We experimentally quantify the radiation of a small Ultra-Wideband (UWB) antenna placed on a human body. The measurements are performed for different antenna locations on the body, namely the head, torso and belt. First the antenna is measured in free space as reference, and then the influences of the body are investigated for different frequencies and antenna polarizations. We observe minimal signal blockage when the antenna is located on the head. It is around 5d B-10 dB loss for all polarizations. For the belt and torso, the blockage is 10 dB to 35 dB, for both polarizations.
1. Win, M. Z. and R. A. Scholtz, "Impulse radio: How it works," IEEE Communications Letters, Vol. 2, No. 2, 36-38, February 1998. doi:10.1109/4234.660796
2. Klemm, M. and G. Troster, "EM energy absorption in the human body tissues due to UWB antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 62, 261-280, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06040601
3. Alvarez, A., G. Valera, M. Loberia, and R. Torres, "New channel impulse response model for UWB indoor system simulations," IEEE VTC, 1-5, April 2003.
4. Nielsen, J. O. and G. F. Pedersen, "In network evaluation of body carried mobile terminal performance," Proc. 12th PIMRC, Vol. 1, D.109-D.113, September 2001.
5. Nielsen, J. O., G. F. Pedersen, K. Olesen, and I. Z. Kovacs, "Statistic of measured body loss for mobile phones," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, 1351-1353, September 2001. doi:10.1109/8.947029
6. Kotterman, W. A. T., G. F. Pedersen, K. Olesen, and P. Eggers, "Cable-less measurement set up for wireless handheld terminals," Proc. 12th International Symposium on Personal in Door and Mobile Radio Communication (PIMRC), Vol. 1, B.112-B.116, September 2001.
7. Alomainy, A., Y. Hao, C. G. Parini, and P. S. Hall, "Comparison between two different antennas for UWB on-body propagation measurements," Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 4, 31-34, 2005. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2005.844143
8. Welch, T. B., R. L. Musselman, B. A. Emessiene, P. D. Gift, D. K. Choudhury, D. N. Cassadine, and S. M. Yano, "The effects of the human body on UWB signal propagation in an indoor environment," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 20, No. 9, 1778-1782, December 2002. doi:10.1109/JSAC.2002.805243
9. De Jongh, R. V., A. G. Yarovoy, L. P. Ligthart, I. V. Kaploun, and A. D. Schukin, "Design and analysis of new GPR antenna concepts," Proceedings, Seventh International Conference on Ground-Penetrating Radar, Vol. 1, 81-86, Lawrence, USA, 1998.
10. Yarovoy, A. G., R. Pugliese, J. R. Zijderveld, and L. P. Ligthart, "Antenna development for UWB impulse radio," 34th European Microwave Conference, 1257-1260, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2004.
11. Gemio, J., J. Parron, and J. Soler, "Human body effects on implantable antennas for ism bands applications: Models comparison and propagation losses study," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 110, 437-452, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10102604
12. Verges, J., J. Anguera, C. Puente, and D. Aguilar, "Analysis of the human body on the radiation of FM handset antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 11, 2588-2590, November 2009. doi:10.1002/mop.24686
13. Pladevall, A., C. Picher, A. Andujar, and J. Anguera, "Some thoughts on human body effects on handset antenna at the FM band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 19, 121-132, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERM11040408