and London, 2003.
2. Carver, K. R. and J. W. Mink, "Microstrip antenna technology," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 29, 2-24, 1981. doi:10.1109/TAP.1981.1142525
4. Yang, G. M., R. H. Jin, G. B. Xiao, C. Vittoria, V. G. Harris, and N. X. Sun, "Ultrawideband (UWB) antennas with multiresonant split-ring loops," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 1, Jan. 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER07100202
5. Kaya, A., "High gain rectangular broad band microstrip antenna with embedded negative capacitor and chip resistor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 421-436, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07061909
6. Ang, B.-K. and B.-K. Chung, "A wideband E-shaped microstrip patch antenna for 5-6 GHz wireless communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 397-407, 2007. doi:10.1109/8.855497
7. Muk, C. L., K. M. Luk, K. F. Lee, and Y. L. Chow, "Experimental study of a microstrip patch antenna with an L-shape probe," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 48, 777-783, 2000. doi:10.2528/PIER07012002
8. Sadat, S., M. Houshmand, and M. Roshandel, "Design of a microstrip square-ring slot antenna filled by an H-shape slot for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 191-198, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIERB08011103
9. Ansari, J. A., R. B. Ram, and P. Singh, "Analysis of a gapcoupled stacked annular ring microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 4, 147-158, 2008. doi:10.1049/iet-map:20050255
10. Chiu, C. Y., H. Wong, and C. H. Chan, "Study of small wideband folded-patch-feed antennas," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 1, No. 2, 501-505, 2007. doi:10.1007/s10762-007-9228-6
11. Wang, S., et al., "Design of a compact millimeter-wave microstrip antenna with bandwidth and broad beam-width," Int. J. Infrared Millim. Waves, 513-519, 2007. doi:10.1049/el:19950426