In this paper, a novel broadband monopole antenna with an extended rectangular shaped slot based on coplanar waveguide (CPW)-fed is designed and presented. The antenna composed of a planar rectangular patch element embedded with a slots, capable of generating two separate resonant modes with good impedance matching. The parametric study is performed to understand the characteristics of the proposed antenna. To verify the simulated design concept, a prototype antenna is designed and fabricated on the FR4 substrate, and characterized experimentally. The overall size of the antenna is 35.24 mm×26.4 mm×1.6 mm including the finite ground CPW feeding mechanism and total volume of the antenna is 1.49 cm3. The antenna operates in broad frequency bands from 3.424 GHz to 6.274 GHz covering wireless local area network (WLAN) and worldwide interoperability for microwave access (WiMAX) bands. The maximum gain of the proposed antenna is 5.51 dBi at 4.78 GHz frequency band. The proposed antenna‟s radiation characteristics are also observed.
1. Hsu, H.-T., F.-Y. Kuo, and P.-H. Lu, "Design of Wi-Fi/WiMAX dual-band E-shaped patch antennas through cavity model approach," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 2, 471-474, February 2010. doi:10.1002/mop.24954
2. Shin, Y.-S. and S.-O. Park, "A compact loop type antenna for bluetooth, S-DMB, WiBro, WiMAX, and WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 6, 320-323, 2007. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2007.899918
3. Liu, W. C., "Broadband dual-frequency CPW-fed antenna with a cross-shaped feeding line for WLAN application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, 1739-1744, July 2007.
4. Liu, W. C. and W. R. Chen, "CPW-fed compact meandered patch antenna for dual-band operation," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, 1094-1095, 2004. doi:10.1049/el:20045335
5. Lin, Y.-D. and P.-L. Chi, "Tapered bent folded monopole for dual-band wireless local area network (WLAN) systems," IEEE Antenna Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 4, 355-357, 2005. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2005.857035
6. Pan, C.-Y., T.-S. Horng, W.-S. Chen, and C.-H. Huang, "Dual wideband printed monopole antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications ," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 6, 149-151, 2007. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2007.891957
7. Wu, C.-M., "Dual-band CPW-fed cross-slot monopole antenna for WLAN operation," IET Microwave Antennas Propagation, Vol. 1, 542-546, 2007. doi:10.1049/iet-map:20050116
8. Augustin, G., P. C. Bybi, V. P. Sarin, P. Mohanan, C. K. Aanandan, and K. Vasudevan, "A compact dual-band planar antenna for DCS-1900/PCS/PHS, WCDMA/IMT-2000 and WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 108-111, 2008. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2008.919601
9. Krishna, D. D., M. Gopikrishna, C. K. Anandan, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "CPW-fed Koch fractal slot antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 389-392, 2008. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2008.2000814
10. Kim, T.-H. and D.-C. Park, "Compact dual-band antenna with double L-slits for WLAN operations," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 4, 249-252, 2005. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2005.852576
11. Sze, J.-Y., C.-I. G. Hsu, and S.-C. Hsu, "Design of a compact dual-band annular-ring slot antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 6, 423-426, 2007. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2007.902053
12. Liu, C.-S., C.-N. Chiu, and S.-M. Deng, "A compact discslit monopole antenna for mobile devices," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 251-254, 2008.
13. Mahatthanajatuphat, C. and P. Akkaraekthalin, "A bidirectional multiband antenna with modified fractal slot fed by CPW," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 59-72, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09061603
14. Song, Y., Y.-C. Jiao, G. Zhao, and F.-S. Zhang, "Multiband CPW-fed triangle-shaped monopole antenna for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 329-336, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07020201
15. Wu, C.-M., C.-N. Chiu, and C.-K. Hsu, "A new non-uniform meandered and Fork-type grounded antenna for triple-band WLAN applications ," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 346-348, 2006. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2006.880692