This paper focuses on the electromagnetic compatibility domain, coupling in microwave circuits and wideband (WB) impedance matching in time domain using a purely temporal method, such as the centered-points Finite Difference Time Domain (FDTD). The paper here presents a new approach of WB impedance matching in transient regime and coupling context, of active circuits such as multiple complex nonlinear components (represented here by metal semiconductor field-effect transistors (MESFETs)), using Nonuniform Multiconductor Transmission Lines (NMTL) with frequency dependent losses and FDTD as modeling method. The FDTD method has several positive aspects such as the ease to introduce nonlinear components in the algorithm, the ease to use NMTL and the gain in simulation time and memory space. Also the FDTD method allows the study of WB impedance matching in time domain without recourse to the frequency domain. Systematic comparisons of the results of this method with those obtained by PSpice are done to validate this study. These comparisons show a good agreement between the method presented here and PSpice. The technique presented in this paper shows higher efficiency and ease to implement when compared to PSpice in regard to the treatment of frequency dependent losses, or shapes of transmission lines.
"Wideband Impedance Matching in Transient Regime of Active Circuit Using Lossy Nonuniform Multiconductor Transmission Lines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 28, 27-45, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC11121607
2. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, 1990.
3. Liao, S. Y., Microwave Circuit Analysis and Amplifier Design, Prentice-Hall, 1987.
4. Ha, T. T., Solid-State Microwave Amplifier Design, John Wiley & Sons, 1981.
5. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, M., "Wideband or multiband complex impedance matching using microstrip nonuniform transmission lines ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 15-25, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06081503
6. Huang, X.-D., X.-H. Jin, and C.-H. Cheng, "Novel impedance matching scheme for patch antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 14, 155-163, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERL10040801
7. Zhang, B., "A D-band power amplifier with 30-GHz band-width and 4.5-DBM Psat for high-speed communication system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 161-178, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10060806
8. Reynolds, S. K., B. A. Floyd, U. R. Pfeiffer, T. Beukema, J. Grzyb, C. Haymes, B. Gaucher, and M. Soyuer , "A silicon 60-GHz receiver and transmitter chipset for broadband communications," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 41, No. 12, 2820-2831, Dec. 2006. doi:10.1109/JSSC.2006.884820
9. Powell, J., H. Kim, and C. G. Sodini, "SiGe receiver front ends for millimeter-wave passive imaging," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 11, 2416-2425, Nov. 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2008.2006103
10. Nicolson, S. T., A. Tomkins, K. W. Tang, A. Cathelin, D. Belot, and S. P. Voinigescu, "A 1.2 V, 140 GHz receiver with on-die antenna in 65nm CMOS," IEEE Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits Symposium, 229-232, Jun. 2008. doi:10.1109/RFIC.2008.4561424
11. Lin, Y.-J., S. S. H. Hsu, J.-D. Jin, and C. Y. Chan, "A 3.1-10.6 GHz ultra-wideband CMOS low noise amplifier with current-reused technique," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters , Vol. 17, No. 3, 232-234, Mar. 2007. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2006.890503
12. Nahman, N. and D. Holt, "Transient analysis of coaxial cables using the skin effect approximation A + B√s," IEEE Tran. on Circuit Theory, Vol. 19, No. 5, 443-451, Sept. 1972. doi:10.1109/TCT.1972.1083513
13. Yu, Q. and O. Wing, "Computational models of transmission lines with skin effect and dielectric loss," IEEE Trans. on Circuits And Systems - I: Fundamental Theory and Applications, Vol. 41, No. 2, 107-119, Feb. 1994. doi:10.1109/81.269047
14. Orlando, A. and C. R. Paul, "FDTD analysis of lossy, multiconductor transmission lines terminated in arbitrary loads," IEEE Trans. Electromagnetic Comp., Vol. 38, No. 3, 388-399, Aug. 1996. doi:10.1109/15.536069
15. Li, K., M. A. Tassoudji, R. T. Shin, and J. A. Kong, "Simulation of electromagnetic radiation and scattering using a finite difference time domain technique," Comput. Appl. in Eng. Education, Vol. 1, No. 1, 45-62, Sept./Oct. 1992..
16. Kabbaj, H. and J. Zimmermann, "Time-domain study of lossy nonuniform multiconductor transmission lines with complex nonlinear loads," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 29, No. 5, 296-301. doi:10.1002/mop.1160
17. Amharech, A. and H. Kabbaj, "Analysis of multiconductor transmission line loaded by multi MESFET transistors modeled by their large signal scheme: An FDTD approach," International Journal on Communications Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 1, No. 3, 2011.
18. Kuo, C. N., B. Houshmand, and T. Itoh, "Full-wave analysis of packaged microwave circuits with active and nonlinear devices: An FDTD approach," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 45, No. 5, 819-826, May 1997. doi:10.1109/22.575606
19. Su, H.-H., C.-W. Kuo, and T. Kitazawa, "A novel approach for modeling diodes into FDTD method," PIERS Proceedings, Marrakesh, Morocco, Mar. 20-23, 2011.