Radio over Fiber (RoF) system has attracted much industry and research interest to extend the wireless cell coverage and reduce the cost by using the distributed remote antenna units (RAUs). However, the effective transmission fiber length in the RoF systems would be limited due to the time division duplex (TDD) mode used in the practical WiMAX access. Here, we study the transmission limitations and performances of the standard WiMAX signal for RoF systems. The throughputs and packet-losses at different fiber lengths are also investigated and analyzed. Besides, in order to increase the emitting power of the RAUs, a robust TDD switching mechanism is proposed in each RAU for RoF system.
"Understanding Standard OFDM WiMAX
Signal Access in Radio Over
Fiber System," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 10, 201-214, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC09081201
1. IEEE Std 802.16e/D12, Draft IEEE Standard for Local and metropolitan area networks, Part 16: Air Interface for Fixed and Mobile Broadband Wireless Access Systems.
2. Alemany, R., J. Perez, R. Llorente, V. Polo, and J. Marti, "Coexistence of WiMAX 802.16d and MB-OFDM UWB in radio over multi-mode fiber indoor systems," MWP/APMP'08, 74-77, 2008.
3. Usami, M., "Strategy for KDDI's next generation network," ICTON'08, Vol. 2, 182-189, 2008.
5. Kim, H., J. H. Cho, S. Kim, K. U. Song, H. Lee, J. Lee, B. Kim, Y. Oh, J. Lee, and S. Hwang, "Radio-over-fiber system for TDD-based OFDMA wireless communication systems," J. Lightw. Technol., Vol. 25, 3419-3427, 2007. doi:10.1109/JLT.2008.927158
6. Kalantari-Sabet, B., M. Mjeku, N. J. Gomes, and J. E. Mitchell, "Performance impairments in single-mode radio-over-fiber systems due to MAC constraints," J. Lightw. Technol., Vol. 26, 2540-2548, 2008.
7. Presi, M., K. Prince, A. Chiuchiarelli, I. Cerutti, G. Contestabile, I. Tafur Monroy, and E. Ciaramella, "Adaptive system for OFDMA WiMAX radio-over-fiber links using a directly modulated R-SOA and optical filtering ," OFC, Paper JWA74, 2009. doi:10.1049/el:20046724
9. Pereira, J. P. R., "A cost model for broadband access networks: FTTx versus WiMAX ," 2nd International Conference on Access Networks and Workshops, 1-8, 2007.
10. Dutta, G. and D. Das, "Performance study of an optical backbone MAC interconnecting WiMAX base stations over a city/county area," WOCC, 1-6, 2008. doi:10.1109/25.966592
11. Nishimori, K., K. Cho, Y. Takatori, and T. Hori, "Automatic calibration method using transmitting signals of an adaptive array for TDD systems ," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 50, 1636-1640, 2001. doi:10.1109/TVT.2004.825776
12. Cooper, W., J. R. Zeidler, and R. R. Bitmead, "Modeling dynamic channel-allocation algorithms in multi-BS TDD wireless networks with internet-based traffic," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 53, 783-804, 2004. doi:10.1109/LPT.2006.890087
13. Yu, J., Z. Jia, T. Wang, and G. K. Chang, "A novel radio-over-fiber configuration using optical phase modulator to generate an optical mm-wave and centralized lightwave for uplink connection," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 19, 140-142, 2007. doi:10.1109/JLT.2007.909201
14. Jia, Z., J. Yu, G. Ellinas, and G. K. Chang, "Key enabling technologies for optical-wireless networks: Optical millimeter-wave generation, wavelength reuse, and architecture," J. Lightw. Technol., Vol. 25, 3452-3471, 2007.
15. Chang, G. K., J. Yu, and Z. Jia, "Novel optical-wireless access network architecture for simultaneously providing broadband wireless and wired services," OFC, OFM1, 2006.
17. Cui, Y.-Y., Y.-Q. Sun, H.-C. Yang, and C.-L. Ruan, "A new triple-band CPW-fed monopole antenna for WLAN and WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 2, 141-151, 2008. doi:10.1109/75.658644
18. Radisic, V., Y. Qian, R. Coccioli, and T. Itoh, "Novel 2D photonic band gap structure for microstrip lines," Microwave Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 8, 69-71, 1998.