In this paper, a novel dumbbell shaped slot resonator (DSSR) is introduced and investigated based on a circuit theory and electromagnetic (EM) simulation. Lumped and distributed equivalent circuit models are then presented for an analysis of the proposed DSSR. The circuit and EM simulated results validate the DSSR's equivalent circuit models and their analysis methodologies. Since the proposed DSSR does not employ ground slots, additional etching process for the ground plane is not necessary. Thus, one can minimize the cost and fabrication errors. For the DSSR's applications, the miniaturized tunable DSSR and band-pass filter (BPF) are designed, simulated, and measured. The tunable DSSR does not require additional lumped DC-block capacitors since DC is isolated due to the coupled gap structures in an input and output. In the BPF design, two DSSRs are simply coupled by input/output ports. Both simulated and measured results of the designed tunable resonator and BPF show good agreement.
"Accurate Modeling of Microstrip Dumbbell Shaped Slot Resoantor (Dssr) for Miniaturized Tunable Resoantor and Band-Pass Filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 23, 137-150, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERC11071705
1. Chan, K. T., A. Chin, M.-F. Li, D.-L. Kwong, S. P. McAlister, D. S. Duh, W. J. Lin, and C. Y. Chang, "High-performance microwave coplanar bandpass and bandstop filters on Si substrates ," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 9, 2036-2040, Sep. 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.815890
2. Woo, D. and T. Lee, "Suppression of harmonics in Wilkinson power divider using dual-band rejection by asymmetric DGS," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 6, 2139-2144, Jun. 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.848772
3. Liu, H. W., Z. F. Li, X. W. Sun, and J. F. Mao, "An improved 1D periodic defected ground structure for microstrip line," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 14, No. 4, 180-182, Apr. 2004. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2004.827097
4. Ahn, D., J. S. Park, C. S. Kim, J. Kim, Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "A design of the low-pass filter using the novel microstrip defected ground structure," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 49, No. 1, 86-93, Jan. 2001. doi:10.1109/22.899965
5. Jung, D.-J. and K. Chang, "Low-pass filter design through the accurate analysis of electromagnetic-bandgap geometry on the ground plane," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 7, 1798-1805, Jul. 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2009.2022890
6. Balalem, A., A. R. Ali, J. Machac, and A. Omar, "Quasi-elliptic microstrip low-pass filters using an interdigital DGS slot," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Component Lett., Vol. 17, No. 8, 586-588, Aug. 2007. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2007.901769
7. Ting, S.-W., K.-W. Tam, and R. P. Martins, "Miniaturized microstrip lowpass filter with wide stopband using double equilateral U-shaped defected ground structure," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Component Lett., Vol. 16, No. 5, 240-242, May 2006. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2006.873592
8. Chen, J., Z.-B.Weng, Y.-C. Jiao, and F.-S. Zhang, "Lowpass filter design of Hilbert curve ring defected ground structure," Progress In Electronmagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 269-280, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07012603
9. Wang, X.-H., B.-Z. Wang, and K. J. Chen, "Compact broadband dual-band bandpass filters using slotted ground structure," Progress In Electronmagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 151-166, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08030101
10. Lim, J.-S., Y.-T. Lee, C.-S. Kim, D. Ahn, and S. Nam, "A vertically periodic defected ground structure and its application in reducing the size of microwave circuits," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Component Lett., Vol. 12, No. 2, 240-242, Dec. 2002.
11. Park, J.-S., J.-S. Yun, and D. Ahn, "A design of the novel coupled-line bandpass filter using defected ground structure with wide stopband performance," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 50, No. 9, 2037-2043, Sep. 2002. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.802313
12. Kim, C.-S., D.-H. Kim, I.-S. Song, K. M. K. H. Leong, T. Itoh, and D. Ahn, "A design of a ring bandpass filters with wide rejection band using DGS and Spur-line coupling structures ," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., 2183-2186, Jun. 2005.
13. Kwok, S. K., K. F. Tsang, and Y. L. Chow, "A novel capacitance formula of the microstrip line using synthetic asymptote," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 36, No. 5, 327-330, Mar. 2003. doi:10.1002/mop.10756
14. Chnag, K., Microwave Solid-state Circuits and Applications, Wiely, 1994.
15. Gopinath, A., "Maximum Q-factor of microstrip resoantors," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 29, No. 2, 128-131, Sep. 1981. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1981.1130308