This paper deals with the design of a reconfigurable antenna that resembles a monolithic UWB bow-tie antenna for Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) applications. In particular, the attention is focussed on the design of the balun system able to work in the frequency band 0.3--1 GHz; the effectiveness of the design is shown by examining the behaviour of the scattering parameters S11 for both the reference monolithic antenna and the designed reconfigurable antenna. Also, an analysis of the radiation pattern of both the monolithic and reconfigurable antennas is presented and confirms the effectiveness of the designed balun system.
"Design of a Balun for a Bow Tie Antenna in Reconfigurable Ground Penetrating Radar Systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 18, 123-135, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERC10100409
1. Vazquez Antuna, C., G. Hotopan, S. Ver Hoeye, M. Fernandez Garcia, L. F. Herran Ontanon, and F. Las-Heras, "Microstrip antenna design based on stacked patches for reconfigurable two dimensional planar array topologies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 95-104, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09072107
2. Monti, G., L. Corchia, and L. Tarricone, "Patch antenna with reconfigurable polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 9, 13-23, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC09061505
3. Al-Maznaee, T. and H. E. Abd-El-Raouf, "Design of reconfigurable patch antenna with a switchable V-slot," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 6, 145-158, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC09011302
4. Myoung, S. S., J.-G. Yook, S. Y. Eom, S.-I. Jeon, T. Wu, R. Li, K. Lim, M. M. Tentzeris, and J. Laskar, "A reconfigurable active array antenna system with the frequency reconfigurable amplifiers based on RF mems switches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 13, 107-119, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERC10030602
5. Ali, M. T., M. R. B. Kamarudin, T. b. A. Rahman, R. Sauleau, and M. N. Md Tan, "Design of reconfigurable multiple elements microstrip rectangular linear array antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 6, 21-35, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC08122101
6. Persico, R. and G. Prisco, "A reconfigurative approach for SF-GPR prospecting," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propgation, Vol. 56, No. 8, 2673-2680, August 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.927516
7. Prisco, G. and R. Persico, "Reconfigurable stepped frequency GPR systems," 12th International Conference on Ground Penetrating Radar, GPR2008, Birmingham, UK, June 2008.
8. Lestari, A. A., E. Bharata, A. B. Suksmono, A. Kurniawan, A. G. Yarovoy, and L. P. Ligthart, "A modified bow-tie antenna for improved pulse radiation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 7, 2184-2192, July 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2048853
9. Kiminami, K., A. Hirata, and T. Shiozawa, "Double-sided printed bow-tie antenna for UWB communications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 3, 152-153, 2004. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2004.832126
10. Shlager, K. L., G. S. Smith, and J. G. Maloney, "Optimization of bow-tie antennas for pulse radiation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 42, No. 7, 975-982, July 1994. doi:10.1109/8.299600
11. Romano, N., G. Prisco, and F. Soldovieri, "Design of a reconfigurable antenna for ground penetrating radar applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 1-18, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09040802
12. Cummings, N. P., "Active antenna bandwidth control using reconfigurable antenna elements,", Ph.D. Thesis, Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University, 2003.
14. Soldovieri, F. and N. Romano, "The mutual interaction between the reconfigurable transmitting and receiving antennas in ground penetrating radar surveys," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 14-15, 1919-1928, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309789932359
15. Romano, N., F. Soldovieri, and R. Persico, "Design and numerical analysis of a new reconfirable antenna for georadar applications," 13th International Conference on Ground Penetrating Radar, GPR 2010, 1-5, Jun. 21-25, 2010.
16. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 2 Ed., 1998.